Megasty's Kraton 8s Mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over an hr of straight running & it feels perfect. Now just give me some arms since the stock arms make me want to break them ?

That thing SHREDS!!! ☠️
The best part was when you just threw the temp gun like I don’t even need this thing! ???

That thing SHREDS!!! ☠
The best part was when you just threw the temp gun like I don’t even need this thing! ???
That motor is as temperamental as a cat. It hated my 5t & DBXL with a passion & destroyed my X-Maxx. Yet it loves the K8S. I'm thinking it might explode if I take it out :eek:

I seen enough of that thing's bad side to want the evil kitty instead :ROFLMAO: But I will leave it in as long as it's ripping like this.

At least being sick long enough can give me time to think through some difficulties. This time I fixed the front rod end/Ackermann stuff. I'll go over the mud guards later:

I thought I had to wait until May but I found a receiver box, one of the last on Amazon sold by Horizon. They were gone the same day I ordered it. But now I get to throw another slab of beef at this monster. I think this Primal RC PM1373 70kg servo will be more than fit to do the job. I might as well try out this cheap DUMBORC-X6 that showed up on Amazon as well. I put some foam on the wheel from a busted Tactic. I also looked at the shock towers & steering set from GPM. They looked very reasonable for 6061 but the 2-3 months from China thing going on now is a real turnoff.

0329200538.jpg

I thought I had to wait until May but I found a receiver box, one of the last on Amazon sold by Horizon. They were gone the same day I ordered it. But now I get to throw another slab of beef at this monster. I think this Primal RC PM1373 70kg servo will be more than fit to do the job. I might as well try out this cheap DUMBORC-X6 that showed up on Amazon as well. I put some foam on the wheel from a busted Tactic. I also looked at the shock towers & steering set from GPM. They looked very reasonable for 6061 but the 2-3 months from China thing going on now is a real turnoff.

View attachment 72086

971oz please let us know how you like it.(y)

971oz please let us know how you like it.(y)
The PM1373 is a much faster version of THIS which I have in my DBXL-e. I run it on 7.4v so it's fast enough: 0.16sec/60 Degree @ 7.4v (70kg) . The PM1373 is 0.13sec/60 Degree @ 7.4v (73kg) which is insane. If it doesn't blow up out the gate it should be awesome.

OK, I finally got everything in & the servo is a monster. I love that the dumbo rx comes with the gyro OFF by default, who needs that junk. Anyway, the servo is super fast for a 1/5 servo. Most I have are so slow it's pathetic but they are designed to handle big weight. This monster can easily turn the stock tires on thick carpet. The only problem is that it has EVERYTHING not metal flexing, from the crappy servo saver to the upper hinge plate, steering posts, Ackermann, servo link . . . the only parts not flexing are the bulkhead & shock tower. I don't see the stock steering posts lasting too long at all. I even went as far as to stand on the 2 front tires so they couldn't move & the beast servo still actuated :eek:. But that's how I saw just how much the steering posts were flexing. The servo saver hardly gave at all & was trying to make the Ackermann rip off the steering posts. I probably ruined them but they aren't broken, yet. I think I'll try the GPM parts. I have a strange feeling they'll soon have the whole truck cranked out in their cheap aluminum just like the 6s, not that I'll buy all that junk.

I made a multi-part mount, similar to the 6s mounts I made, but it has separate pieces for the bottom that connects to the chassis. It's thicker more flexible plastic. The main part is double layer slightly stiffer plastic. Then there's a top piece that the wing & wheelie bar attaches to. I went with multiple pieces for degrees of separation when it comes to flexing. I didn't need the whole thing to flex if the wing or wheelie bar took a hit. The top piece could even rip off & not wreck the whole thing. The wing can still flex 70-80 degrees without moving the whole mount. The whole mount will flex if the wing is at 90 degrees.

0406201004b.jpg

0406201005.jpg

0406201005a.jpg

0406201006.jpg

0406201006a.jpg

0406201007.jpg

I actually feel comfortable with the thing doing doughnuts a few feet away from me:

. . . & I actually wrecked the rear diff ? I knew I had it in me :ROFLMAO: But it was just the spider gears :rolleyes:

