McMaster-Carr - Screw finish - Black, Zinc Plated or Blue Dyed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
I am looking to buy some extra hardware for my various RC's. I went to McMaster-Carr and I see three options for finish: black, zinc plated and blue dyed. What would be my best option? I'm not the most diligent about drying my trucks after running them so I do end up with a lot of rust covered screw heads. So zinc plated?

The blue dye doesn’t add any structural properties, it’s more for visibility. If you are shooting for corrosion resistance then I would go with the zinc plated 12.9 screws. The black screws are just your basic black oxide screws. The most important part is that they class 12.9.

I go with the black oxide as well. The zinc ones tend to not want to stay tight. Guessing the coating is a bit more slippery than black oxide. After you wrench them, the tool mars up the inside of the screw head and they rust anyway.

Just don't get stainless.

For those that have ordered from McMaster, what was the shipping cost? I have always ordered through work and tagged my hardware onto their orders but would like to know for ordering for myself and having it shipped to my home.

For those that have ordered from McMaster, what was the shipping cost? I have always ordered through work and tagged my hardware onto their orders but would like to know for ordering for myself and having it shipped to my home.
Yeah what he said ^

Looks like my last orders shipping was under $8. I believe mcmaster is in IL about 50 miles from where I live. Not sure if that makes much difference though. Shipping domestic is shipping domestic.

2019-0107-mcmaster-order-withShipping.jpg

My previous order in late 2017 had $11 for shipping. Guessing because I ordered a piece of aluminum 3/16" x 1 1/2" x 3' stock.
2017-0815-mcmaster-order-withShipping.jpg

Ugh... still regretting getting those "Top-Lock Distorted-Thread Locknut's". They work once, then you can almost remove them with your fingers. Will stick with the nylon insert ones from now on.

The blue dye doesn’t add any structural properties, it’s more for visibility. If you are shooting for corrosion resistance then I would go with the zinc plated 12.9 screws. The black screws are just your basic black oxide screws. The most important part is that they class 12.9.

I can't find flat head screws in 12.9. I used some of the part numbers from @olds97_lss post and they come up as 10.9. The socket heads come up at 12.9 though. Does McMaster-Carr make 12.9 alloy flat head screws?

I can't find flat head screws in 12.9. I used some of the part numbers from @olds97_lss post and they come up as 10.9. The socket heads come up at 12.9 though. Does McMaster-Carr make 12.9 alloy flat head screws?
I had to search for them but I found them. I had to go Screws & bolts, flat head screws, hex drive flat head screws, then click on steel material from the left, then go to the bottom on the left and click show more, then grade 12.9 showed up as an option in the left. Unfortunately the web link doesn't change when you do a search, otherwise I would just copy and paste it in here.

I had to search for them but I found them. I had to go Screws & bolts, flat head screws, hex drive flat head screws, then click on steel material from the left, then go to the bottom on the left and click show more, then grade 12.9 showed up as an option in the left. Unfortunately the web link doesn't change when you do a search, otherwise I would just copy and paste it in here.

View attachment 33234

Thank you.Unfortunately they don't have the sizes I want in 12.9. For example, in M4 they only have 5mm, 20mm, and 25mm. No 16mm or 18mm or 40mm. Is it ok to use 10.9 when 12,9 isn't available? What class are the stock screws?

Thank you.Unfortunately they don't have the sizes I want in 12.9. For example, in M4 they only have 5mm, 20mm, and 25mm. No 16mm or 18mm or 40mm. Is it ok to use 10.9 when 12,9 isn't available? What class are the stock screws?
I want to say that the stock ones are a mixture of 12.9 and 10.9 but I'm not 100% sure.i have never seen 12.9 screws without "12.9" stamped into the head. Doesn't mean that they don't exist, but I've never seen them.

I usually buy long and dremel them if I need short ones.

I never noticed the flat heads weren't 12.9. I just click willy nilly on there and end up with $70 worth of screws/nuts/washers close to the sizes I need. I do avoid stainless though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back