Granite Mega upgrade to brushless. I don't need to upgrade my servo do I??? Stock one should work? I am noob

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Frankenstein 3S
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite
  4. Typhon 3s
Am I dumb? Are servos all brushless? Does it matter if the esc gets changed or am I good? I just imagine a brushed esc gives DC and a brushless AC or am I totally out to lunch? Will a brushless esc still work the servo presuming I set it at 6V or whatever?

Servos differ only in signal type (analog vs digital) and type of motor in them (cored, coreless, brushless), but all servos are powered the same off Ch1 of your receiver so you don't have to change the servo if you switch to a brushless motor and esc.

At least your honest. There is no dumb question except the one you don't ask.
All Steering servos can work with all other electronics 99% of the time. Most are fine with 6.v and 7.v. Brushed motors are DC (direct current with 2 wires + and -) driven. Brushless motors are AC driven. Alternating current across 3 phase wires. Brushed ESC's provide DC and Brushless ESC's provide AC to their respective motors. And Not interchangeable with the exception of one model produced by one ESC company that can run either BLX or Brushed.
Your question regarding "are servos all brushless?", servos have their own small motors. Some are brushed and some better ones are brushless. Both types of servos work will all receivers and ESC's. The brushless servos convert 6-7volts from the ESC/Reciever to AC internally. No user input needed. Just Plug and play like all servos are. Hope this helps.
:cool:

You should be fine with your servo as others noted.

I just want to add that a small percentage of vehicles use a servo with 5 wires instead of 3. This is because the 5 wire servo does not have a control board. The extra wires carry control signal from the receiver. An example is the Arrmma Voltage line.

Servos differ only in signal type (analog vs digital) and type of motor in them (cored, coreless, brushless), but all servos are powered the same off Ch1 of your receiver so you don't have to change the servo if you switch to a brushless motor and esc.
Okay thanks. Little bit of panic there. I have made so many errors right from the beginning I was just thinking: oh great, can I be walking into another quagmire blindfolded? Waiting for bits and continuing to educate myself after already spending money is hurting. Much regret. Not that there isn't will to make my truck great again just apprehension and. . . Waiting. . .

Baby steps.... it will all click soon enough. Don't over think it. Its a great hobby to enjoy.

The others addressed the question asked (yes your servo will work, you don't NEED to upgrade it)

But there is a part B to this question - Should you upgrade?

The stock Mega servo is a plastic gear servo with 5kg torque. Decent speed, but not very strong, and the plastic gears are not strong. When you upgrade to brushless, you tires will be spinning faster, which will mean you servo will need more torque to still turn the wheels quickly.

I started wit ha Granite Mega, and upgraded to Brushless. Even when brushed, I could tell the servo was struggling, and after brushless the steering was even more muddy. Still, I ran the stock servo for almost a year - and it never died. But, the gears did wear bad, and the servo developed a lot of slop. I replaced it with a metal gear, fast servo than makes about 12kg, and wow, a big difference. I was kicking myself for running that stock servo for so long...

Here is a inexpensive servo from Amazon. I recently bought one, but have not installed it in anything. at 25kg of torque, this will be good for pretty much any Arrma other than the 8s trucks. .13s speed is pretty good to.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SFKVDW2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The others addressed the question asked (yes your servo will work, you don't NEED to upgrade it)

But there is a part B to this question - Should you upgrade?

The stock Mega servo is a plastic gear servo with 5kg torque. Decent speed, but not very strong, and the plastic gears are not strong. When you upgrade to brushless, you tires will be spinning faster, which will mean you servo will need more torque to still turn the wheels quickly.

I started wit ha Granite Mega, and upgraded to Brushless. Even when brushed, I could tell the servo was struggling, and after brushless the steering was even more muddy. Still, I ran the stock servo for almost a year - and it never died. But, the gears did wear bad, and the servo developed a lot of slop. I replaced it with a metal gear, fast servo than makes about 12kg, and wow, a big difference. I was kicking myself for running that stock servo for so long...

Here is a inexpensive servo from Amazon. I recently bought one, but have not installed it in anything. at 25kg of torque, this will be good for pretty much any Arrma other than the 8s trucks. .13s speed is pretty good to.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SFKVDW2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dooood. We just test run this thing and it is an eye opener. It's stupid fast. We can barely get to hundo throttle before we run out of room. Started searching for bigger runways.

Just put in a xerun max10 sct + 3660 3200kv with 20T pinion and 57T spur running on 2S 50c and it is just m. . . Stupid.

Some huge crashes: somersaults, cartwheels this Truck still working. Fun.

Steering: yes. We need some more steering.
Dooood. We just test run this thing and it is an eye opener. It's stupid fast. We can barely get to hundo throttle before we run out of room. Started searching for bigger runways.

Just put in a xerun max10 sct + 3660 3200kv with 20T pinion and 57T spur running on 2S 50c and it is just m. . . Stupid.

Some huge crashes: somersaults, cartwheels this Truck still working. Fun.

Steering: yes. We need some more steering.
Too much motor, not enough brains.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back