Mamba Monster X combo installed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nitro guys are rough on electrics because they keep blipping the trigger. The Mamba Monster is probably fine. They can take a beating. 6S and 2200Kv runs like a cheeta but you can't get a pinion small enough to keep it cool probably. A 6S , low KV, geared for like 45-50. Should run long and cool. The ESC's love voltage hate current. The motors have a watt rating. Look at the data log off the Mamba and look at the max current. Multiply by the max battery voltage. You should be at or under the motors watt rating. Then convert that to horse power if you want.

Yeah it is def fast. Lol. I am about to try a 13T pinion here Friday and see how it goes, mainly to test the esc. The new motor is a definite, just need to figure out which kv would be better between 1550 and 1750. Joe from Castle has been helping me out with the data logs since this started. Im just pulling too many amps causing shutdown esc.

Yeah it def runs hot. The esc constantly goes into thermal shutdown. I just bash with it ao constantly on and off throttle.
I came from a nitro tmaxx, had no rc for couple years then into the Nero. So the learning curve has been a bit steep in the wallet. Lol. If I had known more about electric ec's and KV's and what not I prob would not be in this mess. I'm dropping to a 6 pole 1550 or 1750 KV motor soon and possible changing esc if it's fried.
So the external Bec plugs into the extra channel labeled bat on your receiver. All the stuff that's plugs into the receiver gets power that way. It's important to program the Bec before you run it via CastleLink so that you can set it to the proper voltage. I haven't had any issues and part of the point of the external Bec is that if the Bec fries it won't fry your ESC because the ESC is no longer connected to the power going to the Bec since you pull out the wire from the ESCs clip. If you run an internal Bec and that Bec shorts out, since everything is connected , everything fries. Also I put in the 1500 today! It's Swee looking. Haven't been able to run it yet but it's in and waiting.

Attachments

• IMG_20161208_171845.jpg
    IMG_20161208_171845.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 97
So the external Bec plugs into the extra channel labeled bat on your receiver. All the stuff that's plugs into the receiver gets power that way. It's important to program the Bec before you run it via CastleLink so that you can set it to the proper voltage. I haven't had any issues and part of the point of the external Bec is that if the Bec fries it won't fry your ESC because the ESC is no longer connected to the power going to the Bec since you pull out the wire from the ESCs clip. If you run an internal Bec and that Bec shorts out, since everything is connected , everything fries. Also I put in the 1500 today! It's Swee looking. Haven't been able to run it yet but it's in and waiting.
So I get that the bec plugs into the receiver, but what kind of splice did you use to connect all the other things, servo, diff brain etc, into the one bec? Was it something like the picture I posted? Unless I'm just confused as to how it all hooks into the one external bec connection.
You gotta get that out asap! Haha. I need input as to get a 1550 or 1750 kv from Tenshock!!! I want to buy my motor here soon.
Also let me know what pinion you are running and temps if possible. I believe you are running the MMX correct?

So I get that the bec plugs into the receiver, but what kind of splice did you use to connect all the other things, servo, diff brain etc, into the one bec? Was it something like the picture I posted? Unless I'm just confused as to how it all hooks into the one external bec connection.
You gotta get that out asap! Haha. I need input as to get a 1550 or 1750 kv from Tenshock!!! I want to buy my motor here soon.
Also let me know what pinion you are running and temps if possible. I believe you are running the MMX correct?
Yah MMX - 19 tooth pinion. It's weird to get the motor on the mounting plate properly for a bigger pinion but once you find the spot it makes sense.
So you don't use any splicing or anything, just plug into the receiver and you're done.
So normally the way everything is wired - power comes out of batteries and into ESC. ESC does a current stepdown and sends it to the receiver. Everything else gets its power from the receiver. The power wires from the diff brain, steering servo, all that stuff in there are all "connected" together in the receiver so as long as it's getting power, they all get power.

