Max6 vs Max8 vs Hobbywing quicrun wp 150a esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me wrong the BLX185 system is a decent rtr system I just wish Arrma would have done like Hobao does, and just put a real Hobbywing combo in their vehicles. I need to check but I think they come with the WP8BL150 combo.

-edit- looks like I was wrong about Hobao too, they use a Hobbywing WP-S8B, which as near as I can see is just a rebranded WP-8BL150.

Last edited:
Yup got a deal on Banggood.

Idk my Max8 is a night and day difference over the BLX185 setup, it's snappier, has a lot more grunt hell I almost pulled off a quadruple backflip with it, with the BLX185 I was lucky do get a double.
If the max8 is a night and day difference and requires a smaller pinion to tame it down, I assume the mamba monster would be the same way? Perhaps an esc would give me what I am looking for without a motor upgrade?

If the max8 is a night and day difference and requires a smaller pinion to tame it down, I assume the mamba monster would be the same way? Perhaps an esc would give me what I am looking for without a motor upgrade?
I'm pretty sure I left the punch on the factory setting on the Max8 as well, with the BLX185 I had it cranked up to 9. But like Peenut explained this is probably more do to the limited functionality of the BLX185 compared to the Max8.

I'm pretty sure I left the punch on the factory setting on the Max8 as well, with the BLX185 I had it cranked up to 9. But like Peenut explained this is probably more do to the limited functionality of the BLX185 compared to the Max8.
Likewise.. I have my BLX185 set to punch 9. I may have unrealistic expectations after watching a ton of duperbash's videos. But I feel like the kraton is lacking power compared to my what I thought it would do in my head...

I put a max8 2200 combo in my desc10 and losi 8ight t after running the blx system in both and its perfect, i run 14t on 4s and the talion needs 6s to keep up, the difference between the two is pretty significant on a track, bearing in mind the talion is now running a 2250 flux combo on 15t pinion and theyre now pretty much neck and neck,

Don't get me wrong the BLX185 system is a decent rtr system I just wish Arrma would have done like Hobao does, and just put a real Hobbywing combo in their vehicles. I need to check but I think they come with the WP8BL150 combo.
I agree, blx 185 is definitely one of the better rtr systems.

Honestly I think the mamba monster might be too much right now. Just go max8, it'll be enough trust me!

A new esc won't make your truck faster, it'll just deliver the power better. Both will have the same speed. If you want more speed you'll have to gear up, and if you have heat issues when doing that you'll need a new motor.

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate all the advice!??

Nice, now to wait on the slow boat.
I have time to wait... still have 2 broken A-arms, bent shock bolt, bent shock tower, wing mount, and stock bumper. I swear that's the last time my father-in-law will drive it! Lol

Will do! I might have jumped the gun on the max8. Pretty sure my steering servo went out on me today Lol. Any chance I wont need a glitch buster or bec when I get the max8? Also any chance a 20kg lewansoul servo for $16 will get me by until I get a savox? I have an extra one on my rock crawler... lol

No harm in trying. Make sure to set your endpoints (dual rate) this time so it doesn’t go out like the last one.

No harm in trying. Make sure to set your endpoints (dual rate) this time so it doesn’t go out like the last one.
I did set my endpoints first thing before I even put power to the wheels. Maybe I didn't do it quite right though. I think I did but I am not 100% I couldn't wait and ordered the savox sw-1210sg. It will be here Thursday. Looks like I wont need the bec or glitch buster with the max8! Good deal. Thank you Peeeenuuutt!

No problemo. Yeah the most common thing people do wrong is a few things with dual rates.

After a hard crash you’ll probably have to redo it, and as temps change you’ll have to redo it.

Also make sure that you find which way the truck has the least amount of turning and set the dual rates on that side. You probably won’t need a BEC, but if that servo is a 7.4v one, you will. I’ll need to do a tutorial with you on how to bypass the receiver when we get to that bridge.

Last edited:
It limits how far the servo can turn the wheels. Arrma trucks sometimes come out of the factory with the dual rate set too high, so even though the wheels are turned to their maximum angle and hitting the chassis, the servos keep trying to make them turn even more, and it wears them out super quick, so you gotta make sure the servo stops turning the wheels before they reach their maximum steering angle.

Edit: anyone want a max5?? Lol... literally dirt cheap.

https://www.rcjuice.com/sale-95/leopard-bl5-200a-1-5-scale-waterproof-esc-2s-8s.html

Edit2: holy crap it comes with XT150's, that's the best connector I've ever seen offered pre soldered onto an esc. Those things are insane.

Last edited:
Will do! I might have jumped the gun on the max8. Pretty sure my steering servo went out on me today Lol. Any chance I wont need a glitch buster or bec when I get the max8? Also any chance a 20kg lewansoul servo for $16 will get me by until I get a savox? I have an extra one on my rock crawler... lol
I have a jx 20kg servo in my rigs pretty sure they're the same type and that thing has been reliable i beat on it daily and it just keeps going has alot more power than stock to and its only 15$

No problemo. Yeah the most common thing people do wrong is a few things with dual rates.

After a hard crash you’ll probably have to redo it, and as temps change you’ll have to redo it.

Also make sure that you find which way the truck has the least amount of turning and set the dual rates on that side. You probably won’t need a BEC, but if that servo is a 7.4v one, you will. I’ll need to do a tutorial with you on how to bypass the receiver when we get to that bridge.
Well my savox sw1210 is going to be here today. It is a 6v servo. I am still using the factory blx185. What did you mean by bypassing the RX? Did I not have to take the reciever box off the truck? Lol changed my front diff fluid too... couldn't use 2 planetary shims like Thomas P does. Hope its together right lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back