Kraton Max6 ESC Cooling Upgrade Complete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Craig, all very useful for me buddy.

So im porbably best getting a voltage meter, and forgive me again how do you wire them up. Sorry its 3.8v for cut off my mistake i wasnt sure off hand, i did plan just letting the esc kick in but this way seems more robost with the added option of better electrics.
What size is your 2s, and so maybe every (main) battery pack you just test the 2s to make sure theres enough juice to keep the fans and servo going.

i bought a roller to try and learn the ins and outs rather than a RTR to get into the hobby, theres so much you never think about at the time. But allt he same enjoy kearning and trying different things so appreciate the help.

I am running all three fans and the servo off of a separate 2s battery (that is the XT-30 connector you see in the pic). That connector goes to the receiver which distributes power to the accessories. I have removed the power wire from the throttle lead to the ESC since its no longer needed. The fan is a Sanyo (look at the first picture.. you can see the part number).

The 'clock' thing is actually a lipo alarm. You set it to your desired cut-off level and it will start beeping when voltage drops to that point. Protects against over draining the batteries which is a big no-no.
IMO, you are running the perfect setup. Lots of ways ”skin this cat” as John (ProModeler) says, but your way is the best. That 635 servo is indeed a beast, even on 7.4v, powerful and fast AF. Too much so for my Typhon, I actually pulled it. It’s perfect in my Outcast, though.

Thanks Craig, all very useful for me buddy.

So im porbably best getting a voltage meter, and forgive me again how do you wire them up. Sorry its 3.8v for cut off my mistake i wasnt sure off hand, i did plan just letting the esc kick in but this way seems more robost with the added option of better electrics.
What size is your 2s, and so maybe every (main) battery pack you just test the 2s to make sure theres enough juice to keep the fans and servo going.

i bought a roller to try and learn the ins and outs rather than a RTR to get into the hobby, theres so much you never think about at the time. But allt he same enjoy kearning and trying different things so appreciate the help.
I use a battery checker, which just uses the balance ports on the battery.

Screenshot 2022-05-17 095536.png

3.8v is pretty conservative, you could actually run them lower. I think I set my main batteries to 3.6 or 3.7 on the lipo alarm. My 2s auxilliary battery is an old 2000mAh 25c that we had from a car we no longer run.

....That 635 servo is indeed a beast, even on 7.4v, powerful and fast AF. Too much so for my Typhon, I actually pulled it. It’s perfect in my Outcast, though.

Yeah.. I can't imagine what that 635 would do in my Typhon, but it does fantastic on this heavier rig for sure.

Think I’m going to attempt this set up now. Does the receiver have to handle a certain v?

I have the spektrum SR515 that says it can up to 9.6v so makes sense to use a 2s (7.4v) rather than a 3s (11.1v) however does that mean a 12v fan like yours won’t get enough power ?

And what happens if I put in a 3s does it just fry the receiver ?

Think I’m going to attempt this set up now. Does the receiver have to handle a certain v?

I have the spektrum SR515 that says it can up to 9.6v so makes sense to use a 2s (7.4v) rather than a 3s (11.1v) however does that mean a 12v fan like yours won’t get enough power ?

You can power your fans from a separate 3s LiPo. That’s the best and safest way.
Yes, if you wire a 3s into your receiver it’s toast. Don’t do that. You’ll no longer be connecting fans to your receiver for power, you’ll be connecting them to a dedicated LiPo.
Any other power source connected to the receiver (an independent LiPo or BEC/UBEC) will require you to disconnect/snip the power wire going from your ESC to the receiver. Otherwise both your receiver and ESC can incur permanent damage.
You can Google/YouTube the proper wiring schematics for what you want to do. Take a look at some and decide which direction you want take and ask questions here if you need to.

Should not that most fans are rated at there max operating voltage not there min. Just like a PC fan it will have a min operation voltage as well. It just wont run at max RPM in less you have all 12V.

Good way to see this is were a PC fan will have 3 wire ground 5v for lower RPM and 12V for higher RPM ranges.

