Granite Mega 4x4 Motor not working

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdoebs

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
Hey guys,

Hoping someone can help me diagnose my issue. I turn on the RC and the steering works, but won't go anywhere when hitting the throttle. The light on the ESC lights up when I hit the throttle so it seems to be getting the signal. I checked the voltage at the motor and it's getting power when the throttle is hit. But there is nothing even trying to spin.

What should I check next? Is the motor dead?

Hey guys,

Hoping someone can help me diagnose my issue. I turn on the RC and the steering works, but won't go anywhere when hitting the throttle. The light on the ESC lights up when I hit the throttle so it seems to be getting the signal. I checked the voltage at the motor and it's getting power when the throttle is hit. But there is nothing even trying to spin.

What should I check next? Is the motor dead?
Sounds like a dead motor to me. Check the wires and solder joints.

Sounds like a dead motor to me. Check the wires and solder joints.
The really weird part is last time we used it, it worked fine. We turned it off, went to use it again another day....and nothing.
Ah I have an idea. I have another granite...I can simply take the wire harness from that one and connect it to this motor and see if it powers up.
Ah I think I have an idea...I have another granite. I'll take the wires going to the engine and connect it to the other ESC and see if the engine powers up or not.

@jondilly1974 So I connected the ESC from the one with the motor not working to the other granite and it worked with that motor. So clearly it's the motor. My only question is if there is anything I can look at with the motor before just replacing it?

Also, if I'm replacing the motor, should I just go brushless? Or do I need to replace the ESC then too?

@jondilly1974 So I connected the ESC from the one with the motor not working to the other granite and it worked with that motor. So clearly it's the motor. My only question is if there is anything I can look at with the motor before just replacing it?

Also, if I'm replacing the motor, should I just go brushless? Or do I need to replace the ESC then too?

If you're in the US the warranty process is pretty amazing. I would start gathering parts for a brushless conversion though. JRC is a pretty good source for oem parts.

If you're in the US the warranty process is pretty amazing. I would start gathering parts for a brushless conversion though. JRC is a pretty good source for oem parts.
Do you have a recommendation of what parts would be good for a basic brushless setup? This is for my kids who are 6 and 9 which is why I didn't go brushless initially. But if this motor is going to blow all the time, might just do it anyways.

I would stick with oem and turn the throttle down.

Esc
Motor
Diffs x2
HD inputs
Slipper w/spur gear
Motor mount

When I added it all up on JRC it was about $150. You may had to buy in batches depending on stock.

I would stick with oem and turn the throttle down.

Esc
Motor
Diffs x2
HD inputs
Slipper w/spur gear
Motor mount

When I added it all up on JRC it was about $150. You may had to buy in batches depending on stock.
Thank you and thank you for the warranty info. Arrma has a new motor on its way already! But the brushless is a good idea for the boys to start saving up for and buying pieces as they can.

I thought about converting mine to brushless but you will spend nearly what the truck is worth. I decided to keep it brushed- motors are very reasonably priced (if they go bad) and now I can save my money for a truck that comes equipped brushless out of the box

An easy way to check any brushed motor is to hook the leads directly to the battery and see if it spins if it doesn't replace the motor.

Basic brushless setup can be had for cheap https://www.ebay.com/itm/3650-3100K...841363?hash=item2f4009b6d3:g:HOUAAOSwme9ecMmj. Need a program card like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Programmin...3&hash=item3b42cd120e:g:VOAAAOSwfF1eVon8#rwid to change settings (like low voltage cutoff if using lipo or nimh).

You don't need all the BLX parts and a full BLX drivetrain conversion although that would be best. Just a 17t HD input (AR310773) for the rear and you will be fine with a mild brushless setup like the one I linked above.

STIpM56.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back