Senton Mandatory upgrades for Senton 3S?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldskool

Reaction score
Hi,
I'd like to know which upgrades should be done first on my Senton.
This are the changes I already made or parts I ordered:
  • Changed the RX/TX to FS GT3B and GR3E.
  • Changed the servo to DS3218.
  • Adjustable motor mount (not installed yet)
  • Ordered sealed bearing kit.
I'm planning to get a dust cover and reinforced skid plates, although I don't know which ones yet.

I'm trying to make the car pretty much bulletproof so any recommendations are much appreciated ☺

I'd say you have the initial upgrades covered, just watch the shocks as they are notorious for leaking @Camaroboy383 has a cheap fix for this.

Hi,
Changed the RX/TX to FS GT3B and GR3E.
Changed the servo to DS3218.
Adjustable motor mount (not installed yet)
Ordered sealed bearing kit.
I'm planning to get a dust cover and reinforced skid plates, although I don't know which ones yet.

I'm trying to make the car pretty much bulletproof so any recommendations are much appreciated ☺
I would skip the skid plates. If you are taking about the TBone skid, it is a PITA to install the screw near the motor as well as it blocks the other screws and makes you take it all the way off to do other simple tasks. Mine are sitting in a box collecting dust. Worthless.

Hi,

Front and rear diff check & fill...other than that you have a good handle on it !

I would skip the skid plates. If you are taking about the TBone skid, it is a PITA to install the screw near the motor as well as it blocks the other screws and makes you take it all the way off to do other simple tasks. Mine are sitting in a box collecting dust. Worthless.
Are they really that bad? Seems like it would be a fairly easy install? I've not used my Senton yet, waiting for this to arrive from the US (I'm in the UK) because I didn't want to scuff up the underside of my chassis before they arrived. Are there any alternatives?
Hi,

Sounds like you know what you're on about and I definitely don't, so here's my questions:

What the heck are an RX/TX and FS GT3B and GR3E?

And what's the benefit of an adjustable motor mount and where do you get one from?

Also, is there a guide for changing the bearings somewhere? I've ordered the Fastest Bearing kit for my Senton 3s, but haven't got around to installing it yet. Would really like a guide if there is one.

Also somebody mentioned checking the diff fluids... Do they tend to come not correctly filled?

Are they really that bad? Seems like it would be a fairly easy install? I've not used my Senton yet, waiting for this to arrive from the US (I'm in the UK) because I didn't want to scuff up the underside of my chassis before they arrived. Are there any alternatives?

Sounds like you know what you're on about and I definitely don't, so here's my questions:

What the heck are an RX/TX and FS GT3B and GR3E?

And what's the benefit of an adjustable motor mount and where do you get one from?

Also, is there a guide for changing the bearings somewhere? I've ordered the Fastest Bearing kit for my Senton 3s, but haven't got around to installing it yet. Would really like a guide if there is one.

Also somebody mentioned checking the diff fluids... Do they tend to come not correctly filled?
A chassis is like $9 here in the US, so I could care less if it gets scuffed. Yes the one screw by the motor is hard to get to without taking out the motor, which you can’t do because the skid plate blocks the red block screw.

Rx is the receiver, tx the transmitter.
I use a Flysky Gt3b transmitter and the Flysky Gr3e receiver.
I changed the bearings today but didn't use any guide.
The adjustable motor mount is an Arrma spare part that should be easy to get. You can adjust the mesh properly and use other sizes, like 17t for example. Part number is AR310898.
When changing the bearings you must open the diff cups and then you can see if there is enough fluid in them.
I used 10000 cps fluid in the rear diff and 20000 cps in the front. Didn't check out how that works out yet.

Last edited:
A chassis is like $9 here in the US, so I could care less if it gets scuffed. Yes the one screw by the motor is hard to get to without taking out the motor, which you can’t do because the skid plate blocks the red block screw.
Damn, it's not that cheap here, and has to be shipped from the US.
Rx is the receiver, tx the transmitter.
I use a Flysky Gt3b transmitter and the Flysky Gr3e receiver.
I changed the bearings today but didn't use any guide.
The adjustable motor mount is an Arrma spare part that should be easy to get. You can adjust the mesh properly and use other sizes, like 17t for example.
When changing the bearings you must open the diff cups and then you can see if there is enough fluid in them.
I used 10000 cps fluid in the rear diff and 20000 cps in the front. Didn't check out how that works out yet.
All this sounds way over my head. How do you get the mesh right? (And how do you know you've got it right?)

I have a different pinion gear to use with bigger tyres, so would it be good for me to have an adjustable motor mount?

Are there any guides for all this stuff? I'm handy enough once I know what I'm doing, just need a guide to show me what to do, else I'm liable to do something monumentally daft.

You can find useful how to videos on Youtube to adjust gear mesh.
If you use the wrong gear ratio your electronics can overheat.

OK, that looks fairly simple, actually. Is there no adjustment in the stock motor mounts then?

And regarding the diff oil, I'm assuming you just put a thicker oil in the rear diff to get it to lock up sooner than the front for more tail out action?

OK, that looks fairly simple, actually. Is there no adjustment in the stock motor mounts then?

And regarding the diff oil, I'm assuming you just put a thicker oil in the rear diff to get it to lock up sooner than the front for more tail out action?

The stock motor mount has preset holes for different pinion sizes, check the pic. No adjustment possible.

I chose thicker fluid in the front. You can adjust the driving behavior, but that's a thing of personal preferences.

Attachments

• IMG_20200204_134807.jpg
    IMG_20200204_134807.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 30
Most people want thinner in the rear to help with steering action. The rear wheels under power do as much for steering as the front wheels. If you lock up the rear, you will have to slow to steer.

Well, unless they're spinning of course, then you get a powerslide I suppose.

Doesn't having the front lock up sooner give you understeer though?

Well, unless they're spinning of course, then you get a powerslide I suppose.

Doesn't having the front lock up sooner give you understeer though?
If it's thinner than the rear yes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back