Talion Max 8 or max 6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigtim29

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
So both esc’s run have an adjustable bec, 7.4v being the highest output. I have a max 8 in my slash and put the bec on 7.4v and that fan was moving!
I see most guys run a max 6 in their arrma 6s trucks but wouldn’t a max 8 on 7.4v bec and a yeah racing tornado fan run pretty cool? I don’t plan on running any motors that big, highest I’ll go is a 4082 motor . Would the max8 be best suited for me?

Here’s my 2 issues with the max8
1. Doesn’t run well in 8th scale monster trucks (isn’t really good at handling a lot of amps)
2. For its price it’s a waste of money because you can buy something that’s way better in performance if you just pay like $15 more.

I was going to recommend the Hexfly Hex6 esc which is a rebranded Max6 and only difference is it doesn't have motor thermal shutoff protection. Unfortunately I can't find it in stock anywhere right now which is too bad because it was only like 115 bucks when I bought one a couple months ago.

I was going to recommend the Hexfly Hex6 esc which is a rebranded Max6 and only difference is it doesn't have motor thermal shutoff protection. Unfortunately I can't find it in stock anywhere right now which is too bad because it was only like 115 bucks when I bought one a couple months ago.
The max6 has that? I have the max6, but didn't see any extra plug or anything for it.

The max6 has that? I have the max6, but didn't see any extra plug or anything for it.
Either something changed or I am confusing my ESCs, but looks like you're right that the Max6 doesn't have motor thermal protection. I downloaded the max5/6 esc manual then compared it to my Hex6 manual and looks like both have the exact same options and default settings.

20200808_011956.jpg

I now remember what the difference was and why my Hex6 was a lot cheaper than the Max6... it's because the Hex6 comes in two flavors, one capable up to 8s (same as Max6) and one locked only up to 6s (the version I have). So both the Max8 and the Hex6 (6s version) can only go up to 6s, but the Hex6 is slightly cheaper than the Max8 and it gets Max6 electronics (160A vs 150A only in Max8), making it the better buy over the Max8.

Before I bought the Hex6 I tried to find a Max8 or Max6 but couldn't find any in stock anywhere in the USA because of covid. So then I found out about the Hex6's and tried to find the 8s version but couldn't, so I settled on the 6s Hex6 instead.

Anyways sorry for the confusion, Scooby Doo mystery solved.

Here’s my 2 issues with the max8
1. Doesn’t run well in 8th scale monster trucks (isn’t really good at handling a lot of amps)
2. For its price it’s a waste of money because you can buy something that’s way better in performance if you just pay like $15 more.
Compared to the blx185, the max 8 has the same 150a. I plan on keeping the stock blx 2050kv motor in, since it is running just fine, main reason I want the max 8 over the blx185 is the bec adjustability, I’d be able to run my motor and esc even cooler. Is 150a compared to 160a that much of a difference?

Compared to the blx185, the max 8 has the same 150a. I plan on keeping the stock blx 2050kv motor in, since it is running just fine, main reason I want the max 8 over the blx185 is the bec adjustability, I’d be able to run my motor and esc even cooler. Is 150a compared to 160a that much of a difference?
To be honest, I'm not sure. It might be a bigger deal if you go with a larger motor. I went with the max6 to be able to go up 1 tooth on the pinion for a bit more top end, but it still ran hot. It didn't thermal like the blx185 did on me, but the motor ran hotter than I'd like and the esc ran pretty hot as well, so I went back to a 13T. Then later I changed the trencher 3.8's out for the stock backflips, which are a bit smaller OD and a lot lighter. I think I put a 14T in it after I ran with the stock tires as I had to pull the center diff to replace the bearings anyway. I haven't run it since though.

I run at a grass bmx track a lot, which drives the temps up. There are a couple big jumps where 13T is enough at the start of the pack, but towards the end, I have to hit the jump juuuuust right or it's a bad case/lawn dart landing. The 14T gives me the extra few feet of comfort I needed.

Really though, with the stock backflips (wrapped with kevlar), it seemed I was able to clear everything pretty easily, so perhaps the heavier/larger tires were also slowing me down a decent amount. This is the first time I ran the stock tires as I put the trenchers on when I got it because I liked the wear and cushion they add for skate park bashing on my other trucks.

To be honest, I'm not sure. It might be a bigger deal if you go with a larger motor. I went with the max6 to be able to go up 1 tooth on the pinion for a bit more top end, but it still ran hot. It didn't thermal like the blx185 did on me, but the motor ran hotter than I'd like and the esc ran pretty hot as well, so I went back to a 13T. Then later I changed the trencher 3.8's out for the stock backflips, which are a bit smaller OD and a lot lighter. I think I put a 14T in it after I ran with the stock tires as I had to pull the center diff to replace the bearings anyway. I haven't run it since though.

I run at a grass bmx track a lot, which drives the temps up. There are a couple big jumps where 13T is enough at the start of the pack, but towards the end, I have to hit the jump juuuuust right or it's a bad case/lawn dart landing. The 14T gives me the extra few feet of comfort I needed.

Really though, with the stock backflips (wrapped with kevlar), it seemed I was able to clear everything pretty easily, so perhaps the heavier/larger tires were also slowing me down a decent amount. This is the first time I ran the stock tires as I put the trenchers on when I got it because I liked the wear and cushion they add for skate park bashing on my other trucks.
I am considering the max 8 then because if I run the bec at 7.4v, and put a yeah racing tornado fan in the esc ( since the fan size for max 8 is 30x30mm), I feel like it would run cooler than a max 6 and I don’t need all the power the max 6 esc has. Now if their were 35x35mm tornado fans for the max 6 i would definitley get the max 6 instead. I just got a 17t for the talion and still running backflip lp’s. Hopefully nothing overheats.

I am considering the max 8 then because if I run the bec at 7.4v, and put a yeah racing tornado fan in the esc ( since the fan size for max 8 is 30x30mm), I feel like it would run cooler than a max 6 and I don’t need all the power the max 6 esc has. Now if their were 35x35mm tornado fans for the max 6 i would definitley get the max 6 instead. I just got a 17t for the talion and still running backflip lp’s. Hopefully nothing overheats.
I run a 30mm hobbystar alloy framed fan in my max6 in my outcast. Pushes more air than the 35mm that came in it that broke on me. Took a bit of finagling, but I got it to work.

2020-0525-Outcast-max6-Hobbystar30mmFan02.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back