Granite Mega 4X4 brushless upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmansdad

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 6s
  3. 4x4-Mega
First off.... This is not a quest for speed/power, this is a quest for stock performance and cool running.....

Ok.... I'm a noob to the RC world and have a Granite Mega 4x4. I love driving this thing, but apparently my driving habits are a little more aggressive than the current ESC/Motor setup allows for. I run in a small wooded grove, with twists, turns and lots of soft-ish dirt. My style is simple... Full throttle (because throwing dirt from all 4 tires is fun) to a turn, brake hard, square off, full throttle again. I don't have a straight away longer than 15 yards, so top speed is not a concern Oh, and I also have really thick Bermuda at the bottom of a long hill (covered in straw), that is fun to rip down and rip back up. I like this thing so much, I have a second one on the way so my kid and grandkid can race around over the Holidays.

That said, I've already burned up a motor and ESC. Arrma is being totally cool and replacing them, but I now understand that my driving habits are going to burn up the replacements unless I make some mods or learn throttle restraint (which I don't wish to do. I do NOT want a wheelie speed demon, I just want to bash around like I am and not burn up motors, so, first thought was a 12T or 13T pinion, but with the holes pre-drilled in the Mega motor mount, I can't guarantee that I could set the spacing to the spur accurately. Second thought was maybe a 550 15T-21T motor might help, but I don't want to lose what little top end I currently have. Both possible solutions, but then I got back on the internet (big mistake, LOL). Going brushless sounded like the solution to my problems. 2S only, lots of problems solved...except now I'm looking at broken drive components, etc... unless I want to upgrade, and I don't want to upgrade. If I wanted Brushless speed/power, I'd simply by myself a Kraton (my buddy has one, too fast for what I like to do).

Back to my question..... What are the thoughts about installing something like the Traxxas 3350R Velineon VXL-3s Brushless Power System and running it in training mode (50% forward, 50% reverse, 100% brake). Yeah, its a lot of money to run in half mode, but I'm not looking for performance increases, just cooling and battery life. Plus, the system could be used in a different vehicle some day.

Thoughts or suggestions? Again, I'll reiterate again, I REALLY like the Granite, have no intentions or desire to go faster, I just like to mash the hell out of the throttle, slide around trees, and throw dirt....

FWIW... This Forum is great. Thanks all in advance.

Some folks on YouTube are running these brushless without notable trouble with mild systems. (Under 4000kv) Program the punch setting softish.

Why not just put a fan on the ESC and a heatsink with a fan on the motor?

Definitely an option worth considering. The motor sits pretty tight against the driveline, so I’ll have to look at clearance. I didn’t even think about being able to add a fan to the ESC.... still learning what’s out there. As I said, Noob here. :cool:

If you want good, but not huge power, and cool running, I would look at getting a 3660 4-pole motor (SCT motor) in about 2000kv-2500kv, and running 3s. It should have lots of low end power, decent top speed, and should run cool.

Traxxas stuff is OK, but high dollar for just ok gear. If it was my money, I would get either a Hobbywing MAX10 ESC, or a SC8 and a SCT motor with low KV...

Quick look at a-main, and I don't see any low kv hobbywing motors. Castle does have this combo -https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-creations-mamba-x-sct-1-10-brushless-combo-w-1415-sensored-motor-cse010-0160-01/p578320

Also - I would not want to go to a really high power system, as I would worry about the plastic diffs. Even with the system above, you may test it on 2s first to see if it will be reliable, then later step up to 3s.

Or, another upgrade would be the "Kraton" upgrade.

If you want good, but not huge power, and cool running, I would look at getting a 3660 4-pole motor (SCT motor) in about 2000kv-2500kv, and running 3s. It should have lots of low end power, decent top speed, and should run cool.

Traxxas stuff is OK, but high dollar for just ok gear. If it was my money, I would get either a Hobbywing MAX10 ESC, or a SC8 and a SCT motor with low KV...

Quick look at a-main, and I don't see any low kv hobbywing motors. Castle does have this combo -https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-creations-mamba-x-sct-1-10-brushless-combo-w-1415-sensored-motor-cse010-0160-01/p578320

Also - I would not want to go to a really high power system, as I would worry about the plastic diffs. Even with the system above, you may test it on 2s first to see if it will be reliable, then later step up to 3s.

Or, another upgrade would be the "Kraton" upgrade.

What about this motor?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...ied-brushless-motor-17.5t-hwa30401108/p486687

Or this combo, but you probably don't need that expensive of an ESC.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...esc-v10-motor-combo-17.5t-hwa38020224/p520609

That could work. but kind of pricey for a bashing motor.

How about one of these? About $30. no soldering. The 1800KV one would be good for 3s, the 2200kv would work 2s or 3s.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m208-3660-1800kv-14t.html
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m212-3660-2200kv-11t.html
I guess I didn't think that $75 but was too bad for a motor, but maybe I've been in 1/8 and 1/5 scale for too long lol.

