Mega 15T motor on Granite smoked at 3 hours

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddyott

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
image.jpeg
So I got my son a Granite mega for his birthday, have the stock battery 2000 and 3000 to get some time on it with him. 15T went up in smoke today. Had a 20 year old Kyosho LeMans 360ST I broke in and never used back in the day! I'm new to the world of ESC's so here's my question! Will the 360ST which is a 550 ~ 22 turn motor be safe to run on the Granite Mega ESC which normally pushes a 540 ~ 15 turn motor using the stock pinion off the Granite Mega?

Last edited:
Like you, I toasted my Raider 15T right away, 3rd run I believe. Raider, Vorteks, Granite, Fury share many parts.
The way I understand the brushed motors, the higher the turns, the greater the torque, like you want for say a crawler. The lower the turns, the higher the revs and top end.
After my 15T toasted, I went to the LHS, they sold me a Traxxas 12T 550 brushed motor. The motor slid into place perfectly, no mod necessary, even the electrical plugs were identical. The 550 is slightly longer, hung out a bit more, but there's plenty of room.
The Traxxs 12T was $25 with tax, I believe. Gave my Raider more punch on acceleration. The was my first "mod", if you want to call it a mod. Down side to some, up side to me, it was a call for speed, a month later I was upgrading to brushless, LOL!
I still have the 12T, I'd be happy to sell you, cheap. The negative on my selling is the freight would prob be ridiculous and easier for you to hit a LHS.

In the manual it states - "Always ‘Run-in’ your vehicles brushed motor prior to use. ARRMA recommend supporting the vehicle with the drive wheels clear of the ground and run it at constant, low to half throttle for at least three full battery packs."

It may may not help to run-in the motor but worth a try if you get a replacement ARRMA MEGA 15T brushed motor under warranty.

The manual also says to keep an eye on motor and esc temps - "Check motor and ESC temperatures regularly, especially in hot climates. The maximum safe temperatures are:
• 70 degrees Celsius / 170 degree Fahrenheit for ESCs.
• 80 degrees Celsius / 180 degrees Fahrenheit for motors.
• If motors or ESCs exceed 95 degrees Celsius / 200 degrees Fahrenheit it can shorten their life or cause failure. If in doubt regarding temperatures, allow your vehicle time to cool down between runs."

I bought an inexpensive infrared temperature gun for $ 15 which works great for checking the temps.

Also, the Traxxas 12T Titan motor is a good inexpensive upgrade motor to use in place of the MEGA 15T motor.

Best regards,
Brian

In the manual it states - "Always ‘Run-in’ your vehicles brushed motor prior to use. ARRMA recommend supporting the vehicle with the drive wheels clear of the ground and run it at constant, low to half throttle for at least three full battery packs."

It may may not help to run-in the motor but worth a try if you get a replacement ARRMA MEGA 15T brushed motor under warranty.

The manual also says to keep an eye on motor and esc temps - "Check motor and ESC temperatures regularly, especially in hot climates. The maximum safe temperatures are:
• 70 degrees Celsius / 170 degree Fahrenheit for ESCs.
• 80 degrees Celsius / 180 degrees Fahrenheit for motors.
• If motors or ESCs exceed 95 degrees Celsius / 200 degrees Fahrenheit it can shorten their life or cause failure. If in doubt regarding temperatures, allow your vehicle time to cool down between runs."

I bought an inexpensive infrared temperature gun for $ 15 which works great for checking the temps.

Also, the Traxxas 12T Titan motor is a good inexpensive upgrade motor to use in place of the MEGA 15T motor.

Best regards,
Brian
Better yet, go brushless and hit the dirt/track/street and bash like a bat outta hell!
Buwahahaha! :cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back