Mamba Monster X install??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLiM2775

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey everyone my Mamba Monster X combo with the 2200kv motor came today. I was gonna maybe try and install it myself but I have to solder the connectors on it and I'm a little worried I'm gonna mess something up. I tried looking online for a video on installing it in my Kraton 6s but couldn't find one with the Kraton anywhere. I'm a newb to RC Cars so I have never done anything like this or I have never soldered before. I bought a Soldering iron and a 3rd hand jig so I have the stuff to do it I just don't want to burn up $250 worth of electronics. Any advice would be great.

I had never soldered before when I got started into this hobby. Watch plenty of youtube videos about soldering and find some old connectors or something to practice on. It also helps to have flux paste and tip tinner, not absolutely necessary but it makes it easier.

Ok thanks I think I will practice Soldering connectors to pieces of spare wires first and see how it goes if I don't feel comfortable after doing that I will take it to my local hobby shop. Is there anything I should look out for when practicing?

Ok thanks I think I will practice Soldering connectors to pieces of spare wires first and see how it goes if I don't feel comfortable after doing that I will take it to my local hobby shop. Is there anything I should look out for when practicing?
Just make sure you have good contact between the iron and the connector.

Not sure what you have for iron or tips but doing the connectors you want a decently strong iron 80-90w and bigger tip that allows you to transfer the heat into the part quickly. If the tip is to small the connector won't get hot enough to melt the solder. Also, if you can find lead solder it melts at lower temp than the non leaded.

Not sure what you have for iron or tips but doing the connectors you want a decently strong iron 80-90w and bigger tip that allows you to transfer the heat into the part quickly. If the tip is to small the connector won't get hot enough to melt the solder. Also, if you can find lead solder it melts at lower temp than the non leaded.
I went a little overboard and bought a Soldering station with heat gun. I also got some rosin Flux and I got lead free tip tinner. I did get a xt90 connector soldered to some spare wires but it didn't turn out to great. I will keep trying. My biggest problem is my hands shake for some reason hopefully that will go away with practice. And I was using a small tip which probably didn't help much so I will put on a bigger tip thanks for all the help.
Screenshot_20170323-060533.png

For the big plugs and thick cables you need a bigger tip and more heat.
Your soldering station is nice, but I think that these is normally for SMD-Parts.
I had planned to buy an similar station for soldering small parts, I just have an very old Weller station but with tips and not hot air.

For the XT90 plugs I use an normal solder iron with 80W. Just take care that you don´t heat up the soldering point too long.
Plastic are really don´t like heat! ;) It is just enough if the solder goes liquid and will flow around the cable into the plug.

I try to bring it to a point.. Enough heating power to bring plug and cable in a short time to soldering temperature after you already had put a little bit solder on the plug and also the cable end.

One more point is to keep the cable still in the position, other ways you´re connection ist bad.
If you take enough amps over an bad soldering, it will be unsoldered by themselves, because it will be getting very hot! :)

I can't better explain, because my main language is german....

I would recommend solder that melts at a higher temp cause thats been my problem having connectors come apart when im pushing almost 300amps.

I went a little overboard and bought a Soldering station with heat gun. I also got some rosin Flux and I got lead free tip tinner. I did get a xt90 connector soldered to some spare wires but it didn't turn out to great. I will keep trying. My biggest problem is my hands shake for some reason hopefully that will go away with practice. And I was using a small tip which probably didn't help much so I will put on a bigger tip thanks for all the help.View attachment 9027
I have one that looks similar to that and it works well for small things as well as connectors to larger cable. Just turn your heat up for the big stuff and use one of the bigger tips and get good contact with the connector. Plugging another connector into the one you are soldering helps stabilize the connectors in the plastic and keeps from deforming them.

I have one that looks similar to that and it works well for small things as well as connectors to larger cable. Just turn your heat up for the big stuff and use one of the bigger tips and get good contact with the connector. Plugging another connector into the one you are soldering helps stabilize the connectors in the plastic and keeps from deforming them.
Thats AN AWESOME SUGGESTION TO PLUG IN ANOTHER CONNECTOR!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back