This diagram is a good example. No power line connected between ESC and receiver, but as you can see power goes out from receiver to whatever is plugged in to it, and the external Bec is providing the receiver with that power. Ignore what's plugged into what channel name in this pic though. All channels will be plugged into same as stock, just with the red wire coming out of the ESC to the receiver unplugged from the harness.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161208-212108.png
    Screenshot_20161208-212108.png
    218.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Yeah it is def fast. Lol. I am about to try a 13T pinion here Friday and see how it goes, mainly to test the esc. The new motor is a definite, just need to figure out which kv would be better between 1550 and 1750. Joe from Castle has been helping me out with the data logs since this started. Im just pulling too many amps causing shutdown esc.

How many amps or what ESC temps caused it to shut down ? I hit 166.1 amps max on 6S for my current but the average is only 23.6 Amps. The ESC 156.7F max, average is 134 F, Lipo is real cool also, The motor 140F tops. That's in my setup now in the Kraton.

The Nero... which I'm interested in... is probably way heavier. Once you find your perfect setup..... it's a great thing. Hope you get that thing running nice. It doesn't look like a long can motor will fit in it ???? They keep their cool well and have lots of torque. It's hard to tell what kind of space is in there from pictures.

Last edited:
How many amps or what ESC temps caused it to shut down ? I hit 166.1 amps max on 6S for my current but the average is only 23.6 Amps. The ESC 156.7F max, average is 134 F, LiPo is real cool also, The motor 140F tops. That's in my setup now in the Kraton.

The Nero... which I'm interested in... is probably way heavier. Once you find your perfect setup..... it's a great thing. Hope you get that thing running nice. It doesn't look like a long can motor will fit in it ???? They keep their cool well and have lots of torque. It's hard to tell what kind of space is in there from pictures.
It has been hitting 220+ amps every time out, and I can't remember the temp. I have also been having a ton of battery ripple according to Joe. He was saying it was about 12% or so.. Initally he suspected the mesh was too tight, then he suggested I go to a 13T pinion. So I installed a 13T, and somewhere installing it the mesh screwed up and when I tested it with no tires, it chipped a tooth.. .
I finally got my new spur gear in and will test the 13T setup today. And I have had my batteries puff up on occasion also. So thats the back story, lol. I'lll know today of the 13T is better and also if the esc is already shot.

So the ubec just helps mantain the proper current to the other channels? I was under the impression that all the other equipment was unplugged from the receiver and plugged into the ubec. I think I understand now.
Also. Make sure tou double check that mesh. Haha. Don't wanna be like me amd get it all in and chip a damn tooth on the spur because it somehow moved during install.

Sounds like you are on your way to getting it right. Way to stick with it.... if that ESC is still good, that's awesome.

Sounds like you are on your way to getting it right. Way to stick with it.... if that ESC is still good, that's awesome.
Yeah it's been tough. Almost gave up on it after the spur gear.. Too bad I have a problem and can't leave the damn thing alone. Haha.
Here's to hoping the esc is still good.

Quick update folks. For whatever reason the stupid 13T pinion will not stay on the motor staft of the CC 2200 motor. Even with locktite it backed off. It sounds really weird and loud anyway. Arrma claims the Nero can be ran with as low as a 12T pinion, but I don't think the spur and motor like that combination as far as mesh goes.
So its time for a motor.., what do you think between 1550 kv and 1750 kv? It will be the Tenshock X802 V2 motor. Thanks!!

Quick update folks. For whatever reason the stupid 13T pinion will not stay on the motor staft of the CC 2200 motor. Even with locktite it backed off. It sounds really weird and loud anyway. Arrma claims the Nero can be ran with as low as a 12T pinion, but I don't think the spur and motor like that combination as far as mesh goes.
So its time for a motor.., what do you think between 1550 kv and 1750 kv? It will be the Tenshock X802 V2 motor. Thanks!!
I think you should make that choice in your battery preference. If most of the time you're on 4s I'd go 1750 and if you like 6s more I'd go 1550. And also what gearing you wanna run.

I think you should make that choice in your battery preference. If most of the time you're on 4s I'd go 1750 and if you like 6s more I'd go 1550. And also what gearing you wanna run.
I only have 6s, so that's pretty easy. Lol. As for gearing, I would like to run at least stock speeds, 40-50 or so. I really just want reliability and cool temps.

