Max6 vs Max8 vs Hobbywing quicrun wp 150a esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lufkin25

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Honest, I looked and did not see a thread like this posted here. If there is, please let me know.
I am fairly new to all of this and still learning, so bare with me please. I see a lot of people talking about the max8 esc and before that the max6 was all the talk. But I have also seen videos and read people running the 150 amp waterproof hobbywing quicrun-wp-8BL-150. My question is the max8 esc for $130 really better than the HW quicrun for $90? Looking to maybe do a motor and esc upgrade. Maybe just a motor... still searching for my options there (there are a lot of them) lol thanks in advance for any help!

The quicrun is the least powerful of the 3 you mentioned. The biggest motor it can run is the stock 4074 can that comes in all the 6s trucks, perfectly fine for the job but I wouldn't push it any more, I'd consider it an 8th scale buggy esc.

The max8 is a little beefier than the quicrun. It's basically an 8th scale monster truck esc. Good for motors up to 4082 size.

The max6 is a light 5th scale scale esc, right at home in something like a Traxxas Xmaxx (heavy 6th scale) with a castle 1717 (4585) sized motor. It's also 8s lipo capable compared to the other 2 that are only 6s capable.

Edit: No point in going from the stock esc to any others if all you plan on running is 6s. The only thing upgrading electronics does is reduce heat. If you're not having heat issues, no point in upgrading. Obviously if you want a higher voltage than yes, upgrade to a max6 and put some 8s capable motor in, but at that point you're overkill. If the motor is what you're having trouble with, then you'll have to upgrade that to a longer or bigger can, but when you do that the stock esc will no longer be usable. In that case I'd recommend the max8 if you want to stay hobbywing, and buy some hobbystar or leopard 4082 motor.

I've always been part of team castle, the mamba monster 2 being my favorite because it's such a brute of an esc.

Last edited:
$130 for a Max8 esc is getting raped, I bought the complete combo with motor,. esc and program card for $143.

Yeah I was gonna say that’s a TON. Can get a mamba monster for that price!

Well you gotta pay more for better stuff hah!

Jokes aside, realize the mamba monster 2 is completely out of max8's league.

Oh dude that thing is bad ass! I've almost pulled the trigger numerous times but to be honest I can just use an MMM and have that firmware.

See my original plan was to hack my mxl6s and flash 1.24 onto it, but I got banned off the forums before me and my very intelligent friend (he was the one who first figured out the et-3s hack) could finally get it done. Disappointing :(.

1.24 might be a little hardcore for someone whose new to castle so I wouldn't recommend it to the op. All the MMM's I've owned were brutal. I don't even have an MMM in my possession anymore now that I think about it.

The quicrun is the least powerful of the 3 you mentioned. The biggest motor it can run is the stock 4074 can that comes in all the 6s trucks, perfectly fine for the job but I wouldn't push it any more, I'd consider it an 8th scale buggy esc.

The max8 is a little beefier than the quicrun. It's basically an 8th scale monster truck esc. Good for motors up to 4082 size.

The max6 is a light 5th scale scale esc, right at home in something like a Traxxas Xmaxx (heavy 6th scale) with a castle 1717 (4585) sized motor. It's also 8s lipo capable compared to the other 2 that are only 6s capable.

Edit: No point in going from the stock esc to any others if all you plan on running is 6s. The only thing upgrading electronics does is reduce heat. If you're not having heat issues, no point in upgrading. Obviously if you want a higher voltage than yes, upgrade to a max6 and put some 8s capable motor in, but at that point you're overkill. If the motor is what you're having trouble with, then you'll have to upgrade that to a longer or bigger can, but when you do that the stock esc will no longer be usable. In that case I'd recommend the max8 if you want to stay hobbywing, and buy some hobbystar or leopard 4082 motor.

I've always been part of team castle, the mamba monster 2 being my favorite because it's such a brute of an esc.
Thank you very much for all the good info! Very detailed and thorough!

I am having zero issues with the stock motor or esc. I am only looking to upgrade both for more power and speed. Not too interested in buying batteries to run 8s. I have seen the difference it makes in the kraton with the leopard 4082. Its like putting on a turbo! I am sure there are other good combos too though. I might be sold on that max 8 for $125... thanks again!
Edit: sorry, I meant the mamba monster (not max8)

Last edited:
I see. Also 125 for a max8... definitely rape. Can literally get a mamba monster for the same price at that point :eek:

He probably got a steal and was just at the right place at the right time. Realize that combo still has a 4074 motor so it won't be faster or run any cooler than stock, but now that you quote that, I coulda sworn max8's were like $99 shipped a few months ago.

May I ask where did you buy the max8 convo? That sounds like a deal even my wife would appreciate! Lol
I bought my combo from Banggood, but the price is like $170 now :( last week it was $150.

He probably got a steal and was just at the right place at the right time. Realize that combo still has a 4074 motor so it won't be faster or run any cooler than stock, but now that you quote that, I coulda sworn max8's were like $99 shipped a few months ago.
Yup got a deal on Banggood.

Idk my Max8 is a night and day difference over the BLX185 setup, it's snappier, has a lot more grunt hell I almost pulled off a quadruple backflip with it, with the BLX185 I was lucky do get a double.

That is probably the case, and I believe you there, but that's not showing the max8 being a much stronger esc, that's just down to how arrma programmed (nerfed) the blx 185.

That is probably the case, and I believe you there, but that's showing the max8 being a much stronger esc, that's just down to how arrma programmed the blx 185.

I know comparing a Max8 to a BLX185 is kind of like comparing a Corvette to an Impala.
Oh yeah I think I might have to drop it down to a 12 or 13T pinion though 16t is just too much lol.

I'd go impala all the way! I owned a 95 ss for a little while! We should stop threadjacking LoL

And I missed the word not I just edited it in lol.

I'd go impala all the way! I owned a 95 ss for a little while! We should stop threadjacking LoL

And I missed the word not I just edited it in lol.
Idk if it technically counts as hijacking as we are adding and discussing the differences in escs and stuff lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back