Granite Mega 4x4 Diff Input Gear Mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thrashed the truck on 3S today with 4 whole packs & the gear is holding up magnificently.
I'm doing the input mod today after switching to 3s and busting the input.

How do you keep your motor cool after 4 packs?!
I'm hitting 170f in 10 minutes on 3s. Fuse 3300kv and Castle SCT ESC.

Last edited:
My modded one broke last week. The grub I used to hold the shafts together ripped the rest of the plastic in half. I have the HD inputs now; one is in the back and a spare on hand. They held up to 3s running about 40mph for a while last Sunday and a few 2s packs as well. I'm certain they are much stronger than what I had modded. I believe the weak point for me now may be the 48p spur/pinion.

My modded one broke last week. The grub I used to hold the shafts together ripped the rest of the plastic in half. I have the HD inputs now; one is in the back and a spare on hand. They held up to 3s running about 40mph for a while last Sunday and a few 2s packs as well. I'm certain they are much stronger than what I had modded. I believe the weak point for me now may be the 48p spur/pinion.
Does the new HD input just plug right in?

Same tooth count?

Same tooth count?
Yes. Just make sure the bearings are seated all the way. The only problem I've seen since putting the hd in is now I'm destroying the plastic diff gears, but I think I have my slipper too tight. I had it about 1/2 turn back from fully seated, now I'm going to try about 1 full turn back.

Same tooth count?
Pay attention when you order. There is a 17t version that fits the Mega diffs, and the 13t version for the BLX3s trucks. If you want to use the 13t input, just order the 37t diff gear to go with it. The internals from the mega will fit into the BLX diffs.

Pay attention when you order. There is a 17t version that fits the Mega diffs, and the 13t version for the BLX3s trucks. If you want to use the 13t input, just order the 37t diff gear to go with it. The internals from the mega will fit into the BLX diffs.
Good point, I didn't even think of that. I'm going to try the 13/37 setup next. I had one last 17 tooth in my bag-o-goodies that figured I should use up before changing to something new. The 17 does good for a bit, but I still trash one every 2 to 3 weeks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINUM-FRONT-REAR-BIG-BORE-OIL-SHOCK-DAMPER-B-TEAM-LOSI-1-8-8IGHT-2-0-BUGGY/332187998554?_trkparms=aid=888007&algo=DISC.MBE&ao=1&asc=41451&meid=f5b4dbc95c29419295cc53a130233adf&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=2&sd=331781979446&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

They are slightly larger than the stockers, but that's good since they won't over-extend. I also had to use a servo mount spacer in the top holes. The stock shocks for the Typhon are a perfect fit, but the price is a bit steep & I needed them for another project.

The link doesn't work anymore. Can you please post a new link for these parts. I broke my front shock and my local hobby stores don't carry any.

Bought those. Any spring and oil wt recommendations in that case?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back