Kraton Max5 LVC is draining lipos to 3.0v...problem??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djrahbee

Send-Flip-Break-Fix-Repeat 🤙🏼
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Outcast 8s
  8. Outcast EXB
  9. Infraction 4x4
I have done some research on the esc and sounds like there is no sweet spot around 3.2v. The last couple runs the lipos were 3.0v-3.1v when the intermediate LVC setting kicked in. My question is, will this hurt the lipos? I have looked into an LVC meter/alarm and don't want to if I don't need to use it. Also don't want to use the alternate settings which seem too extreme.

I have done some research on the esc and sounds like there is no sweet spot around 3.2v. The last couple runs the lipos were 3.0v-3.1v when the intermediate LVC setting kicked in. My question is, will this hurt the lipos? I have looked into an LVC meter/alarm and don't want to if I don't need to use it. Also don't want to use the alternate settings which seem too extreme.

Well, the short answer is that you are taking a risk. Most vets here, and I am not one warn you not to play at this level. So for the longevity of the battery is not good.

Now my answer. I run my lipos like you. I set LVC to low for HW, and for the Firma ESC I set to 3.4v. I understand the risk and am cool with it.

After a bash, I am in the 3.1-3.2v range and it recovers a bit more after it sits...once home 3.4'sih range. Once home, I storage charge them right away within 2-4hrs. Over the 2yrs of bashing for me with over 15+ batteries, I have seen 2 fall below 3.0v in 2yrs of doing that. So I am cool with the risk. Do I still use them...yes because they will storage charge to 3.85v and fully charge to 4.2v. Does the bad cell shorten play time, yes! I will replace those two once the failure is consistent.

Get more feedback only speaking for me.... (y)

Well, the short answer is that you are taking a risk. Most vets here, and I am not one warn you not to play at this level. So for the longevity of the battery is not good.

Now my answer. I run my lipos like you. I set LVC to low for HW, and for the Firma ESC I set to 3.4v. I understand the risk and am cool with it.

After a bash, I am in the 3.1-3.2v range and it recovers a bit more after it sits...once home 3.4'sih range. Once home, I storage charge them right away within 2-4hrs. Over the 2yrs of bashing for me with over 15+ batteries, I have seen 2 fall below 3.0v in 2yrs of doing that. So I am cool with the risk. Do I still use them...yes because they will storage charge to 3.85v and fully charge to 4.2v. Does the bad cell shorten play time, yes! I will replace those two once the failure is consistent.

Get more feedback only speaking for me.... (y)
Awesome thanks for the feedback!

I wouldn't let my lipo get that low. If It was me I'd pick high setting if med was leaving me at 3.0 thats kinda crazy.

Yes, you are damaging them. It's not reversible, the IR (internal resistance) will increase, which directly translates into available capacity.
Set the LVC to ~ 3.4 or higher. Keep in mind that it might take ~ 30s for it to activate and you drain ~ 5-10% if you are having fun i.e. you are in the damage zone before it can activate.
I try to not let mine go below 3.5V (under load) or at end of bashing they recover to 3.7V.
I don't trust LVC at all tbh and only look at telemetry.

Yes, you are damaging them. It's not reversible, the IR (internal resistance) will increase, which directly translates into available capacity.
Set the LVC to ~ 3.4 or higher. Keep in mind that it might take ~ 30s for it to activate and you drain ~ 5-10% if you are having fun i.e. you are in the damage zone before it can activate.
I try to not let mine go below 3.5V (under load) or at end of bashing they recover to 3.7V.
Cool! Found this thread searching earlier. I guess i'll change the setting on the esc and/or get one of those lvc meter/alarms. The esc doesn't have real time telemetry unfortunately.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/hobbywing-lvc-question.25423/

The Max series escs don't have a specific voltage that you can set the LVC to. There is low, intermediate and high.

. Low Voltage Cutoff Sets the voltage at which the ESC lowers or removes power to the motor in order to keep the LiPo battery at a safe minimum voltage. The ESC will monitor the battery voltage all the time, it will immediately reduce the power to 50% and cut off the output 10 seconds later when the voltage goes below the cutoff threshold. The RED LED will flash a short, single flash that repeats (☆, ☆, ☆) to indicate the low-voltage cutoff protection is activated. If you use a NiMH pack, then please set the “Cutoff Voltage” to “Disabled”.