You can power your fans from a separate 3s LiPo. That’s the best and safest way.
Yes, if you wire a 3s into your receiver it’s toast. Don’t do that. You’ll no longer be connecting fans to your receiver for power, you’ll be connecting them to a dedicated LiPo.
Any other power source connected to the receiver (an independent LiPo or BEC/UBEC) will require you to disconnect/snip the power wire going from your ESC to the receiver. Otherwise both your receiver and ESC can incur permanent damage.
You can Google/YouTube the proper wiring schematics for what you want to do. Take a look at some and decide which direction you want take and ask questions here if you need to.
thanks Dan, i don't aprticulkar have any prefernce as im new to the game so learning, but i do want to get the best of what i have and keep my motor and esc cool, as i have a cheap maverick at the minute for my son and theres noithing worse than thermal shutdown when your having fun. his tends to overheat when running on grass, and not even a full pack in.

so options are - 3s lipo direct to fans if the fans are 12v capable (im not sure mine are)
run the fans via the receiver aux1 and aux2, my local hobby shop have suggested if i take this route to use a power capacistor like "SAV-PC-01" in one of the aux and the twin fans via a splitter cable.
they also tried to tell me though i shouldnt need cooling....

thanks guys

I just run the fans off a separate 2 or 3s battery (I have a few of each small packs) and not run them through the receiver at all, just plug and unplug them as necessary.
The receiver capacitors I don’t feel they give a really big advantage to using. I bought one and honestly never noticed anything with or without it on my kraton exb with a max6 4985, 1650kv and 35kg servo. They might be great for different types of applications, but I don’t know.

thanks Dan, i don't aprticulkar have any prefernce as im new to the game so learning, but i do want to get the best of what i have and keep my motor and esc cool, as i have a cheap maverick at the minute for my son and theres noithing worse than thermal shutdown when your having fun. his tends to overheat when running on grass, and not even a full pack in.

so options are - 3s lipo direct to fans if the fans are 12v capable (im not sure mine are)
run the fans via the receiver aux1 and aux2, my local hobby shop have suggested if i take this route to use a power capacistor like "SAV-PC-01" in one of the aux and the twin fans via a splitter cable.
they also tried to tell me though i shouldnt need cooling....

thanks guys
You’re not understanding part of this equation. If there is a separate LiPo to power anything, then whatever you’re running can not be plugged into the receiver, nor can the battery. It will damage your electronics. Your fans and your dedicated LiPo will be completely independent of the rest of your electronics.
For now, I’d say disregard this whole approach. The Max 6 has a good internal BEC. Program it to 7.4 volts and plug your fans directly into your receiver. FWIW, when I first moved to Arrma this is the setup I ran. Max 6 combo with two additional fans running on the motor. It never overloaded the BEC and it never glitches or browns out at all, ever. I’m still running it this way in my heavy Mojave and have never once had an issue. Keep it simple and go have fun. If your ESC glitches with this setup (and I’m confident it won’t anyway) you can always take a different route.

I just run the fans off a separate 2 or 3s battery (I have a few of each small packs) and not run them through the receiver at all, just plug and unplug them as necessary.
The receiver capacitors I don’t feel they give a really big advantage to using. I bought one and honestly never noticed anything with or without it on my kraton exb with a max6 4985, 1650kv and 35kg servo. They might be great for different types of applications, but I don’t know.
Thanks Alan

This is the same set up as me. What fans do you have running in the 3s?
How do you run multiple fans from the balance port , is it a splitter?

I’ve no idea about the battery capacitor to be honest , not had chance to look into it

Cheers
You’re not understanding part of this equation. If there is a separate LiPo to power anything, then whatever you’re running can not be plugged into the receiver, nor can the battery. It will damage your electronics. Your fans and your dedicated LiPo will be completely independent of the rest of your electronics.
For now, I’d say disregard this whole approach. The Max 6 has a good internal BEC. Program it to 7.4 volts and plug your fans directly into your receiver. FWIW, when I first moved to Arrma this is the setup I ran. Max 6 combo with two additional fans running on the motor. It never overloaded the BEC and it never glitches or browns out at all, ever. I’m still running it this way in my heavy Mojave and have never once had an issue. Keep it simple and go have fun. If your ESC glitches with this setup (and I’m confident it won’t anyway) you can always take a different route.
Thanks Dan

My understanding is from someone on this forum doing exactly that, see above they are plugging in there battery to the receiver and then using the receiver to distribute power?

Also thanks for the pointer, honestly that was my setup I had in my head, and the reason I came here was to see how I do about it with cables etc. then I got a little lost in people various set ups.

Easy and have fun sounds good to me 👍 that’s what I’m looking for oh and to try and keep my kit in good shape.

