Kraton Max8 esc gone up in flames on first run.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What sort of issues are you having with the ESC?
Desync issues. The motor seems to cog and gets really hot. I’ve lost probably 8-10 motors since the launch of the MMX8S (I have 5 of them) and recently realized the whole time it was bad ESCs causing the issues. We kept thinking the motors were trash. However running the same motor on a MAX6 or MAX8 they run beautifully. I would strongly recommend a MAX6 for that Kraton. They really are the best suited ESC today.

Desync issues. The motor seems to cog and gets really hot. I’ve lost probably 8-10 motors since the launch of the MMX8S (I have 5 of them) and recently realized the whole time it was bad ESCs causing the issues. We kept thinking the motors were trash. However running the same motor on a MAX6 or MAX8 they run beautifully. I would strongly recommend a MAX6 for that Kraton. They really are the best suited ESC today.
What size pinion with the 1650kv? Fan for the motor?

Well Make It Build It are collecting it to go off for a warranty claim. Not holding my breath on anything though.

Thankfully I paid through Klarna, so for the moment my payment is on hold

Were you getting cogging even using a sensored setup?

@IwatchTV Good luck with your warranty claim, things like this does happen in the hobby, just a bad break for you. Don't let this deter you, hope you get sorted out and stay with it.

Oh great. I’ve just put the max8 in my Kraton also. As like the guy says places recommend this combo and it’s not just the place the guy mentions. It is a great hobby to lose yourself for an hour or for as long as batteries allow you. The woods I bash my truck in are so quiet until I get there.

The MAX8 is probably fine, but the higher KV motors are borderline to undersized for 6S rigs. I would say a Typhon would be OK with it being lighter and having smaller wheels. But a Kraton, Mojave, Talion, OC, or Noto should all get a motor under 1800kv for heavy bashing.

Oh great. I’ve just put the max8 in my Kraton also. As like the guy says places recommend this combo and it’s not just the place the guy mentions. It is a great hobby to lose yourself for an hour or for as long as batteries allow you. The woods I bash my truck in are so quiet until I get there.
Please add a cap pack 🙏

This is just a suggestion but I am glad that you guys are looking into this resource for accurate information. I could be wrong, but the people that suggest lower tier electronics maybe looking to make a sale right now, and when you yearn for something more than basic entry level a sale later. Like I said, I could be very wrong but one very wise person on this thread said one time, buy more than what you think you need, and you'll probably be okay. That way, you buy once and that's it. We learn as we go

Max8 combo in a Typhon is insane fun (or even more fun in a Typhon converted into a street machine), but as Dilly says in his post the 2200kv motor is just too high kv for the larger trucks.
Hobbywing also state in their paperwork that with the Max8 ESC you should fit the supplied cap pack to the esc..!!
It's a great combo (Max8), but I now just fit Max6's in everything lately 🤣🤣🤣 that way you can go with just about any motor you want kv wise..👍🏼

Just tossing this out there Hobbywing has been known to deny warranty claims if you don't install the cap pack.
So I’m quite new to the hobby and I have the cap pack with the combo I have. The thing is it’s still in the bag it came in as the leads came installed in the esc. I guess I’d have to splice it some way. 🙈🤔. How would one do this.

So I’m quite new to the hobby and I have the cap pack with the combo I have. The thing is it’s still in the bag it came in as the leads came installed in the esc. I guess I’d have to splice it some way. 🙈🤔. How would one do this.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/max8-cap-pack-installed.1065/

I did mine similar to how he did his. Except I found zip tying it to the negative esc lead was much more secure and convenient than sticking it to the side of the esc.

20210807_171744.jpg

20210807_172714.jpg

how bizarre!! - it does look like from the picture that the negative lead has popped out and sat in front of the capacitors where the fire was!!

Whether it was that, that caused the fire or it started with the cap packs who knows - you would expect the cap pack to swell and then explode maybe??

Anyhow, the combo you have in the Kraton EXB is pretty much what is in the Outcast EXB RTR so I don't think you have done anything wrong.

The doco mentions adding the optional cap pack if the vehicle is > 7kg's or you're doing speed runs...I doubt it's > 7kg.

I hope HobbyWing come through with the warranty claim and see if they mention anything about the optional cap pack or reason for the fire... (y)

how bizarre!! - it does look like from the picture that the negative lead has popped out and sat in front of the capacitors where the fire was!!

Whether it was that, that caused the fire or it started with the cap packs who knows - you would expect the cap pack to swell and then explode maybe??

Anyhow, the combo you have in the Kraton EXB is pretty much what is in the Outcast EXB RTR so I don't think you have done anything wrong.

The doco mentions adding the optional cap pack if the vehicle is > 7kg's or you're doing speed runs...I doubt it's > 7kg.

I hope HobbyWing come through with the warranty claim and see if they mention anything about the optional cap pack or reason for the fire... (y)
I guarantee that they will not honor its warranty. Mine was less than a month old when it died, actually my first battery pack. They will inspect the components and if any burning of the FET is evident they will throw out the warranty. They may offer you a new ESC at 50% off like they did for me. If you get the same ESC just make sure to add a cap pack
This is the damaged capacitors on XR8 Plus with 1900KV motor combo.

Attachments

• 20210408_161910.jpg
    20210408_161910.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 59
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
This is very very uncommon thing that happens in this hobby, i have drived rc cars to the limits, bought used old cars and pushed it to max, never had a failure with an esc before.

Now i have good experience with the stock electronic in the v5 also even someone say it’s garbidge. Esc runs cold and nicely but the motor heat up after a while, ordered a heatsink with a fan for the motor.

don't give up on the nice hobby and let this poor hobbywing esc scare you. Getting some fresh air and same time having other things to do is healthy 😎

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back