Kraton Max 8 bricked after 5 min run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Bought a max 8 2200kv combo, because the old BLX 185 did not put out enough power. After I made the swap the truck had double the power of the 185 and I was really impressed, but after 12-15 min the truck stopped moving the motor was about 150 degrees F and the esc cooling fins were 110 degrees F. The truck would not do anything no matter what did. I changed receivers ,batteries re-programed nothing made a difference. I figured out that the esc was stuck in thermal protection mode blinking green ( also if you held the gas when you powered the truck on the wheels would spin for a second then go into limp mode), which it could not have been, so I called customer support which I can say kinda sucked and really did not have anything to tell me other than to send it in. After this I was pretty mad about what happend so I sent the whole system back to the seller and they refunded my money, now im waiting for my Castle mamba monster x 2200kv combo to come in stock hopefully next week. Overall I thought the system looked very nice and would recommend but the customer service over the phone seemed very week and if i was more of noob could have caused the someone to send thing unnecessarily. This was kind of a rant but thought i would share my experience, and maybe change some peoples minds.

I have this combo in my redcat trmt8e be6s and I experience the same thermaling. I am overgeared though. going to swap out the combo eventually also.

I have this combo in my redcat trmt8e be6s and I experience the same thermaling. I am overgeared though. going to swap out the combo eventually also.
ok good to here im not the only one, I did not find any other forums stating this issue.

Bought a max 8 2200kv combo, because the old BLX 185 did not put out enough power. After I made the swap the truck had double the power of the 185 and I was really impressed, but after 12-15 min the truck stopped moving the motor was about 150 degrees F and the esc cooling fins were 110 degrees F. The truck would not do anything no matter what did. I changed receivers ,batteries re-programed nothing made a difference. I figured out that the esc was stuck in thermal protection mode blinking green ( also if you held the gas when you powered the truck on the wheels would spin for a second then go into limp mode), which it could not have been, so I called customer support which I can say kinda sucked and really did not have anything to tell me other than to send it in. After this I was pretty mad about what happend so I sent the whole system back to the seller and they refunded my money, now im waiting for my Castle mamba monster x 2200kv combo to come in stock hopefully next week. Overall I thought the system looked very nice and would recommend but the customer service over the phone seemed very week and if i was more of noob could have caused the someone to send thing unnecessarily. This was kind of a rant but thought i would share my experience, and maybe change some peoples minds.

IMHO, 2200 KV in one of these heavy Kratons is asking for issues. I've been running a Max8 V3 with a 1600 kv 4082 with good results.

Only problem is it will still turn over backwards at high speed at over 3/4 throttle :)

IMHO, 2200 KV in one of these heavy Kratons is asking for issues. I've been running a Max8 V3 with a 1600 kv 4082 with good results.

Only problem is it will still turn over backwards at high speed at over 3/4 throttle :)
The problem is that the esc failed and does not work anymore, not that it goes into thermal shutdown during a run.

The problem is that the esc failed and does not work anymore, not that it goes into thermal shutdown during a run.

I understood that. I was saying that I run the Max8 with no problems and also that I believe 2200 kv is going to create more heat issues than we have (nearly) all had with the 2050. I do believe you happened to get a faulty ESC. But it does (unfortunately) happen with any brand.

IMHO, 2200 KV in one of these heavy Kratons is asking for issues.
That would be an issue running 6S? Couldn't you just gear it down to compensate a bit?

Been running 2200kv in my savage flux since I got it. Put the mmx/2200kv in it for 4 months. Swapped out the original because it wasn't waterproof. I only run 4S in it though. Makes me want to weigh my buddies talion to see how different it is.

That would be an issue running 6S? Couldn't you just gear it down to compensate a bit?

Been running 2200kv in my savage flux since I got it. Put the mmx/2200kv in it for 4 months. Swapped out the original because it wasn't waterproof. I only run 4S in it though. Makes me want to weigh my buddies talion to see how different it is.

Yes sir, 6s. Probably should of included that. Sorry, kind of forgotten there is anything else. I had issues with the 2050, 12 tooth pinion and back flips whenever there was any grass involved. To my knowledge the smallest 5mm mod 1 is 11 tooth. I had wear issues with the small pinion also. Running a 16 now with the 1600 kv and thinking of going up to 17. The wear has been great with the bigger pinion. I probably should re-learn that there is 4s. I'm sure I would break less parts. Just not sure I can get used to less power. We are mostly all our own enemies. Allways gotta have more. Even if we can't really use it.

Yes sir, 6s. Probably should of included that. Sorry, kind of forgotten there is anything else. I had issues with the 2050, 12 tooth pinion and back flips whenever there was any grass involved. To my knowledge the smallest 5mm mod 1 is 11 tooth. I had wear issues with the small pinion also. Running a 16 now with the 1600 kv and thinking of going up to 17. The wear has been great with the bigger pinion. I probably should re-learn that there is 4s. I'm sure I would break less parts. Just not sure I can get used to less power. We are mostly all our own enemies. Allways gotta have more. Even if we can't really use it.
I run 4s and 6s on my stock outcast and I must say I don't recall ever breaking anything on 4s. But the moment I swap to 6s lots of poop breaks. I almost upgraded everything except for the shocks waiting for v3 version to be available. That being said I can’t get enough of 6s it is just insane.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back