Kraton Max6 ESC Cooling Upgrade Complete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig72

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Nero
  3. Talion
  4. Typhon 6s
Nothing too major, just wanted to share some pics. Finally got around to putting the larger 40x40x28 fan on my Max6 ESC. With the warmer weather coming up, I was itching to get this done. I've got the same setup ready to go for my Talion which runs the same Max6/4985 combo. The Kraton here runs a separate battery for the fans and steering servo. Sooo much more air than the stock fan! Had to shave a very small amount of the ESC heat sink on one side where it raises up to support the stock fan in order to get the new mount to sit flush. The dremel took care of it quickly.

PXL_20220511_214829232.jpg
PXL_20220511_222953745.jpg
PXL_20220514_195810301.jpg

PXL_20220514_195835579.jpg

Looks great! Nice and clean install 👍👌🍻
I'd suggest figuring out a way to better protect the fan connection. A side impact might damage them?

Last edited:
I’ve got the same setup i need to install on my hw max6 also. It’s for my 1/8 Kexb. I just need to find all the parts 😂 been through a few clean ups,,, fall, winter, now spring lol I move everything around and misplace things, find other things, etc….

Looks great! Are these fans better than the surpass rocket fans available?

I can't help but notice that the steer link is attached at the outermost hole on the servo horn, giving up a bit of torque from the servo that way..if it's adequate, great. Using the inner most hole will produce more torque (but less speed). Sorry if I'm overstepping..

Looks great! Are these fans better than the surpass rocket fans available?
Yeah, I have a Rocket fan on the Taion (which is getting replaced by this).. its not even close.
I can't help but notice that the steer link is attached at the outermost hole on the servo horn, giving up a bit of torque from the servo that way..if it's adequate, great. Using the inner most hole will produce more torque (but less speed). Sorry if I'm overstepping..
No worries. That servo has so much power (ProModeler) that it doesn't matter. It could push a small child across the floor. I put it on the out-hole just to keep the geometry of the steering setup in line. If I moved it in, the horn-to-arm alignment was at a weird angle and did not operate as smooth.

Yeah, I have a Rocket fan on the Taion (which is getting replaced by this).. its not even close.

No worries. That servo has so much power (ProModeler) that it doesn't matter. It could push a small child across the floor. I put it on the out-hole just to keep the geometry of the steering setup in line. If I moved it in, the horn-to-arm alignment was at a weird angle and did not operate as smooth.
Gotcha, makes sense👍 sweet rig!!🤘

Hey man, I've just picked up that motor and ESC combo for my TLR.

How do you find it and what pinion are you running ??

Hey man, I've just picked up that motor and ESC combo for my TLR.

How do you find it and what pinion are you running ??
I love the combo. Some will argue that its a bit on the heavy side, but I have no issues with handling. The thing is an absolute animal. You'll quickly learn the concept of throttle control ;). I run 22/46 gearing on the Talion and 22/50 on the EXB Kraton.

looks cool, im following a similair set up and have been getting good advise on here.
Are you running your motor fans as wella s the esc fan on a speerate lipo, if so what lipo and what connections? i.e. how do you get all poered off another battery?
what fan is it also? i have the cntro ones, but i think they are similair to the rocket.

whast the counter "clock" thing you have>?

many thanks

looks cool, im following a similair set up and have been getting good advise on here.
Are you running your motor fans as wella s the esc fan on a speerate lipo, if so what lipo and what connections? i.e. how do you get all poered off another battery?
what fan is it also? i have the cntro ones, but i think they are similair to the rocket.

whast the counter "clock" thing you have>?

many thanks
I am running all three fans and the servo off of a separate 2s battery (that is the XT-30 connector you see in the pic). That connector goes to the receiver which distributes power to the accessories. I have removed the power wire from the throttle lead to the ESC since its no longer needed. The fan is a Sanyo (look at the first picture.. you can see the part number).

The 'clock' thing is actually a lipo alarm. You set it to your desired cut-off level and it will start beeping when voltage drops to that point. Protects against over draining the batteries which is a big no-no.

I love the combo. Some will argue that its a bit on the heavy side, but I have no issues with handling. The thing is an absolute animal. You'll quickly learn the concept of throttle control ;). I run 22/46 gearing on the Talion and 22/50 on the EXB Kraton.