I've been playing around with that silly firma smart ESC, its default gimp mode, its unlocked mode via BT & all the settings with the motors from my SRR, SBR, 2028, & HW 56113. The Rey cans are both 5687 but are 800kv & 1200kv. They both can handle 8s, but the 1200kv seems to max out at a 27t pinion b4 cogging & the 800kv can easily take a 34t, but the former has more acceleration & top end. The ESC can handle both motors no problem & are a blast in the Kraton. I think the 1200kv/27t setup is the best I've tried out of the 4 motors. The surprise was that that ESC could also handle both the 2028 & 56113 with the 34t pinion, no cogging, no nothing. I don't know about long term, but it definitely impressed me to the point to where I'm thinking it's not just another lame max6. It might actually be smart enough to deliver the power the big cans need w/o frying itself . . . OR I might of got a really good one. Only time will tell. I also wired up my max5 & there was no noticeable difference in performance with the 4 motors (& yes I did put 6.5mm bullets on the 2028). The SBR 1200kv motor still cogged on anything higher than a 27t with the max5. I'm also calling BS with that motor not being able to run 8s. It was so much fun that I ran ALL the matched 4s batteries I could find. 6 runs later, hitting LVC each time, on the 27t pinion with no motor fan, the temps were still in the 130s. C'mon Losi, stop underrating your stuff & put this motor in the V2 while you're at it.
I've been playing around with that silly firma smart ESC, its default gimp mode, its unlocked mode via BT & all the settings with the motors from my SRR, SBR, 2028, & HW 56113. The Rey cans are both 5687 but are 800kv & 1200kv. They both can handle 8s, but the 1200kv seems to max out at a 27t pinion b4 cogging & the 800kv can easily take a 34t, but the former has more acceleration & top end. The ESC can handle both motors no problem & are a blast in the Kraton. I think the 1200kv/27t setup is the best I've tried out of the 4 motors. The surprise was that that ESC could also handle both the 2028 & 56113 with the 34t pinion, no cogging, no nothing. I don't know about long term, but it definitely impressed me to the point to where I'm thinking it's not just another lame max6. It might actually be smart enough to deliver the power the big cans need w/o frying itself . . . OR I might of got a really good one. Only time will tell. I also wired up my max5 & there was no noticeable difference in performance with the 4 motors (& yes I did put 6.5mm bullets on the 2028). The SBR 1200kv motor still cogged on anything higher than a 27t with the max5. I'm also calling BS with that motor not being able to run 8s. It was so much fun that I ran ALL the matched 4s batteries I could find. 6 runs later, hitting LVC each time, on the 27t pinion with no motor fan, the temps were still in the 130s. C'mon Losi, stop underrating your stuff & put this motor in the V2 while you're at it.
I have a 8s with spektrum 780kv motor using stock esc. With a 39t and 44t pinions. The 39t is currently on it and the 44t seemed better. I also bought a dx5c smart to get the full experience of the smart technology. And im starting to regret it. Many problems with Binding and calibrating. My LHS guys are great but this is all new to them as well. I feel it's good on binding and calibration. AVC is off at the receiver. Using new zeee 9000mah 100c batts. Every time I adjust and play with it it does get better but my problem is the thing is such a dog off the line it won't even do a burner in the dirt from a dead stop. After about 5 feet that just unwinds and goes like a bat out of hell. Top speed on the road with 44t pinion is 63 mph and about 55 in the grass. I would love this truck if I could just have some take off on the line. I do have the program box for it and the $30 cable to hook up to my laptop as well. I'm old school and not to tech savvy so needless to say the truck is at my LHS. And I showed them what you wrote here about this ESC. Can you please throw any light on this subject as I do not really want to spend the 400 plus dollars on a castle system. Horizon Hobby assured me that esc should pump that motor with no problem because that is what is in the dbxle. And I really can't see the gearing being off between the two trucks where it would do that off the line. I am new to the Forum and appreciate all the help from everyone and how everyone posts what they find. for people like me it's saves me money with trial and error and I thank you all and wish you all to be healthy and safe.

I have a 8s with spektrum 780kv motor using stock esc. With a 39t and 44t pinions. The 39t is currently on it and the 44t seemed better. I also bought a dx5c smart to get the full experience of the smart technology. And im starting to regret it. Many problems with Binding and calibrating. My LHS guys are great but this is all new to them as well. I feel it's good on binding and calibration. AVC is off at the receiver. Using new zeee 9000mah 100c batts. Every time I adjust and play with it it does get better but my problem is the thing is such a dog off the line it won't even do a burner in the dirt from a dead stop. After about 5 feet that just unwinds and goes like a bat out of hell. Top speed on the road with 44t pinion is 63 mph and about 55 in the grass. I would love this truck if I could just have some take off on the line. I do have the program box for it and the $30 cable to hook up to my laptop as well. I'm old school and not to tech savvy so needless to say the truck is at my LHS. And I showed them what you wrote here about this ESC. Can you please throw any light on this subject as I do not really want to spend the 400 plus dollars on a castle system. Horizon Hobby assured me that esc should pump that motor with no problem because that is what is in the dbxle. And I really can't see the gearing being off between the two trucks where it would do that off the line. I am new to the Forum and appreciate all the help from everyone and how everyone posts what they find. for people like me it's saves me money with trial and error and I thank you all and wish you all to be healthy and safe.
I had severe cogging issues off the line with the Dynamite Fuze 56114 780kv motor and that was with a Max5. I was running a 44t pinion. It was so bad that I pulled that motor and went with a HX 5687 1100kv motor and it rips right from the moment you pull the throttle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back