Marking diff cups when rebuilding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondilly1974

Speed running apprentice, motor Slayer 🤘
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon 3s
Do you mark your diff cups when building them? I want to know what fluid I used last time I built them. It would be super easy if I could mark the cups accordingly. I tried a silver Sharpie but it isn’t always easy to read after use and grease. I was thinking a little 3D printed tag but not sure where it would be safe to place? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔

Do you mark your diff cups when building them? I want to know what fluid I used last time I built them. It would be super easy if I could mark the cups accordingly. I tried a silver Sharpie but it isn’t always easy to read after use and grease. I was thinking a little 3D printed tag but not sure where it would be safe to place? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔
Paint a square with silver paint and then write on the paint with black sharpie, that's how the guy who owned my Tekno had his diffs marked and it was pretty easy to read.

I’ve used white paint pens and they seem to work well and still show up through grease

Paint a square with silver paint and then write on the paint with black sharpie, that's how the guy who owned my Tekno had his diffs marked and it was pretty easy to read.
Like the bottom of the cup? Hard to do the side with all the ridges.

Just put a piece of paper in the rec box 🤷🏻‍♂️ maybe a piece of masking tape on the side of the battery tray?
I had been marking the diff housing under the sway bar cover but the sway bars rubbed it off a little.

I had been marking the diff housing under the sway bar cover but the sway bars rubbed it off a little.
Old style label marker 😂🤣
Season 3 Episode 13 GIF by The Simpsons

Well obviously, your going to have to have them engraved. 😜

I keep notes on my phone, when I need to remember something like that.

I usually rebuild a set of spare diffs and throw them in a small plastic bag with a Dymo label that has the build date, shim info, fluid wt, etc. on it. When I swap it into a vehicle, I throw that bag in with a gallon-sized Ziploc bag that has all the associated parts for that vehicle. It's pretty easy to just go into my tub of parts, pull out the particular vehicle bag and get all the diff info .

You could always get a tattoo with the oil weights on your arm..😉🤣🤣

Seriously though, I just use paint pen on the gear or case..👍🏼

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back