Cool man, cheers.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to learning the characteristics of the combo, bit of heft never hurt anyone ;).

I've got the 19T pinion and 50T spur to start with and go from there.

I am running all three fans and the servo off of a separate 2s battery (that is the XT-30 connector you see in the pic). That connector goes to the receiver which distributes power to the accessories. I have removed the power wire from the throttle lead to the ESC since its no longer needed. The fan is a Sanyo (look at the first picture.. you can see the part number).

The 'clock' thing is actually a lipo alarm. You set it to your desired cut-off level and it will start beeping when voltage drops to that point. Protects against over draining the batteries which is a big no-no.
Thanks Craig, I wasnt aware you could do that, I thought when people were using a separate battery they were plugging their fans direct into the battery via the balance lead.

so how do you connect the xt30 to your receiver? And what port does it go in? I have the spektrum SR515, haven’t had it wired up yet as I’m waiting on parts.

so basically rather than your ESC powering your receiver which in turn will power other things, you have the lipo powering the receiver, makes sense really.
Can I ask why you did this? Was it you get more power going through the receiver , although a 2s is only 7.4v and most ESC can be ran at 7.4v?

thanks for the help

Sorry daft question, if you don’t have a power cable from esc to the receiver how does the remote tell the motor to power/reverse?

also would you mind showing me your wiring to your receiver from your lipo, does your receiver handle the input ok?

thanks in advance

still learning,.,,,,

Last edited:
Sorry daft question, if you don’t have a power cable from esc to the receiver how does the remote tell the motor to power/reverse?

also would you mind showing me your wiring to your receiver from your lipo, does your receiver handle the input ok?

thanks in advance

still learning,.,,,,

The cable is still running to the ESC he just pulled the power wire out of the three in the plug so its signal only.

Thanks Craig, I wasnt aware you could do that, I thought when people were using a separate battery they were plugging their fans direct into the battery via the balance lead.

so how do you connect the xt30 to your receiver? And what port does it go in? I have the spektrum SR515, haven’t had it wired up yet as I’m waiting on parts.

so basically rather than your ESC powering your receiver which in turn will power other things, you have the lipo powering the receiver, makes sense really.
Can I ask why you did this? Was it you get more power going through the receiver , although a 2s is only 7.4v and most ESC can be ran at 7.4v?

thanks for the help

The XT-30 on the car terminates into two JST connectors which are plugged into unused channels on my receiver. I used two because the JSTs have a 5a limit, and my steering servo can pull more than that (stalled).

thanks in advance

still learning,.,,,,

The plug from the ESC still plugs into the receiver, I just removed the red wire (which gives power FROM the ESCs BEC TO the receiver). The white wire still transmits desired throttle to the ESC. Here is a picture... You'll see the two JSTs (from the battery) plugged into channels 5 and 6 (I think) and you can see the heat-shrink red wired pulled from channel 2 (throttle). Channel 4 is used as an extension cord to power the fans. It breaks into 3 JSTs over near the fans. Hope that helps..
PXL_20211231_165152081.jpg

I used to run my fans off an extra 1300 mah 3s battery but here lately i've been adding a pigtail with an xt60 off my main battery leads and running a castle bec 2.0 or the bec 2.0 waterproof one on my rigs to power my fans. I can zip tie it to the center brace and it's a little less weight and one less thing bouncing around if it escapes my battery straps. I do velcro on the 6s pack and the small 3s but felt like this would stay put better.

max6 setups.jpg

talion14.jpg

Thanks guys. If your powering the fans and servo from a separate battery how do you know when the lipo hits the safety cut off at 3.5v? Obviously the esc normally cuts this out but bypassing the esc removes this.

Thanks

Thanks guys. If your powering the fans and servo from a separate battery how do you know when the lipo hits the safety cut off at 3.5v? Obviously the esc normally cuts this out but bypassing the esc removes this.

Thanks
If you're referring to the cutoff of the secondary battery, I just check it between runs. Its not under nearly the same stress as the main battery (motor). I've made it through two runs and the secondary battery is still over 3.8v. I do bring an extra just in case it gets too close for comfort.

For what it's worth, I don't rely on the ESC for voltage cutoff which I think allows the battery to drain too low. That is why I use the external lipo alarm.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back