Granite Mega 4X4 brushless upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not trying to sell anything, but I used this in my Granite 4x4 (it now lives in me Senton-Mega) and its been great. I ONLY run 2S on my Mega's.
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXETXT
Its a $29.99 brushless 3900kv motor. If bashing around in small spaces, on the Granite, leave the 14T pinion installed. 17T will cog, but then run FAST. I could show you how it runs, but can't upload a video for some reason.
I used this after watching Jay Tee's videos on YouTube.
Eventually I went right back to brushed on my Granites though... too much "umph" resulted in too many broken parts (I short track bash around a lot of trees with my kid and grandkids.... call it damage control)
Whatever you do, enjoy. I love mine!

Yeah, brushless motors are pretty much a "mature tech" meaning that unless you go very high dollar, there really is not a big difference between the cheap ones and the mid level ones. Just make sure you understand poles and KV and can size and amps, and buy on price
https://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-...-1110570.html?rmmds=category&cur_warehouse=CN

ESC's, on the other hand- Cheap ones are just cheap, and don't last. Stick with ones with known good brands, or at least known good return policy's. :) OTOH, even the 'good' brands tend to go up in smoke pretty regularly. Take Tekin - every time I go to the track on either race day or a big practice day, I see one go up in smoke. But they are still considered "one of the best".

Yeah, brushless motors are pretty much a "mature tech" meaning that unless you go very high dollar, there really is not a big difference between the cheap ones and the mid level ones. Just make sure you understand poles and KV and can size and amps, and buy on price
https://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-...-1110570.html?rmmds=category&cur_warehouse=CN

ESC's, on the other hand- Cheap ones are just cheap, and don't last. Stick with ones with known good brands, or at least known good return policy's. :) OTOH, even the 'good' brands tend to go up in smoke pretty regularly. Take Tekin - every time I go to the track on either race day or a big practice day, I see one go up in smoke. But they are still considered "one of the best".

I used to 1/10 scale race a lot, but all of the 1/10 ESC types are junk. Most 60-80a ESCs don't have enough overhead to be pushed to the limit in a racing environment. Castle ESCs were bombs @ my track. I don't even know what kind of nonsense they're pulling. They won't even give you the specs on the garbage unless it the godly XLX. It became such a (fiery) problem at my track that they let us use 100-150a ESCs as long as the motors stayed in the 1/10 scale range.

So I stuck HW quicrun 150s & blx185s in my buggys & SCTs & no more bombs, period. Heck, I never even lost a motor after I did that, let alone an ESC. The blx185 also connects to most 1/10 motors unmodded & it's dirt cheap on eBay.

Maybe I'm not finding the right data, but I can't find where the BLX185 ESC will work with 2S. I'm new to this stuff, but I can only find 3S, 4S and 6S supported.

Maybe I'm not finding the right data, but I can't find where the BLX185 ESC will work with 2S. I'm new to this stuff, but I can only find 3S, 4S and 6S supported.

Well if it doesn't support it then I just screwed my V3 Typhon's ESC. I let my oldest mess around with it on 2S for about 20 minutes yesterday. I also have 3 of these ESCs that never seen anything above 3S.

The blx185 is just a rebranded quicrun WP-8BL150 with 5 setting instead of 12. It can autodetect upto 6S but for some dumb reason cannot use 5S. The lipo cutoff for 2S works flawlessly. BTW, the buggy can hit a blazing 17mph on 2S.

Well if it doesn't support it then I just screwed my V3 Typhon's ESC. I let my oldest mess around with it on 2S for about 20 minutes yesterday. I also have 3 of these ESCs that never seen anything above 3S.

The blx185 is just a rebranded quicrun WP-8BL150 with 5 setting instead of 12. It can autodetect upto 6S but for some dumb reason cannot use 5S. The lipo cutoff for 2S works flawlessly. BTW, the buggy can hit a blazing 17mph on 2S.
HAHA! My opinion, 17-20 is plenty fast for the Mega 4x4. Now, how fast it gets there...... :)

Hey guys just installed my hobbywing sc8 esc and associated 3300kv 540-sl4 motor. On 2s it's maybe 3-5mph faster top speed then the stock with 2s. Acceleration alot better. Put a 3s in for about 5mins and the senton flys uncontrollably on our shop floor! Outside it was wicked! Definitely will break something soon haha. Will try and post video soon.

IMHO, a lot of money for a mediocre system. If you want mediocre, then get a china brushless system, like the HobbyKing Trackstar for around $80. If you want a better system, HobbyWing SC8 or MAX10 for $100-$125, or a Castle system.

I wanted to upgrade my sons Granite 4x4 with this system, I found this link on another post but can’t seem to find it now.

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-max10-combo

Ok I guess my questions are will it fit as intended on the Granite and what else would I need to salvage from the brushed motor that it currently has now?

I appreciate your help!

I bet those MAx10 combos would be pretty much a bolt on upgrade. If you get the 3652 size motor, it will have a 1/8" shaft, so you could use the same pinion. However, depending on KV and temps, you may need a new pinion to control heat. But - with the 3660 motor, it will have a 5mm shaft, so you will need a pinion with a matching 5mm bore.

Personally I would go for a lower KV option, in the 3660 size motor.

I bet those MAx10 combos would be pretty much a bolt on upgrade. If you get the 3652 size motor, it will have a 1/8" shaft, so you could use the same pinion. However, depending on KV and temps, you may need a new pinion to control heat. But - with the 3660 motor, it will have a 5mm shaft, so you will need a pinion with a matching 5mm bore.

Personally I would go for a lower KV option, in the 3660 size motor.

Thanks for the quick reply, I’m going to do a little bit more research before I finally decide to plug the trigger.

I’ll post pics of the upgrade and the total dollars it cost me to upgrade.

Appreciate the feedback!

At our shop we have done the Traxxas motor and ESC swaps, the castle motor and ESC 1/10 combo, and even a Posiden 1515 w/ a hobby wing Max 5 ESC. Depending on which gear you choose you may have to modify the motor mount slightly. But we have gone as far as putting a 32t pinion in it.

Hey guys. I just ordered the hobbywing Max10 combo with the 4000kv motor. What tooth pinion should I order for it? It’s the 3660. I will mainly run on 2S. Sometimes 3S.

I have the Senton brushed 2018 version with stock gearing. I thrown away the RTR setup on first day to put a Redcat 50A waterproof ESC (WP-10BL50-RTR) with an old Feigao sensorless 3800 kV. I've done multiple 3S packs (20 and 50C) with it and got no issue whatsoever. Power and speed are pretty much perfect, got torque and able to drive it full throttle all the time or so. It got really good runtime since amps output is not too high However, the slipper clutch slips alot. I should tighten it but I am afraid to break diffs or something since all is plastic... I am please with this truck but too bad there's no upgrades made by RPM (like the bumper I just broke).

Why not just put a fan on the ESC and a heatsink with a fan on the motor?
I'm making my Granite 4x4 brushless and that's what I'm going to do. The ESC I bought already has a fan, and I ordered a fan/heatsink for the motor! :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back