Option 1: Disabled The ESC won’t cut off the power due to low voltage after you select this option. We do not recommend using this option when you use any LiPo pack (5S &7S LiPo batteries are exceptions), otherwise you will irreversibly damage it. However, for avoiding losing power in racing due to low voltage, we recommend using this option (this still may cause damage to your battery). You need to select this option when you use a NiMH pack.

Option 2: Auto (Low) Low cutoff voltage, not very easy to get the LVC Protection activated, is applicable to batteries with poor discharge capability.

Option 3: Auto (Intermediate) Medium cutoff voltage, prone to getting the LVC Protection activated, is applicable to batteries with ordinary discharge capability.

Option 4: Auto (High) High cutoff voltage, very prone to getting the LVC Protection activated, is applicable to packs with great discharge capability.

What setting you need to put it on depends highly on your batteries. Low quality crappy batteries like from Amazon you most likely want low.

The Max series escs don't have a specific voltage that you can set the LVC to. There is low, intermediate and high.

. Low Voltage Cutoff Sets the voltage at which the ESC lowers or removes power to the motor in order to keep the LiPo battery at a safe minimum voltage. The ESC will monitor the battery voltage all the time, it will immediately reduce the power to 50% and cut off the output 10 seconds later when the voltage goes below the cutoff threshold. The RED LED will flash a short, single flash that repeats (☆, ☆, ☆) to indicate the low-voltage cutoff protection is activated. If you use a NiMH pack, then please set the “Cutoff Voltage” to “Disabled”.

Option 1: Disabled The ESC won’t cut off the power due to low voltage after you select this option. We do not recommend using this option when you use any LiPo pack (5S &7S LiPo batteries are exceptions), otherwise you will irreversibly damage it. However, for avoiding losing power in racing due to low voltage, we recommend using this option (this still may cause damage to your battery). You need to select this option when you use a NiMH pack.

Option 2: Auto (Low) Low cutoff voltage, not very easy to get the LVC Protection activated, is applicable to batteries with poor discharge capability.

Option 3: Auto (Intermediate) Medium cutoff voltage, prone to getting the LVC Protection activated, is applicable to batteries with ordinary discharge capability.

Option 4: Auto (High) High cutoff voltage, very prone to getting the LVC Protection activated, is applicable to packs with great discharge capability.

What setting you need to put it on depends highly on your batteries. Low quality crappy batteries like from Amazon you most likely want low.
yeh I have the manuel, did some research before starting a thread. But I liking people with more experience than me. 👍🏼

yeh I have the manuel, did some research before starting a thread. But I liking people with more experience than me. 👍🏼

With the Max series of escs the best way to find what setting is the best is to use it and see where your lipos are. But judging from your post above I would go with the low setting.

Cool! Found this thread searching earlier. I guess i'll change the setting on the esc and/or get one of those lvc meter/alarms. The esc doesn't have real time telemetry unfortunately.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/hobbywing-lvc-question.25423/
Yeah get yourself an inexpensive lipo testor. Carry it in your pocket when out in the field.
I have 2 and found this one to be most consistent and inline with my Charger readings.

The one I like below was way cheaper a few years back. Shop it and you may find it for less $. There are also clones by other brands that are identcial to this.

https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Battery-Intelligent-Digital-Balancer/dp/B0178P8H9U

I also have cheapo lipo alarms and found them to be inconsistent and not accurate from one to the next.
I had gotten a bulk pack of Lipo Alarms for very cheap. They serve a purpose when set and mounted on the chassis. Just not that accurate IMHO.

But a Tenergy Lipo testor as above is a multi-function testor. Checks IR's. Balances etc. Checks balance variance from cell to cell. Tests servos etc.

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that LVC can trip at any point and that includes the voltage sag batteries experience under load. But I typically set somewhere around 3.4v if possible for battery longevity.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back