Kraton Max8 esc gone up in flames on first run.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwatchTV

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Ok guys. I gotta be honest I may be out of this hobby now before it hardly begun.

After my post about a stripped pinion on my new EXB Kraton, I finally managed to get to take the car out tonight on it maiden voyage.

I took it down to my local football pitch (soccer) and simply ran the car up and down the pitch, no jumps just what I thought was a simple first run.

After 5 - 10 minutes I stopped the car just to check temps and it was a but toasty but nothing major, so after a break for 5 minutes I started running the car again.

After another 5 minutes or so the car stopped. 'Batteries can't be dead already' I thought. Then as I walked to the car plumes of smoke came out of it filled by a big flame!

I made a dash to save the car, ripped out the lipos and stood looking like an idiot while the onlookers I had just 2 minutes earlier, were now stood pointing and laughing :(.

Anyone know what Hobbywing are like on warranty claims?

First time running it, I've never been one to have good luck but this is ridiculous. Well and truly put me off

20210802_210047_resized.jpg

20210802_210714.jpg

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking what gearing were you running?
Just the HW 2200kv motor on with a 12t pinion. Everything else is stock

I'm really pissed off TBH.

I've never found anything I truly enjoy doing in spare time. But I started this last year and really enjoyed it. But this has really put me off.

This probabaly ain't the best place to air this, butI suffer really badly with my mental health and these cars gave me something I can't put my finger. But this has really set me back.

Just the HW 2200kv motor on with a 12t pinion. Everything else is stock
To be honest it's a little higher end for the kv rating for that size vehicle but doesn't excuse the failure of the esc.. I personally haven't had luck with hobbywing warranty but I would hate to see someone leave the hobby over such things. I have a max 6 I could sell you. It's used obviously but I can make you a great deal just to keep you in the hobby👍 I even have a 4985 motor I could combo up for you and a pinion to go with it.

To be honest it's a little higher end for the kv rating for that size vehicle but doesn't excuse the failure of the esc.. I personally haven't had luck with hobbywing warranty but I would hate to see someone leave the hobby over such things. I have a max 6 I could sell you. It's used obviously but I can make you a great deal just to keep you in the hobby👍 I even have a 4985 motor I could combo up for you and a pinion to go with it.
Thanks for the offer but I've spent enough on this hobby.

When you say its too high end, do you mean the pinion or the motor?

Thanks for the offer but I've spent enough on this hobby.

When you say its too high end, do you mean the pinion or the motor?
The motor itself. The 2050kv stock is even a little on the higher end

The motor itself. The 2050kv stock is even a little on the higher end
Oh. But this is the combo that Modelsport are selling as part of their starter set on the kraton exb (although I got it from make it build it as it was cheaper)
Also as I've returned to my car, after leaving everything cool down, I've noticed that the black lead that connects from esc to battery was loose to the point that its come out. Which to me suggests it wasn't soldered in properly. Could that be cause of the fire?

Oh. But this is the combo that Modelsport are selling as part of their starter set on the kraton exb (although I got it from make it build it as it was cheaper)
Also as I've returned to my car, after leaving everything cool down, I've noticed that the black lead that connects from esc to battery was loose to the point that its come out. Which to me suggests it wasn't soldered in properly. Could that be cause of the fire?
They are wrong selling that combo. You should stay under 2000kv for an 1/8 basher.

I would contact MiBi and see what they say, to me it looks like the negative battery wire has melted loose from the esc 🤔 causing an issue..!!
As others have said, 2200kv is too high a kv for the Kraton to be honest, you would be better off with 1750kv or lower, also a Max 6 would be a better choice of esc..

God damn!

Ive been reccomend this combo as a starter setup by a few different places apart from (sods law) the actual place I purchased it from.

I give up!
I would contact MiBi and see what they say, to me it looks like the negative battery wire has melted loose from the esc 🤔 causing an issue..!!
As others have said, 2200kv is too high a kv for the Kraton to be honest, you would be better off with 1750kv or lower, also a Max 6 would be a better choice of esc..
Yeah, they've had a lengthy email sent to them. I purchased combo back in May with the intent of purchasing this Kraton. So although I've owned it for 2 months plus, this genuinely has been its first run.

Weather they'll belive that I'll just have to wait and see.

I actually checked that combo with Hobbywing as like you said it was in the bundle with Modelsport.

Hobbywing did not recommend using it on the Kraton, they said to get the Max6.

The email reply I had from Hobbywing said:

The EZRUN MAX6 and 4274 motor is recommended for this speed truck, and it is better to provide cooling fan for motor.
MAX8 is not very recommended for this speed and bash truck.

I actually checked that combo with Hobbywing as like you said it was in the bundle with Modelsport.

Hobbywing did not recommend using it on the Kraton, they said to get the Max6.

