Max 6/hex 6 fan upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad08

Reaction score
Arrma RC's

So after destroying many stock fans from hard landings, I finally came up with a solution to a common problem. I used a 40mm yeah racing fan, longer screws and some aluminum spacers. I only have 2 screws hold it in on the left side but it's very solidly mounted. I hope this can help someone out there.

I'll have to give this a try if my next attempt doesn't work.
Is there a larger support on that fan connecting the motor/fan assembly to the outer housing?

My next one I am actually trimming the tops of the heat sinks level so the center section of the fan is supported by the heat sink. I have a gut feeling that will be the ticket.

I've also been working on a permanent fix for breaking fan blades off in the Max6.
I think I'm on my 3or 4th version of the same basic premise but I'm determined to still utilize the outer plastic cover.

How many of you guys are snapping blades off vs the motor just stops turning?

Ive killed 6 in testing all by broken blades.

The latest revision to the fix is still going strong long after previous failures, but it's too early to draw a conclusion

I've broken an alloy fan. Most of mine I punch the center motor and fan assembly out of the housing.
I think I've only broken one by loss of a blade.

Its so bad I buy 5 fans at a time. I want this to stop.

I just posted in my Kraton build thread, but I trimmed the heat sink on my HEX6 down so the fan will sit flat and fully supported across the heat sink. Its a much better design IMO vs supporting it on the 4 corners allowing the motor and fan to flex, and eventually break the supports on landings.

I'll give an update after I get a couple big bash sessions in.

Is there a larger support on that fan connecting the motor/fan assembly to the outer housing?

My next one I am actually trimming the tops of the heat sinks level so the center section of the fan is supported by the heat sink. I have a gut feeling that will be the ticket.
Theres nothing on the right side except for the fan pushing down on the tops of the capacitors. I
I've broken an alloy fan. Most of mine I punch the center motor and fan assembly out of the housing.
I think I've only broken one by loss of a blade.

Its so bad I buy 5 fans at a time. I want this to stop.

I just posted in my Kraton build thread, but I trimmed the heat sink on my HEX6 down so the fan will sit flat and fully supported across the heat sink. Its a much better design IMO vs supporting it on the 4 corners allowing the motor and fan to flex, and eventually break the supports on landings.

View attachment 38969
View attachment 38970

I'll give an update after I get a couple big bash sessions in.
The fan breaking the plastic housing is my problem also. I used gorilla tape on the bottom of the fan, then used an exacto knife to cut out the openings for the air to pass through. Its janky, but I think it'll help. You can kind of see it in the picture if you look closely at the bottom of the fan.
I've also been working on a permanent fix for breaking fan blades off in the Max6.
I think I'm on my 3or 4th version of the same basic premise but I'm determined to still utilize the outer plastic cover.

How many of you guys are snapping blades off vs the motor just stops turning?

Ive killed 6 in testing all by broken blades.

The latest revision to the fix is still going strong long after previous failures, but it's too early to draw a conclusion
My problems are usually fan blades and the plastic fan housing.

Sorry I understand what you mean now. No they're pretty thin still.

Any idea how long that fan lasted?

I've got the yellow Kraton back together, doesn't sound like its at 100%, but I'm going to launch it pretty hard tomorrow at a jump park. We'll see if the change to the heat sink makes any difference.

Any idea how long that fan lasted?

I've got the yellow Kraton back together, doesn't sound like its at 100%, but I'm going to launch it pretty hard tomorrow at a jump park. We'll see if the change to the heat sink makes any difference.

Maybe 4 packs? Not terribly long.

Update. I took a piece of plexiglass and cut out the pattern of the fan as a back support. I think this is going to work out, I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited:
Well, I am 5 packs in and its still holding. One pack was me having a terrible day of driving with many bad nose landings. for the majority of the packs I have been jumping approximately 10-15ft in the air and landing on a mixture of concrete/asphalt, shell rock, and compacted dirt.

I think this fan has lasted longer than what I would normally get out of any replacement fans. Here is a pic of the current survivor setup. So far no chipped or cracked fan blades. I did not notice any cracks forming along on the fan housing. I do not believe this fan surviving has anything to do with who made it or what model it is (I have broken all aluminum fans before), I think it all has to do with supporting the center section of the fan so I cannot flex/break on hard landings.

I am ordering another Hex6/Hobbystar motor combo for my V3 Kraton, so I'll try another method that doesn't require cutting down the heat sink.

Well, I am 5 packs in and its still holding. One pack was me having a terrible day of driving with many bad nose landings. for the majority of the packs I have been jumping approximately 10-15ft in the air and landing on a mixture of concrete/asphalt, shell rock, and compacted dirt.

I think this fan has lasted longer than what I would normally get out of any replacement fans. Here is a pic of the current survivor setup. So far no chipped or cracked fan blades. I did not notice any cracks forming along on the fan housing. I do not believe this fan surviving has anything to do with who made it or what model it is (I have broken all aluminum fans before), I think it all has to do with supporting the center section of the fan so I cannot flex/break on hard landings. View attachment 39388

I am ordering another Hex6/Hobbystar motor combo for my V3 Kraton, so I'll try another method that doesn't require cutting down the heat sink.
Awesome man I'm glad that's working out. I still need to give mine a proper test.

I think supporting the center of the fan is what does the trick. My first Hex 6 has taken some nasty landings and a bunch of packs. The fan is still spinning without any issues.

I wanted to come up with another solution for others that don't have access to a bandsaw/hacksaw or just don't want to cut down the heat sink. It also had to be cost effective.

Brand new Hex 6 just taken out of the box, and I take it apart. Thats what normal people do, right?

So now the solution to find something the correct height to support the center of the fan, and it comes with your ARRMA (if you bought it brand new).

Yep. A shock piston. Its the perfect height. I epoxied it to the bottom of the stock fan.

I think hot glue can work also, the temperature ranges seem to be ok (221 for ESC thermal, and low point hot glue is at 248). If you glue the piston to the bottom of the fan I think it should be ok, it wont be in direct contact with the heat sink and it will still have air flowing over it.

And reassemble.

I'll be testing this out pretty hard this weekend for durability. But here is a possible solution to stop breaking fans on Max6/Hex6 ESCs and on this one you can keep the stock fan and shroud.

I think supporting the center of the fan is what does the trick. My first Hex 6 has taken some nasty landings and a bunch of packs. The fan is still spinning without any issues.

I wanted to come up with another solution for others that don't have access to a bandsaw/hacksaw or just don't want to cut down the heat sink. It also had to be cost effective.

Brand new Hex 6 just taken out of the box, and I take it apart. Thats what normal people do, right?
View attachment 40136
View attachment 40137

So now the solution to find something the correct height to support the center of the fan, and it comes with your ARRMA (if you bought it brand new).
View attachment 40139
Yep. A shock piston. Its the perfect height. I epoxied it to the bottom of the stock fan.

I think hot glue can work also, the temperature ranges seem to be ok (221 for ESC thermal, and low point hot glue is at 248). If you glue the piston to the bottom of the fan I think it should be ok, it wont be in direct contact with the heat sink and it will still have air flowing over it.

View attachment 40141
And reassemble.

View attachment 40142View attachment 40143

I'll be testing this out pretty hard this weekend for durability. But here is a possible solution to stop breaking fans on Max6/Hex6 ESCs and on this one you can keep the stock fan and shroud.
How well balanced is it?

Its not epoxied to the fan blade itself.

Its epoxied to the bottom of the fan motor housing. Its sitting on top of the heat sink supporting the bottom of the fan motor.
This a fantastic idea, going to try this out tomorrow after work with my Max 6.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back