Maybe I’m dumb and confused, but a little insight would be nice…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Project_Revenant

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Senton 3s
I’m pretty new to the “smart technology” thing and can’t get past something. Last time I was heavy into RC telemetry was just getting big. I leave for 5 years and come back and was excited to see what has happened until…. Why in the world is motor temps not a thing. Back in the day I used batteries that had wouldn’t break a sweat, ESC’s were smart enough to shut down if they got hot. It was the motor I feel I always seemed to be watching close. ie: gearing changes, tire changes, pushing limits of Rpm exceeding voltage/Kv ratings, hot summer day compared to winter. Motor has no brains and needs to be monitored in my opinion. Now that I see all this new fancy smart tech and it doesn’t seem to care about the motor. My answer thus far is “go get a thermometer” Am I just missing someting? I’d gladly give up battery temps, ESC temps, individual cell readings via the radio, rpm, the number of times a battery has been charged. Just to monitor the motor without a “laser thermometer”. Maybe I’m totally missing something, maybe I’m just an old fart now. This smart technology has awesome potential I think it’s amazing how easy it is now. I remember spending hours and hours with sensors, BEC’s and tons of tuning to do what they are doing now with a single plug. I’m just feeling like it’s missing the mark. Sorry off my soap box now.

I think the HW ESC's have a overhear cutoff for the motor too, and TRX ones too. I don't know about Spektrum.

I'd just get a laser thermometer. I got one for $15, and you can do much more with one than just measure motor temps. They can be used with the BBQ and pizza ovens too 😋

I just use an infrared thermometer, it works perfectly for RCs, I wonder if it’s possible to somehow use a LiPo temp sensor to monitor motor temperature. Traxxas makes one, but you need a TQi tx/rx and the bluetooth module. Traxxas sensor.

I’m pretty new to the “smart technology” thing and can’t get past something. Last time I was heavy into RC telemetry was just getting big. I leave for 5 years and come back and was excited to see what has happened until…. Why in the world is motor temps not a thing. Back in the day I used batteries that had wouldn’t break a sweat, ESC’s were smart enough to shut down if they got hot. It was the motor I feel I always seemed to be watching close. ie: gearing changes, tire changes, pushing limits of Rpm exceeding voltage/Kv ratings, hot summer day compared to winter. Motor has no brains and needs to be monitored in my opinion. Now that I see all this new fancy smart tech and it doesn’t seem to care about the motor. My answer thus far is “go get a thermometer” Am I just missing someting? I’d gladly give up battery temps, ESC temps, individual cell readings via the radio, rpm, the number of times a battery has been charged. Just to monitor the motor without a “laser thermometer”. Maybe I’m totally missing something, maybe I’m just an old fart now. This smart technology has awesome potential I think it’s amazing how easy it is now. I remember spending hours and hours with sensors, BEC’s and tons of tuning to do what they are doing now with a single plug. I’m just feeling like it’s missing the mark. Sorry off my soap box now.
You need a sensored setup if you want motor temps.

On my kraton (and the Xmaxx and maxx) I have the Traxxas tqi TD and rx…. I have the telemetry set up. So I can see engine temps, rpm, and speed based off gearing…. Not bad for a RTR system…. Never have problems with the radio and I set the kraton up via the app…. Makes set up so easy… Traxxas surly got that right… from the drone to the land vehicles… the tqi system works well….

The temp on the tqi and my temp gun are always close enough. Who is to say either is right or wrong. So that’s the hard part honestly…

On my kraton (and the Xmaxx and maxx) I have the Traxxas tqi TD and rx…. I have the telemetry set up. So I can see engine temps, rpm, and speed based off gearing…. Not bad for a RTR system…. Never have problems with the radio and I set the kraton up via the app…. Makes set up so easy… Traxxas surly got that right… from the drone to the land vehicles… the tqi system works well….

The temp on the tqi and my temp gun are always close enough. Who is to say either is right or wrong. So that’s the hard part honestly…
Motor temps will vary widely depending on where you probe them. Internal temps will be way higher than the outer temps. Location of the probe from end to end could vary some as well.

Some of the sensorless Hobbwing motor and ESC combinations have a cable between the motor and the ESC. The sole purpose of that cable is to transmit motor temps to the ESC so it can shut down the system in case of an over temp situation: it does not sense rotor position like in a true sensored system.

Just a reminder to actually check if thermal protection/monitoring is actually available on your selection. The popular Hobbywings do NOT have it (Max series) The motors have a port, but it's not supported.

Agree with OP that it should be standard, but it adds complexity and the standard user already struggles with fan wires.

Last edited:
Just a remi der to actually check if thermal protection/monitoring is actually available on your sele tion. The popular Hobbywings do NOT have it (Max series) The motors have a port but it's not supported.

Agree with OP that it should be standard but it adds complexity and the standard user already struggles with fan wires.
The Hobbywing Max10 SCT DOES have thermal protection. See section 05, Connections, paragraph 1, of the manual (link below).

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...0-SCT_MAX10_20160606.pdf?15305060791150460816

If you really want to dive into the telemetry pool.
Castle high end ESCs can connect to Futaba sBus and get all the data back to the radio, plus any extra sBus peripheral sensors you want to run.
That would be the ultimately equipment/telemetry setup in my opinion.

1638990199363.png

@morrjr71 I stand corrected, but the Max10 is not a real choice for our applications.
At any rate, key is to check the stuff you buy beforehand and not rely on the forum alone.

You can add thermal telemetry to the Spektrum 6110 receiver as well, it' just not trivial and cost a bunch of $$ unlike RPM and speed data which is nice but semi useless when you are actually running.

@morrjr71 I stand corrected, but the Max10 is not a real choice for our applications.
At any rate, key is to check the stuff you buy beforehand and not rely on the forum alone.

You can add thermal telemetry to the Spektrum 6110 receiver as well, it' just not trivial and cost a bunch of $$ unlike RPM and speed data which is nice but semi useless when you are actually running.
I totally understand that a Max10 is not an option for our vehicles. I was just pointing out that saying that Hobbywing Max series in general does not support temp monitoring should not be taken as fact.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back