Granite Melted T-Plug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skrrt_bert

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
So I've had the granite mega for over a year now, love the thing when it runs but have just had so many problems, though I'm sure putting brushless in didn't help. Finally got the blx drivetrain in and it's a new truck! Haven't melted a spur gear or snapped an input shaft and it feels so gooood. Unfortunately I'm now running into electronics issues. Only ran nitros as a kid, this was my first electric so apologies for my noobness. I'll try to make it clear as I can.

Running Floureon 40c 6200mAh 2s batteries (truck has only been on 2s)
Gool 3800kv motor
OCday 60a ESC (same as the Gool ones, just already burnt up a couple of those)
15t 32p pinion
Had a great rip yesterday, went through two packs just hammering on it and it took it like a champ. It was a lovely gray Wyoming day today so I take it to the park, just doing some speed runs in the grass when the throttle tweaks out for just a second. I was bringing it to a stop and it just kept creeping forward, so I dialed the throttle trim back a touch and it was dead. No steering, no spinning, no ESC light. Tried to unplug the battery to carry it home and lo, that mafk was not going anywhere. I was able to (carefully) pry the T-plug/Deans connector apart, and it appears that only the female connector was slightly melted on one side, trapping one of the male pins.

So long story short, I have no idea what caused this and I sure don't want to do it again. The ESC seems fine, the one pin is a little dirty but didn't get scorched or anything--tried another battery and everything seemed to work fine. Is it still safe to run? Is the battery possibly damaged aside from the connector? Is it possible that adjusting TH trim messed with the crapola ESC, or was the creeping a sign that something already went wrong? I know everything I'm running is pretty cheap, but college isn't, so if I can put off buying a real power system for a while that'd be great.
Thanks y'all!

Cold solder joint coming undone? That would increase resistance and generate heat. Check if the connectors are soldered on toight!

Also, Deans are like so last decade ?

I agree that it definitely sounds like a bad solder joint somewhere. Do you have a multimeter? If so, you could start checking sections of wiring for higher than normal resistance.

Checked all the solders, they were fine. It seems to be a combination of a janky pin on the ESC and somewhat loose connectors on those batteries leading to a hotdog/hallway situation. When I was messing around with my other pack if I pressed the connectors together a certain way it would shut off, while my Venom pack which has much tighter connections didn't have that problem. So I'll definitely be dropping the damn Deans ? what do you recommend instead?

Checked all the solders, they were fine. It seems to be a combination of a janky pin on the ESC and somewhat loose connectors on those batteries leading to a hotdog/hallway situation. When I was messing around with my other pack if I pressed the connectors together a certain way it would shut off, while my Venom pack which has much tighter connections didn't have that problem. So I'll definitely be dropping the damn Deans ? what do you recommend instead?
Trust me when I tell you this, ditch the T plugs and get EC or XT connectors.
I have 2 of those Floureon 40c 6200mah 2S batteries for my Summit, I had nothing but problems with the T plugs that came with them.

Check this one out, tons of info.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...ypes-choosing-and-soldering.10224/post-111747

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back