The email reply I had from Hobbywing said:

The EZRUN MAX6 and 4274 motor is recommended for this speed truck, and it is better to provide cooling fan for motor.
MAX8 is not very recommended for this speed and bash truck.
Great! My chances of a warranty claim really are slim.

Ah well best just to take it on the chin and accept that it's a lesson learnt I suppose.

its part of the hobby, if you were just upset cause the onlookers were pointing and laughing.... who cares what others think.
probably just poop luck, but don't let it deter you
😄 oh belive me that's the last of my concerns.

Yes it's part of the hobby and I'm really not looking for any sympathy. It hard to explain here but I have so much other poop going on at the moment (don't we all) that my RC just gives me that half hour to an hour or so to forget about things just for that brief moment.

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted as to how the warranty claim goes.

Thanks for all the advice as usual guys

Yes it's part of the hobby and I'm really not looking for any sympathy. It hard to explain here but I have so much other poop going on at the moment (don't we all) that my RC just gives me that half hour to an hour or so to forget about things just for that brief moment.

100% get you.
this is my getaway, shut my brain off and just play a bit. working on them or driving them.
my 1:1 projects is the same but i need to step away from that one sometimes too haha, plus its waiting on parts now too, needed more distractions lol

Sorry this happened to you...... it is not what usually happens, but the eyes of some VERY EXPERIENCED people have looked at your pics..... one has offered a deal on a DEFINITELY more adept speed control. I hope you can find room to continue..... I also hope you can experience what most of us have.... an enjoyable hobby.

Are you in the UK ? I think I have heard of that hobby shop before..... @Jase ..... is that the same place that gave you pointers?

If so..... I wouldn't take their suggestions too seriously..... better advice found here....

You mentioned mental health.....should I go there? yep...I will....

For 6 of my 18 year nursing career I worked in psych.....there is ONLY ONE REASON I bring that up..... so many people do not find something enjoyable to get away from it all..... to forget, as you say....

Maybe that can be RC for you.....only you will know.....

As far as sympathy, I feel we can sympathize.....not long ago, my wife and I took out our trusty rigs that have never given us a bit of trouble and in less than 10 minutes, both were out of commission. Needed parts for both, needed to wait on repairs.

So, we can sympathize.

Looked like a manufacturer defect (stinks!!!), crap happens, but I hope that you can repair it and enjoy months of care free RC fun ......

Sorry this happened @IwatchTV for what ever reason the max8 will do far better with lower kv motors. even long can 4292 1700kv will run just fine with them. I have several I run with 2050Kv 4274 motors for years with no issue. motors over heat way before the esc does. if you don't want to spend on the max6 setup, jennys rc sells the Team Corally (max8) and 2050motor. Theyre around 150$. It is superior to the new spectrum setup for sure and has no "smart" nonsense. I wish I could recommend another brand but HW are the most reliable, at least for me.

I got the Xerun XR8 Plus with 1900KV in my EXB. Originally running with 16T pinion. Did not even run a full pack and just died. No smoke or anything but noticed the caps have vented meaning it overheated. I contacted HW about warranty service and to cut the story short after 1 1/2 months they denied warranty. They offered me a new ESC for half the price. I decided to take that offer rather than throw $290, what I paid for the combo. I got the new ESC back BUT as an insurance I added a CAP Pack to the system. If you read the instruction manual, it is recommended that this is necessary for heavier models.
It has been working fine so far but I did gear it down to 14T and still overheating. I chose this ESC combo since I want a sensored motor. If I have known better I would have just bought The Castle Creations CSE010-0165-04, X8s with 1520-1650KV motor. I am eyeing this combo right now due to price drop from Horizon and Tower Hobbies. This is the small diameter version to fit the Kraton without modifications.

I got the Xerun XR8 Plus with 1900KV in my EXB. Originally running with 16T pinion. Did not even run a full pack and just died. No smoke or anything but noticed the caps have vented meaning it overheated. I contacted HW about warranty service and to cut the story short after 1 1/2 months they denied warranty. They offered me a new ESC for half the price. I decided to take that offer rather than throw $290, what I paid for the combo. I got the new ESC back BUT as an insurance I added a CAP Pack to the system. If you read the instruction manual, it is recommended that this is necessary for heavier models.
It has been working fine so far but I did gear it down to 14T and still overheating. I chose this ESC combo since I want a sensored motor. If I have known better I would have just bought The Castle Creations CSE010-0165-04, X8s with 1520-1650KV motor. I am eyeing this combo right now due to price drop from Horizon and Tower Hobbies. This is the small diameter version to fit the Kraton without modifications.
The 1717 fits the Kraton no problem too. However a lot of us are having issues with the MMX8S (Castle ESCs in general) so I would stick with HW right now. A MAX6/1650 combo would be way more reliable in a basher today.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back