Mega motor up in smoke new system needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim69782003

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. 4x4-Mega
I have the granite mega... The stock motor leaked out all its magic smoke today. So I'm in need of a new motor. I want to go brushless but worried about breaking the slipper parts and rear diff input shaft as well as other parts i see break a lot on these kind of upgrades...

I am working with a real tight budget at the moment so recommend me a good cheap system that would handle up to 3s power without tearing up my truck...too bad lol

May as well make a warranty claim. As for the new system? I don’t know tbh I am in the same boat
I don't have my receipt... And I don't see how its a warranty claim when it my fault the motor burnt up... Packed the motor module with wet snow while bashing last night... Forgot to dry it out before going to bed.... Plugged my battery in this morning and hit the trigger and water sucked up I to the motor shorting it out... And I didn't realize what happened until it was too late...

I don't have my receipt... And I don't see how its a warranty claim when it my fault the motor burnt up... Packed the motor module with wet snow while bashing last night... Forgot to dry it out before going to bed.... Plugged my battery in this morning and hit the trigger and water sucked up I to the motor shorting it out... And I didn't realize what happened until it was too late...
Yup just don't mention the snow.

As far as what to run and not break the slipper and stuff get something like this pick option B https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof...m:mYu4_hkt0EJsaVZjowXfliA:rk:94:pf:0&LH_BIN=1
Just as a warning the esc says waterproof but it is only splash proof. It's pretty easy to waterproof the esc, you can use silicone conformal coating, clear nail polish, liquid tape ect.

Thanks Slick2500, I was looking at this same motor ESC combo on Banngood... Is the motor waterproof? I get a lot of moisture here in the winter/spring.

Thanks Slick2500, I was looking at this same motor ESC combo on Banngood... Is the motor waterproof? I get a lot of moisture here in the winter/spring.
All brushed and non sensored brushless motors are "waterproof". If you get them wet a lot I would clean them with CRC QD Electronics cleaner and relube the bearings often.

Ok thanks for the info... One more question... The system you linked... Is it an unbranded Goolrc combo?

Ok thanks for the info... One more question... The system you linked... Is it an unbranded Goolrc combo?
Not sure who the OEM of this stuff is but Goolrc is one of the companies that sells them. It might be one of the OCDAY ones. I think on Banggood they are listed under Surpass Hobby. Either way they are all made by one manufacturer then sold under a bunch of different brands.

That pretty much sums it up then... Its on my watch list to purchase on Friday.

Called HH customer service department and am SOL... No receipt. So its definitely going brushless

I am working with a real tight budget at the moment so recommend me a good cheap system that would handle up to 3s power without tearing up my truck...too bad lol

If you don't want to do the BLX slipper and some form of a metal shaft diff input, you won't be able to run 3s. 2s and a mild brushless system, and you should be mostly OK. But still, I'd say start watching JRC and the other kit breakers, and grab a BLX slipper and motor mount the first time you see them (they sell out quick). Then head to Tower or Amain and get the 17t HD input. You really only need one, for the rear.

If you don't want to do the BLX slipper and some form of a metal shaft diff input, you won't be able to run 3s. 2s and a mild brushless system, and you should be mostly OK. But still, I'd say start watching JRC and the other kit breakers, and grab a BLX slipper and motor mount the first time you see them (they sell out quick). Then head to Tower or Amain and get the 17t HD input. You really only need one, for the rear.
I'm thinking 3s wool be a ways away... Right now I am using stock 7 cell hump NiHm batteries...

Then head to Tower or Amain and get the 17t HD input. You really only need one, for the rear.
What’s the difference between the 13T and 17T? I bought the 13T off Jenny’s, I assumed it was the right one?

Edit-Nevermind I looked it up. 17T is for the Mega diff and 13T is for the BLX diff. I ordered the diffs too.

Im going to see if my lhs has the 17t in stock...

What’s the difference between the 13T and 17T? I bought the 13T off Jenny’s, I assumed it was the right one?

Edit-Nevermind I looked it up. 17T is for the Mega diff and 13T is for the BLX diff. I ordered the diffs too.
Late to the party, but you got it.

Mega diffs have smaller teeth, BLX bigger teeth. They both have about the same overall ratio, though.
BLX - 13t/37t - 2.84
Mega 17t/49t - 2.88

Here is the HD 17t input -
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGWZB&P=ML

I'm thinking 3s wool be a ways away... Right now I am using stock 7 cell hump NiHm batteries...

Sticking to the 7c Nimh packs will reduce stress on the driveline a bit too. Battery has less amps available, so the motor can't make as much torque. "Fresh off the charger" you won't notice much a difference between the 7-c Nimh and a 2s lipo. The difference is at 2 minutes in, and 10 minutes in. The Nimh will start to go a bit soft pretty quickly into the run, and by 5-7 minutes in, be noticeably slower... The lipo will feel fresh until just before LVC kicks in.

So will the stock MEGA slipper hold up to the brushless system long enough to get a blx slipper assembly while running the 7 cell NiHim batteries? Or should I wait until I get the upgraded slipper before I run the BL motor?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back