SOLD / FOUND Mega or 3s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly get the 3S. Save you lots of money. The extra 80 bucks gets you a couple hundred or more in better parts that won't explode. I dunno about limiting things. There's a 50 / 75 / 100 percent throttle selector on the remote thingy. Or maybe lesser batteries to start out? Would that work?

Anyways, just saying because my 550 mega granite has lots of problems I would not have had with the 3S and the cost of upgrading it to a 3S basically is a fair bit. I strongly recommend spending the extra up front. You'll have fewer problems and end up enjoying it more.
Honestly get the 3S. Save you lots of money. The extra 80 bucks gets you a couple hundred or more in better parts that won't explode. I dunno about limiting things. There's a 50 / 75 / 100 percent throttle selector on the remote thingy. Or maybe lesser batteries to start out? Would that work?

Anyways, just saying because my 550 mega granite has lots of problems I would not have had with the 3S and the cost of upgrading it to a 3S basically is a fair bit. I strongly recommend spending the extra up front. You'll have fewer problems and end up enjoying it more.
Unless you're right into fixing and upgrading? Which I am doing with my son who is 13 now. A 6 year old might not have as much interest or patience in that but I don't know. I just think you'll have more problem free enjoyment with the higher tier model between Mega and 3S

She is going to wreck things....likely drivetrain included. The upgrades over time I'm not worried about since I'll have to fix our anyways lol

The drive train: motor, differentials and spur gear/clutch are vastly superior in the 3S. The stock mega we got detonated the transmission and motor in 2 days. I am just putting that out there: for the 80 bucks you get a motor you can actually service, tougher differentials, tougher transmission. Trust me. Go with the 3S if only for the brushless motor. Brushed motors are terrible. Just maybe start with 2S batteries at first that will keep it slower than a 3S battery and you can limit the throttle a bit on the remote. Or you can do what we're doing and kill then upgrade the Mega? But I wish we had known how much better the components of the 3S beyond the motor were (as if that was not a good enough reason) before we bought.

Get 3s truck and run only 2s and stick with the cheap stx2 radio and leave it on 50%/75% throttle limiter. It should have similar performance as a 2s brushed mega with the throttle limiter on and only 2s power. Then you can bump it up as she gets more comfortable. Imo this is a better plan vs. spending 150+ to upgrade a mega to brushless properly later.

Get the 3S anyways. There are more differences than just the motor and ESC. You get adjustable turnbuckles, better inputs and diffs, better slipper, better wheels, etc. All that costs way more than $70. I bought my granddaughter the Senton 3S, put a Tactic in it, gave her a 2S lipo, and turned the throttle expo way down. She is actually getting really good at throttle control. I took the expo back to 100% this week and she did fine. She did a few donuts and squealed.

Get the 3S anyways. There are more differences than just the motor and ESC. You get adjustable turnbuckles, better inputs and diffs, better slipper, better wheels, etc. All that costs way more than $70. I bought my granddaughter the Senton 3S, put a Tactic in it, gave her a 2S lipo, and turned the throttle expo way down. She is actually getting really good at throttle control. I took the expo back to 100% this week and she did fine. She did a few donuts and squealed.
Wait. Donuts and squealing are bad???

Yes. Yes they are.

Source: regret filled Mega owner ?

Trying... the missus isn't exactly excited about the initial price lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back