Mavic Pro debut

How long will it take for me to break something?

• Instantly

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 1 min

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 mins

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 1 hour

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Much sooner than any other choice

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondilly1974

Speed running apprentice, motor Slayer 🤘
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon 3s
Hoping my new gimbal comes today for my Mavic Pro (Flying GoPro). I bought it used with a bad gimbal for $450 thinking that it was just the $11 flex cable that needed replaced, but something else was wrong, so I ended up buying a whole gimbal for $100. Tracking says it will be here today.

Hoping my new gimbal comes today for my Mavic Pro (Flying GoPro). I bought it used with a bad gimbal for $450 thinking that it was just the $11 flex cable that needed replaced, but something else was wrong, so I ended up buying a whole gimbal for $100. Tracking says it will be here today.
I can't vote on this one, because there is no option for "it won't break". You autopilot that baby, and it's out of your hands. So as long as you don't try to fly it yourself............

I can't vote on this one, because there is no option for "it won't break". You autopilot that baby, and it's out of your hands. So as long as you don't try to fly it yourself............
I plan on taking baby steps with it. But it’s like Ed in his videos saying he’s gonna take it easy on his rig, and then talk himself into the BMX berm launch two seconds later. I have that same lack of impulse control. I say I’m gonna stick with auto pilot, then I will see a bird fly by and try to chase it ???‍♂️

If there is a wind, will the auto pilot correct for it? I thought I heard that you still have to manually bring it back if the wind blows it from it's original point. Just curious.

If there is a wind, will the auto pilot correct for it? I thought I heard that you still have to manually bring it back if the wind blows it from it's original point. Just curious.

Its got a gps so he should be able to set 'position hold'

....as long as the wind isnt too strong, he has calibrated his compass/gyro and has a gps fix.

I believe they have a barometer onboard too? In which case he could also 'position & altitude hold'

I fly racing quads, some of our flight controllers have a baro, some of us also stick a gps on them for return to home if we ever lose video signal.
A bit different from a mavic with more racing/tuning focused flight control software but it can be done with a bit less functionality and features if we set it up as a camera rig with a gimbal.

It will give a warning if it’s too windy and fly back home. Home can be where it took off or where the controller is. It’s for sure not a racing drone. This is a glorified flying GoPro as I’ve mentioned. My use case is for shooting videos, with a side of flying fun. This will be my first attempt at flying anything. The only time I’ve left the surface is jumping my Arrmas.

You can do FPV with it, but I’m pretty sure by law you’re supposed to stay in line of sight. The guy who sold it to me said he would sit in his living room, display it on his TV, and fly it around his neighborhood. I don’t know how truthful that was. He could have been saying whatever he thought I wanted to hear to sell it, so grain of salt there.

My main use will be to use the track object feature to follow my rigs while bashing and getting better footage.... of them breaking.

I didnt vote because I don't think you will break anything if you RTFM and watched a few vids about maiden flight prep, do's and don'ts.
They are pretty idiot proof and you don't strike me as being an idiot. :D

I didnt vote because I don't think you will break anything if you RTFM and watched a few vids about maiden flight prep, do's and don'ts.
They are pretty idiot proof and you don't strike me as being an idiot. :D
Thanks for the shot of confidence! Well I flew it straight up in the air like 40ft, rotated 360 degrees, then landed it. Time to charge everything all the way up and RTFM a little. ?

One tip for new flyers, if you're using an iphone, turn your phone to do not disturb. If you receive a call while you're flying and the dji app crashes, you can become disoriented and panic. It doesn't happen every time but it can happen. If you have time, learn how to fly a drone manually and you'll have all the skills you need for the smart drones when their gps/apps have errors. The mavic pro and pro zoom are great drones and rarely have software or remote connection issues. I have a mavic zoom and its capability is amazing. Learn the basics and then start using the intelligent modes like active track and orbit. Have fun flying and fly safe.

I did get it stuck in a tree for a second tonight and couldn’t shake it loose. I thought it was heading away from the tree, but it was 180 degrees off from my mind and ended up driving it into instead of away from the tree. Tried to find a way to kill the motors as they were still running. Couldn’t figure it out in time and it ended up hitting a branch and stalling. I caught it mid air and avoided a hard landing. Nothing broken. Don’t know if this counts against the poll ??‍♂️

Back