I have always wanted to to try the Tacon motors in my slash and my mini Revo, since they offer a HUGE variety of motor sizes and KV ratings, but never got around to it. The stock Traxxas VXL systems get very hot and that was only running them on 2s. I don't use my slash anymore but still use my mini Revo so maybe I will try them out sometime soon as they are really the only company that makes a stock sized motor for the mini Revo.

Great information, Guys. Thank You. Following links and reading comments ya'll post is helping to teach this old man a lot about this hobby. Upgrading gets sooooooo tempting, but as I go through this exercise and then look again at pricing, I have to remember this is a $240 Basher. Both of you have presented great information and options, but even at the bottom end, I'm still looking at over half what the thing is worth. I'm thinking I'm going to try to find a heat sink that will fit between the motor and the driveshaft and practice some "sigh" throttle control. Once I learn a little discipline, then I think I may have to take the most popular advise of all and buy the damn Kraton!

Great information, Guys. Thank You. Following links and reading comments ya'll post is helping to teach this old man a lot about this hobby. Upgrading gets sooooooo tempting, but as I go through this exercise and then look again at pricing, I have to remember this is a $240 Basher. Both of you have presented great information and options, but even at the bottom end, I'm still looking at over half what the thing is worth. I'm thinking I'm going to try to find a heat sink that will fit between the motor and the driveshaft and practice some "sigh" throttle control. Once I learn a little discipline, then I think I may have to take the most popular advise of all and buy the damn Kraton!
I've never had a brushed motor, but a lot of people from what I read don't replace the brushes, they just replace the whole motor for $15. Depending on how long they last, it may be beneficial in the long run to swap over to a brushless setup like the Tacon's that @Jerry-rigged has posted above. Just a thought.

upgrading these cars is half the fun. :) To me, though, I don't want to upgrade past what the platform can handle. The only question I really have about the mega 4x4 is those diffs. Someone has to go first... LOL

upgrading these cars is half the fun. :) To me, though, I don't want to upgrade past what the platform can handle. The only question I really have about the mega 4x4 is those diffs. Someone has to go first... LOL
Bingo!. I slapped a heat sink on the motor and backed off how hard I brake, and temps have dropped approx 80 degrees... What a difference. These are perfect for farting around the backyard with the family as they sit right now.
Now if that damn Kraton would stop calling my name........ :confused:

Bingo!. I slapped a heat sink on the motor and backed off how hard I brake, and temps have dropped approx 80 degrees... What a difference. These are perfect for farting around the backyard with the family as they sit right now.
Now if that damn Kraton would stop calling my name........ :confused:

Which heatsink are you using?

Which heatsink are you using?
I found that the 2 piece system, made by Team Associated, for the dual motor E-Maxx fits perfect!. Clears the driveshaft and slipper tool access beautifully. And even better, while you can buy them from different sellers for $38-$45 dollars, if you buy from Team Associated directly, they are clearing them out for $3 a set, plus $6.99 shipping. A set includes 4 half size heat sinks, which takes care of 2 motors. Link below (while they last)

Heat Sink

-Dave

I found that the 2 piece system, made by Team Associated, for the dual motor E-Maxx fits perfect!. Clears the driveshaft and slipper tool access beautifully. And even better, while you can buy them from different sellers for $38-$45 dollars, if you buy from Team Associated directly, they are clearing them out for $3 a set, plus $6.99 shipping. A set includes 4 half size heat sinks, which takes care of 2 motors. Link below (while they last)

Heat Sink

-Dave

Thanks! I saw a few on Amazon as well, but only for a few bucks less. I grabbed a set of these since you confirmed they fit.

tons of clearance.....
Granite Heat Sink.jpeg

Any opinions on putting the traxxas vxl 3s system in. It was on sale here in Canada for 150$ esc and motor combo. Only issue I'm wondering about is the shaft on the motor is 2.8mm. but the esc runs brushed, brushless, and sensored brushless from what I'm reading.

IMHO, a lot of money for a mediocre system. If you want mediocre, then get a china brushless system, like the HobbyKing Trackstar for around $80. If you want a better system, HobbyWing SC8 or MAX10 for $100-$125, or a Castle system.

Okay ya I was leaning towards the hobbywing sc8 before I saw the vxl on sale. Any recommendations for motors that have the 3.175mm shaft?

I agree with @Jerry-rigged. I have that system left over from my Slash, and it isn't a great system. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad system. Just not worth the huge price tag in my opinion. I would get a Castle system or Hobbywing myself.

Okay ya I was leaning towards the hobbywing sc8 before I saw the vxl on sale. Any recommendations for motors that have the 3.175mm shaft?

Most 3650 motors will have a 1/8" - 3.175 shaft. Personally I'd look for one around 3500kv-4000kv, 4 pole for 2s, or 2500-3300kv for 3s.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back