Mega or BLX Fury

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengelen

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Complete newbie on RC racing, there is a new racetrack in my town for 1/10 offroad racing (seems to be some kind of carpet) - http://www.rc-cz.be/

There is a class for Short course trucks. And the Arrma Fury really got my attention.

My question is should i get the mega or directly invest in the BLX version? My guess is better invest the money in 2S Lipo and better tires suited for the underground...

You're advice will be much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Ben

@bengelen first off, welcome to Arrma Forum!

As for getting a Mega or BLX Arrma Fury. If you've got the extra money I'd jump right into the BLX. The better and faster electronics (ESC, motor, & servo) is well worth the extra price. If you're new to RC then you could stick with a NiMh battery and as you get more comfortable with it start moving to LiPo which will REALLY wake up the Fury.

Keep us posted on what you decide to buy and good luck racing.

Hi @bengelen!

My advice will a bit different ;)
The carpet they made the off-road track out of, is basically the same artificial grass they use for hockey and soccer fields nowadays.

The benefits are:
  • Better traction
  • Easier maintenance
  • More unified traction conditions
  • Much better drainage, so you will have a dry track more often
The disadvantages:
  • You need special tires
  • Faster wear of the tires
  • More unified traction conditions
What I advise you to do is to contact your track, and ask what the regulations are.

Some tracks have a 2WD SCT stock class, where only brushed motors are allowed -> MEGA

Or there is an open 2WD stock class -> MEGA, or 2WD SCT modified class -> BLX

That said, the BLX has more upgrades besides the brushless motor and controller.
But it is something to consider before purchase.

And another thing to consider is that the Fury is capable of being compatible on a race track, but very few upgrades are available.

Check out our affordable shocks topic for example.

If you are running on an Astro track, then the best info that I can give you regarding wheels/tyres is this. Pick yourself up a set of 12-17mm hex adaptors,then pick up a set of 1/8th scale buggy wheels with Proline Crimefighter tyres, as these are excellent for this kind of surface.

DSCN0831_zpslaw9hl2x.jpg

DSCN0830_zpslqgwjy3v.jpg

Take it for what it's worth..... But I bought the Mega Raider, and within a few weeks bought a 7 cell 8.4 Nimh. Then I went to RC Gear shop brushless motor setup a few weeks later. And as soon as I save a few bucks to spend on a charger and Lipo's I will be there too. So yeah..... Start with the BLX, cause one way or another you will get there eventually!

If you are running on an Astro track, then the best info that I can give you regarding wheels/tyres is this. Pick yourself up a set of 12-17mm hex adaptors,then pick up a set of 1/8th scale buggy wheels with Proline Crimefighter tyres, as these are excellent for this kind of surface.

I'd be surprised if a track would allow a SCT to race using eBuggy wheels / tires but every track has its own rules.

Depending on classes available to choose from at your track (and your budget) I'd lean towards the BLX. Yeah, it has the brushless setup which you'll more than likely end up at sooner or later but the things that would clinch the decision for me are all the other upgrades the BLX has over the Mega. Things like aluminum chassis plates, metal geared differential, and metal geared steering servo.

Personally,I race on a 1/8th Astro covered track,so I just used the wheels/tyres from my Kyosho Inferno 1/8th nitro buggy,with no questions asked. As you said though,a lot will depend on the track rules. There is no difference in diameter between the 1/8th buggy tyre and the 1/10th SCT tyre, so there is no advantage to be gained in that respect.(111mm)

There is no difference in diameter between the 1/8th buggy tyre and the 1/10th SCT tyre, so there is no advantage to be gained in that respect.(111mm)

Maybe the OD of each is the same but the sidewall is completely different. A SCT tire is going to exhibit a lot more flex during cornering which would give a huge advantage to the buggy tire. For bashing, I say got for it if you're cool with the low-profile tire look on an SCT. If you're intent is to race check with the RD or track rules to see if they allow buggy tires in the SCT class. Never hurts to check. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back