Kraton Mamba Monster X smoking motors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boopernator71

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I am stumped. Ive been in RC long enough to check the obvious things, gearing, drive train binding, Lipo battery discharge rate, and bad wiring. But this is just beyond me now. I have smoked one Mamba monster X and almost smoked another. I have updated the ESC from Castle Link, and the same thing is happening. When I get on the throttle, it seems under powered and then cogs from a stand still. If I stay on the throttle Poof out comes the smoke. I just put in a new motor esc combo and tested it out. It ran fine for a few minuets then the problems began. I shut it down and the motor and motor wires were hot? It is a 1800 Kv Castle motor stock gearing on the Kraton. My first Monster X ran like a champ for almost a year I think, mud, snow wet and bashed hard. Any ideas? I have a stock Kraton ESC motor combo on the bench waiting to go in, I just would like to know what I'm missing.
Thank you

Just bumping this to see if there are any ideas here. I have tested the IR of my battery with my charger. The battery is a Zippy 6s 5000mah 60c and the charger is an iCharger 308 duo. When I test the IR with the charger I get 11.2m ohms. It shows each cel averaging 1.8 m ohms, my guess is that is a decent reading for a battery that is about 6 months old. The stock Arrma esc motor combo is still on the bench for now, but after the holiday I think I will slap it in and see what happens. Any suggestions are welcome.. Thanks

Definitely sounds like crossed wires but without seeing it in person its hard to say. Hate to state obvios things but what receiver do you have and are you plugged in to the right channel? Im just speculating. Anything is possible! One of the wires is cut and exposed? Does the car role freely without the motor pinion installed? Or bad receiver? I would take out motor and see if the car rolls freely to see if there's anything binding or snagged in the drivetrain once you're sure that's not the problem obviously then you can move on to the electrical part.

Last edited:
I will check the receiver wires, I don't remember looking too closely at those. They should be plugged into the correct slots because it ran normally with steering and throttle operation. And I will defiantly be checking for binding after I remove the motor. Thanks for the tips.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back