Max6 fan issue - it’s not the fan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fan runs off the escs internal bec if I am not mistaken. You have power out of the port the bec and the port are probably fine. But the problem could be the servo by what you are saying now. When a servo goes bad it can get wonky and overload the bec in the esc like a short when you operate the servo. The problem in the servo overloads the bec. Try a different servo or disconnect the servo from the receiver and see if the fan runs. I had something similar happen recently and the servo got really hot and overloaded the bec slowed the fan down like a brownout changed the servo all was good so the servo was bad. Might be your problem or not but worth a shot.
It was worth a shot but no dice. I bound a spare receiver and plugged only the ESC into it. No fan and no throttle/brake.

All this trouble continues to make me hesitant to buy HW. Up until recently I felt like I'd read plenty positives enough to consider buying from them. Castle is assembled in the US, correct? I think I feel better about going with them so far when time comes for me to upgrade.
*just my thoughts lately*
My only complaint with the castle is their switches are trash and stop working after a few packs.

I am not.

Yes. They shipped it back in a plastic bag. They kept the stock box I sent it in. Pricks.

Castle makes a better ESC. They are expensive though.

I don’t own a multimeter. As far as running the fan off the receiver, would it be supplying the correct amount of volts? In my case it is 7.4. I think the fan has 01 5V printed on it.
i recommend you buy a multimeter its very useful not only for stuff like this but also to check resistance in joints you solder.
My only complaint with the castle is their switches are trash and stop working after a few packs.
yeah. the people i know snip them off as soon as they get one. i was talking to brett from amain and he said the new escs have better switches with a rubber cover on top and they last much longer but im not sure.

also the hobbystar 120 amp esc is very good i bought one for my kraton and ran it on 6s when my stock esc blew up and it did overheat after 20 minutes but it never had any function issues after a few days a friend told me that i bought an esc meant for smaller trucks lol. its only $60 or 70 off their website shipped and it's very good from my experience. should be great for the new 4s line and or for your granite if that mamba X has somewhere better to go.

i recommend you buy a multimeter its very useful not only for stuff like this but also to check resistance in joints you solder.

yeah. the people i know snip them off as soon as they get one. i was talking to brett from amain and he said the new escs have better switches with a rubber cover on top and they last much longer but im not sure.
Hmm my recently purchased MM2 has the same switch as the Sidewinder SV3 SCT I bought back in 2015.

I own a single HW esc I bought for my redcat. Never finished out. I keep thinking about using it in a lwb truck or my single brcc

I own a single HW esc I bought for my redcat. Never finished out. I keep thinking about using it in a lwb truck or my single brcc

View attachment 36829
Technically all the Arrma escs are made by Hobbywing.
Am I looking at that wrong or does it have a wheelie bar on the top of the roll cage?

The best ESC I own in probably my Mamba Monster X. I've had it since late summer and it's been flawless, including the switch. Wait, I take that back. The fan broke on it and I had to replace it. But other than that it has been great. The reason I didn't go with a MMX for my Kraton and Notorious builds was price. I'm not hurting for cash but I figured that the Max6 would do the same job for less money (I wasn't running sensoreless). Both Max6's are less than 2 months old. One I purchased from my LHS and that is the one that has gone tits up. The second has maybe 2 runs on it and I bought it directly from HW. I'm not ready to say anything negative about the Max6. Any product, no matter how well it is made, can have an isolated issue. I'm sure there are people that have had MMX's die on them. How the manufacturer handles these types of issues is what matters most to me. The jury is still out on Hobbywing. I've never had to deal with Castle so I can't comment on them.

With regards to the two Max10 SCT's I purchased, the issue I had was my fault. I obviously was asking it to do something it wasn't capable of doing well. That's not on Hobbywing. I'm sure it is a great ESC in the right application as people here have already attested to. So I'm not putting that on HW.

from what i know the mm2 and sv3 are both very old escs.
Yeah, the MMX has the newer switch. However, the MMX has a sensor port that it and the switch both plug into on the esc, if you get water on it causes the thing to act stupid. Or at least that's what they told my me issue might be with the MMX/2200kv in my savage.

UPDATE:
My LHS had sent the Max6 to HW for inspection. He texted me yesterday and said that they are going to replace it. They didn't tell him what was wrong with it. They are closed today so I will pick it up tomorrow. The Notorious will ride again! ??

UPDATE:
My LHS had sent the Max6 to HW for inspection. He texted me yesterday and said that they are going to replace it. They didn't tell him what was wrong with it. They are closed today so I will pick it up tomorrow. The Notorious will ride again! ??
Who is your lhs? How are they, is it a good shop to visit? Always looking for a road trip on a crappy day to check out new lhs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back