Kraton Max 6 on 6S drains 1 lipo more than other

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Kraton 4s
  6. Mojave EXB
  7. Outcast 6s
  8. Outcast 4s
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 3s
  11. Vorteks
Just installed the Max 6 combo on my Kraton and noticed the run times were quite short. After a few runs I noticed one of my batteries (same connector) ALWAYS drains more than the other battery. From full charge, the drained battery ends up at like 3.15 all around while the other is sitting at 3.7 on all 3 cells. Sometimes one of the cells on the drained battery is as low as 2.7. Any idea why this could be?? I did have to solder the dual connectors myself as I run two 3S's not one 6S. Could it have been something I did wrong in my wiring? Here's a pic below. The connector with two reds going into it is the one that drains that battery much faster than the other. The ESC is giving me 6 beeps when it starts up and everything runs fine...it just always drains one battery quicker than the other.

MAx6.jpg

Just installed the Max 6 combo on my Kraton and noticed the run times were quite short. After a few runs I noticed one of my batteries (same connector) ALWAYS drains more than the other battery. From full charge, the drained battery ends up at like 3.15 all around while the other is sitting at 3.7 on all 3 cells. Sometimes one of the cells on the drained battery is as low as 2.7. Any idea why this could be?? I did have to solder the dual connectors myself as I run two 3S's not one 6S. Could it have been something I did wrong in my wiring? Here's a pic below. The connector with two reds going into it is the one that drains that battery much faster than the other. The ESC is giving me 6 beeps when it starts up and everything runs fine...it just always drains one battery quicker than the other.

View attachment 114930
If I were you I would try running ose 8mm connectors. They are like $10 for a male and a female. It may be a soldering problem, maybe one battery has more conection for a current?

There is nothing wrong with your connections. Its part of it being a parallel connection, the battery connected to the positive side of the esc drains faster. The only thing you can do is mark your batteries, so you switch them back and forth between charges.

There is nothing wrong with your connections. Its part of it being a parallel connection, the battery connected to the positive side of the esc drains faster. The only thing you can do is mark your batteries, so you switch them back and forth between charges.
So this is a common problem? It didn't happen at all with my BLX185, and does not happen with my Infraction using the stock Spektrum setup and I use two 3S lipo's with those setups as well...

This.
So this is a common problem? It didn't happen at all with my BLX185, and does not happen with my Infraction using the stock Spektrum setup and I usee two 3S lipo's with those setups as well...
Yes. Really? That is odd, I have never run a dual battery setup that hasn't done that. My Merv, Summit, Outcast and Vorza have all done it. Some vehicles it is less dramatic on, like on the Summit it was one battery at 3.5per cell and the other battery was 3.45v per cell.

So this is a common problem? It didn't happen at all with my BLX185, and does not happen with my Infraction using the stock Spektrum setup and I use two 3S lipo's with those setups as well...
It should have happened, Google the physics of it. Maybe the max6 is putting more drain on your batteries.
It should have happened, Google the physics of it. Maybe the max6 is putting more drain on your batteries.
Maybe you just never noticed such a large voltage drop before.

Hm, I guess I never paid too much attention before. I just started to notice it recently when I saw one of the cells dropping below 3 volts. Is it better to run one 6S vs two 3Ss? I don't want to risk damaging one of my batteries if the ESC drains it too much to the point where I won't even be able to charge it...

Hm, I guess I never paid too much attention before. I just started to notice it recently when I saw one of the cells dropping below 3 volts. Is it better to run one 6S vs two 3Ss? I don't want to risk damaging one of my batteries if the ESC drains it too much to the point where I won't even be able to charge it...
The 1 6s or 2 3s debate can literally go on for pages, we have a couple of threads around here someplace and each of them is over a dozen pages.

You said just one of the cells was that low? What were the all of the other cells at?

The 1 6s or 2 3s debate can literally go on for pages, we have a couple of threads around here someplace and each of them is over a dozen pages.

You said just one of the cells was that low? What were the all of the other cells at?
The worst I've seen is 2.74, 3.15, 3.15, while the other battery is at like 3.76 all around. Also curious why that one particular cell is always lowest. It is cell #1 though...maybe that's the first cell the positive terminal of the ESC is drawing from for power?

Very simple, one of you Lipos is weaker. Running them into the grave i.e. below 3.5V degrades them quickly. You have one that has easily lost 20-30% of it's capacity. That is the one that is failing. Running them below 3V is killing it even quicker and I'd dispose of it in a safe manner.

It has noting to do with your wiring or your ESC. Didn't happen with BLX because at that time the Lipo was in better shape.

The worst I've seen is 2.74, 3.15, 3.15, while the other battery is at like 3.76 all around. Also curious why that one particular cell is always lowest. It is cell #1 though...maybe that's the first cell the positive terminal of the ESC is drawing from for power?
Do you have a way to check the internal resistance of that battery? It almost sounds like that one cell might be bad. 0.41v is quite a bit for a cell to be off by. Was it still that far off at rest?

Do you have a way to check the internal resistance of that battery? It almost sounds like that one cell might be bad. 0.41v is quite a bit for a cell to be off by. Was it still that far off at rest?
No...what tool do I need to check the internal resistance?

The better chargers typically have that function.
In your case, you don't need one. I can tell you that one cell is at least double that of the others. They should be within 20% of each other max.

If you are getting a new charger, buy one with that functionality.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back