I only have 6s, so that's pretty easy. Lol. As for gearing, I would like to run at least stock speeds, 40-50 or so. I really just want reliability and cool temps.
Here's an example then

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161209-190252.png
    Screenshot_20161209-190252.png
    261.6 KB · Views: 82
I was actually on that site a while back but wasn't sure about the gear ratios so I didn't know if my numbers were right. Well I think I'll go for 1550 kv though. I just need to decide if on going to buy a new receiver also. There are 3 Im looking at based off rc juice support recommendations. What do you think, here are my options.
http://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/car-esc-s/1-8-esc-s/hobbystar-150a-brushless-sensored-esc-2-6s.html
http://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/ca...sensored-sensorless-car-esc-2-6s-1-8-1-5.html
http://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/car-esc-s/1-8-esc-s/toro-ts150-brushless-sensored-150a-esc.html
John at rcjuice recommended the hobbystar esc, but the fvt is 180A. So either the hobbystar or fvt I'm thinking.

I was actually on that site a while back but wasn't sure about the gear ratios so I didn't know if my numbers were right. Well I think I'll go for 1550 kv though. I just need to decide if on going to buy a new receiver also. There are 3 Im looking at based off rc juice support recommendations. What do you think, here are my options.
http://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/car-esc-s/1-8-esc-s/hobbystar-150a-brushless-sensored-esc-2-6s.html
http://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/ca...sensored-sensorless-car-esc-2-6s-1-8-1-5.html
http://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/car-esc-s/1-8-esc-s/toro-ts150-brushless-sensored-150a-esc.html
John at rcjuice recommended the hobbystar esc, but the fvt is 180A. So either the hobbystar or fvt I'm thinking.
I don't know enough about the other brands to really have a worthwhile reply. I'd just make sure it's waterproof and had good programmable features. What's the stock Nero ESC rated at? 180A?

I don't know enough about the other brands to really have a worthwhile reply. I'd just make sure it's waterproof and had good programmable features. What's the stock Nero ESC rated at? 180A?
Stock Nero is rated at 150A. And the monster X is sated at 120A, which I didn't know until I started talking with Joe.

Stock Nero is rated at 150A. And the monster X is sated at 120A, which I didn't know until I started talking with Joe.
Yah the stock ESC would be awesome if it was customizable. It's basically a rebranded xr8 plus but locked out which is too bad. If it wasn't locked out there'd be no compelling reason to swap it out ever.

Forgot to mention I got the car out with the 1500 it was really fun on 6s and really torquey. On 4s it doesn't have much top speed so that'll be my cheap but reliable 6s set up for, and I might use the stock motor on 4s for standard bashing. What I feel would be absolutely perfect would be like an 1800kv sensored motor with the stock gearing for jumping and a 19t for top end.

Last edited:
Yah the stock ESC would be awesome if it was customizable. It's basically a rebranded xr8 plus but locked out which is too bad. If it wasn't locked out there'd be no compelling reason to swap it out ever.

Forgot to mention I got the car out with the 1500 it was really fun on 6s and really torquey. On 4s it doesn't have much top speed so that'll be my cheap but reliable 6s set up for, and I might use the stock motor on 4s for standard bashing. What I feel would be absolutely perfect would be like an 1800kv sensored motor with the stock gearing for jumping and a 19t for top end.
Yeah it would be nice if it was programmable.
On that same note, I just purchased the Tenshock motor in 1550kv trim and hobbystar esc. They should be here by next weekend. I'll report back once it's in. I think I'll start with the 15T pinion and see how it does.. If what I'm thinking is correct, I should be able to run a pretty high pinion and still have it be cool, but I will proceed in phases..lol. God forbid I overheat another esc. So excited to have it installed.

Last edited:
Just yoinked my dead stock ESC. MMX going in while the dead one gets... actually I'm not sure what happens to the stock ESC now. When my Vorza ESC blew up on the 3rd run, they (Tower / Hobbico) just sent me a new one.

Just yoinked my dead stock ESC. MMX going in while the dead one gets... actually I'm not sure what happens to the stock ESC now. When my Vorza ESC blew up on the 3rd run, they (Tower / Hobbico) just sent me a new one.
Send it back and get a new one. I plan on sending in my atock Arrma stuff to them to have it fixed, it's still under warranty. Then I'll find myself an outcast roller chassis and bam!! Second car! Hehehe.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back