Appreciate the reply

I just plugged the fans into the regular battery terminal, which is a jst I think I use fans like this from aliexpress
D45329D5-5D45-49B7-BC59-0F8E0167C04D.png

I just wire it to a jst connector and plug into the battery when I run the fans. There high speed too.
sry I don’t know why aliexpress is in German lol 😂
C7E5D2D1-8C5F-4500-9696-69EF101396A0.png

The only reason I ran a separate battery was due to the demands of the steering servo. Pro Modeler highly recommened that approach, so I decided to give it a try. I have the exact same fans and ESC/Motor combo on my Talion, but it uses a more standard servo, so everything is just running off of the one battery.

Thanks Alan

This is the same set up as me. What fans do you have running in the 3s?
How do you run multiple fans from the balance port , is it a splitter?

I’ve no idea about the battery capacitor to be honest , not had chance to look into it

Cheers

Thanks Dan

My understanding is from someone on this forum doing exactly that, see above they are plugging in there battery to the receiver and then using the receiver to distribute power?

Also thanks for the pointer, honestly that was my setup I had in my head, and the reason I came here was to see how I do about it with cables etc. then I got a little lost in people various set ups.

Easy and have fun sounds good to me 👍 that’s what I’m looking for oh and to try and keep my kit in good shape.

Appreciate the reply
You can do what the other member suggested, but I wouldn’t recommend it at all. If you power your receiver with a separate LiPo you need to snip/disconnect the power wire coming from your ESC on channel 2 of your receiver. I wouldn’t do that if I were you, but that’s just me. Your receiver can only get one source of power, You would be disabling the power from your ESC in that setup, and for your specific setup you have no reason to do that whatsoever. Your Max 6 has a very good built-in ESC. Just plug your fans into the receiver, forget the more elaborate wiring options, and let her rip. There’s about four ways to skin this cat, but in your situation you really don’t need to worry about any of that. Just my .02

I just plugged the fans into the regular battery terminal, which is a jst I think I use fans like this from aliexpress
View attachment 218629
I just wire it to a jst connector and plug into the battery when I run the fans. There high speed too.
sry I don’t know why aliexpress is in German lol 😂View attachment 218630
thanks Alan, obvious when someone tells you, didnt even thinka bout the lipos running on a JST connector for some reason, thought they were all EC5,XT90,Deanes etc....
You can do what the other member suggested, but I wouldn’t recommend it at all. If you power your receiver with a separate LiPo you need to snip/disconnect the power wire coming from your ESC on channel 2 of your receiver. I wouldn’t do that if I were you, but that’s just me. Your receiver can only get one source of power, You would be disabling the power from your ESC in that setup, and for your specific setup you have no reason to do that whatsoever. Your Max 6 has a very good built-in ESC. Just plug your fans into the receiver, forget the more elaborate wiring options, and let her rip. There’s about four ways to skin this cat, but in your situation you really don’t need to worry about any of that. Just my .02
thanks Dan, appreaicte it.

@craig72 In your original pics, it looks as though the fan on the ESC is upsidedown. Maybe I'm wrong, but traditionally fans blow on to the heatsink (think graphic cards or CPUs). Is there another reason I don't know about as to why you run them like this? Just curious.

Nothing too major, just wanted to share some pics. Finally got around to putting the larger 40x40x28 fan on my Max6 ESC. With the warmer weather coming up, I was itching to get this done. I've got the same setup ready to go for my Talion which runs the same Max6/4985 combo. The Kraton here runs a separate battery for the fans and steering servo. Sooo much more air than the stock fan! Had to shave a very small amount of the ESC heat sink on one side where it raises up to support the stock fan in order to get the new mount to sit flush. The dremel took care of it quickly.

View attachment 217918View attachment 217919View attachment 217920

View attachment 217921
Been meaning to ask, whose fan mount is that?

@craig72 In your original pics, it looks as though the fan on the ESC is upsidedown. Maybe I'm wrong, but traditionally fans blow on to the heatsink (think graphic cards or CPUs). Is there another reason I don't know about as to why you run them like this? Just curious.
If I recall, I just mounted it in the same direction as the stock unit. I'll keep an eye on temps and if it has issues, I'll try it the other way.
Been meaning to ask, whose fan mount is that?
I picked these up on eBay (ctstore-ca seller). They didn't come with any mounting hardware, but that wasn't an issue for me. Usually any hardware you get is junk anyway.

I picked these up on eBay (ctstore-ca seller). They didn't come with any mounting hardware, but that wasn't an issue for me. Usually any hardware you get is junk anyway.
Groovy man, thanks. I’ve got a couple on the way.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back