Mamba Monster X8s or Hobbywing Max5 ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC-Dude

Very Active Member
Reaction score
What is the better choice for a fast everyday Limitless / Typhon basher?

I am not talking extreme speed runs but the what is the better ESC for everyday bashing?
Speeds max 110mph. But mostly 80 - 90mph and actually driving all the time without having to check heat.

Seems to me the Max5 is the safer choice for 1/5 cars. About double the weight of the MMx8s and therefore better able to get rid of heat (larger surface area).

Honestly...if you have the space, spend the couple of bucks more and get the XLX2. I know you're not going for extreme speeds, but it runs a lot cooler, it has a far higher current ceiling, it doesn't need a cap pack, if you ever want to go faster (and chances are, you probably will) you'll have the headroom to do so. That's my position anyways. In the long run, it's just the better choice.

I’d recommend sensored for better low speed control and max 8 g2 at 160A is plenty for 110mph gearing.

Honestly...if you have the space, spend the couple of bucks more and get the XLX2. I know you're not going for extreme speeds, but it runs a lot cooler, it has a far higher current ceiling, it doesn't need a cap pack, if you ever want to go faster (and chances are, you probably will) you'll have the headroom to do so. That's my position anyways. In the long run, it's just the better choice.
+1
I bought the MMX8s thinking I’d bash and do a few speedruns but the itch do go faster escalated quickly so I ended up getting a xlx2.

Max 6 would probably be good enough for bashing and 110 mph but xlx2 would be my choice…..

I agree with this. If you don't want to go xlx2 you should definitely go mmx8s over max 5 in my opinion. Personally I'd never even consider a max 6 in a street basher unless you don't zip around much. Though a max 5 would definitely fare better.

The max 6 in the wifey stretch typhon hardly ever thermals. The max 6 I had in my felony thermal so easily with my driving and gearing I put in an mmx8s and never thermal again 🤣

Xlx2 is worth the extra 50$ in a on road rig.

I agree with this. If you don't want to go xlx2 you should definitely go mmx8s over max 5 in my opinion. Personally I'd never even consider a max 6 in a street basher unless you don't zip around much. Though a max 5 would definitely fare better.

The max 6 in the wifey stretch typhon hardly ever thermals. The max 6 I had in my felony thermal so easily with my driving and gearing I put in an mmx8s and never thermal again 🤣

Xlx2 is worth the extra 50$ in a on road rig.

Got the Max6 1650kv in one V2 Limitless with 32T pinion and 39T spur. Top speed calculated is 126km/h / 78mph. The Max 6 ESC does shut down after a few minutes at just 4 - 5 degrees C. So in Summer it's just no option. Ordered a 46T spur and when it arrives from the USA I'll see.

Got a TP4070_1400KV and Max 6 would be just too much on the slow side.

MMx8s - never thermal again - that's the info I am looking for.

I’d recommend sensored for better low speed control and max 8 g2 at 160A is plenty for 110mph gearing.

Don't have any sensored motors (yet :ROFLMAO: ). So I figured the Max6 is the better option over Max8 g2 as I might use it with 8s in another rig some time later. But I'll have a closer look. Perhaps something for my Street-Typhon SWB chassis (All Limitless V1 on Typhon chassis, stock Arrma motor and ESC).

Have not found a clean nice stretch do do speed runs. Basically my main problem. Kind of jealous of those who live in the desert and have long wide roads and lots of sand bashing area. Cap pack - read about that for the MMx8s but forgot about that.

I’m surprised nobody mentioned my favorite Castle feature - editable motor temp cutoff. Especially since you mentioned not wanting to monitor heat levels.

It’s awesome. I never use my thermometer anymore. I know the car will shut down automatically if the motor gets too hot. And I can see detailed heat readings via Castle data logs after a run.

You need a sensored motor though.

I’m surprised nobody mentioned my favorite Castle feature - editable motor temp cutoff. Especially since you mentioned not wanting to monitor heat levels.

It’s awesome. I never use my thermometer anymore. I know the car will shut down automatically if the motor gets too hot. And I can see detailed heat readings via Castle data logs after a run.

You need a sensored motor though.
At what temperature do you set it?

I assumend the Max5 would be better able to handle heat than the Mamba MMX8s due to it's size. Good I asked.

The Max8 would be pretty underpowered for this application. I imagine it would overheat in a hurry.
At what temperature do you set it?
Castle recommends setting it to 200F. I set mine to 170F because I baby my electronics and that’s plenty hot for my taste.

First let me say that @Diem Turner is 100% correct in what he said. But for me relocating everything was more then I wanted to get into for what I wanted a weekend basher. I’m running the MMX8S/1650kv in both of mine 6S max in one (my sons) 8S in mine (25%-30%) of the time the rest 6S. I have PPS mount so I can run bigger gearing also I’ve run into the mid 90mph range with no cap pack just tuning with the Bluetooth link. I’ve been running this for a little over a year with no problems. I was getting my sons ready this morning for bashing tonight.

AA043662-C1A2-4271-AD4D-87F3636720FA.png

867C5841-FD0C-4B4D-96C8-A927394A6757.png

C1D0A463-2172-41EB-82F6-D9CBDA78DE8C.png

First let me say that @Diem Turner is 100% correct in what he said. But for me relocating everything was more then I wanted to get into for what I wanted a weekend basher. I’m running the MMX8S/1650kv in both of mine 6S max in one (my sons) 8S in mine (25%-30%) of the time the rest 6S. I have PPS mount so I can run bigger gearing also I’ve run into the mid 90mph range with no cap pack just tuning with the Bluetooth link. I’ve been running this for a little over a year with no problems. I was getting my sons ready this morning for bashing tonight.

View attachment 272125

View attachment 272126

View attachment 272127
What driveshaft is that?

I've been looking into upgrading the ESC in my Sledge, so this is good feedback, except I'm hauling around 13 lbs, not 7. Castle vs Hobbywing, what's more reliable for general bashing? Is it worth upgrading the stock motor to a 1515 (fits in stock location), or just running a better ESC and leaving the motor stock? Someday I'll probably end up dropping a few hundred on a new chassis and motor mount...or buy something else. I don't think I'll be leaving much stock for long.

I've been looking into upgrading the ESC in my Sledge, so this is good feedback, except I'm hauling around 13 lbs, not 7. Castle vs Hobbywing, what's more reliable for general bashing? Is it worth upgrading the stock motor to a 1515 (fits in stock location), or just running a better ESC and leaving the motor stock? Someday I'll probably end up dropping a few hundred on a new chassis and motor mount...or buy something else. I don't think I'll be leaving much stock for long.
I’d say all the same advice applies. Nobody was ever talking about a 7 pound rig. My Infraction (same as limitless) weighs about 13 pounds.

I’m not sure it’d be worth spending the cash on a new motor unless you go bigger. I know that’s complicated with the Sledge.

The Max8 would be pretty underpowered for this application. I imagine it would overheat in a hurry.

Absolutely not with 110mph gearing and using an efficient motor like the 4274. It’s a 160 amp ESC where I gear to 80mph off-road drawing near 1000amps.

Castle/TP inefficient motors and bashing 140+ Mph gearing it’ll get warm but that’s not what he’s asking.

Kind of amazed how I can run back and forth with a heavy XRT, Mojave or Kraton 6s with a Max6 in sand and it's ok.
But the same ESC on a Limitless just shuts down.

Absolutely not with 110mph gearing and using an efficient motor like the 4274. It’s a 160 amp ESC where I gear to 80mph off-road drawing near 1000amps.

Castle/TP inefficient motors and bashing 140+ Mph gearing it’ll get warm but that’s not what he’s asking.
Okay so you’re saying:
  • Max8 will not overheat on 110mph gearing
  • 4274 motor is big enough to bash on 110mph gearing
  • Castle and TP motors are inferior to Hobbywing motors
I think we’re too far apart for me to continue this debate.

Seems to me the Max8 is identical to Max6 but only for 6s instead of 8s. Amp specs are same. Max6 in the V1 Limitless going over 100mph - don't think that's possible. My ESC shut down before at about 150km/h. Perhaps me too fast on the trigger so it shut down but anyway could not make it work.

Max6 in Talion and Kraton - very impressed what it can take. But those I gear for about 85km/h - 50mph as I mostly drive in pretty soft sand.

I’d say all the same advice applies. Nobody was ever talking about a 7 pound rig. My Infraction (same as limitless) weighs about 13 pounds.

I’m not sure it’d be worth spending the cash on a new motor unless you go bigger. I know that’s complicated with the Sledge.
It just got a lot easier. I just bent the chassis so it's time to go M2C the thing. That makes new power options easy.

Kind of amazed how I can run back and forth with a heavy XRT, Mojave or Kraton 6s with a Max6 in sand and it's ok.
But the same ESC on a Limitless just shuts down.
Seriously! I'm still surprised people run the max 6 in the XRT/Xmaxx and have no problems. Maybe the motor makes a big difference? To be fair, my kraton 6s uses the max 6 combo and I've never hit thermal with that either. I think it's geared like 23/50 or something like that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back