Kraton Metal diff casings - difference?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamantium

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

In my modding quest i seem to have been buying things without necessarily thinking enough about them, that’s because I like to modify.

I’ve stockpiled loads of parts, mostly gpm/fastrax but now hot racing too. Am not going for ally arms as I need some give somewhere having bought gearbox housings, steering knuckles, hubs, rod ends, hinge pin supports, chassis braces, complete steering set up etc etc.

I’m now looking at the drivetrain and am concerned because I bought the arrma metal diff casing which seems to be in two parts. Hot racing and all the other brands do a one part ally diff casing. Why is this?

is there a difference between them, should I go with one over the others? Am thinking hot racing due to the quality.

final question, do all three diffs have the same casing?

I can still send the two piece arrma one back of I need to, just not sure if I should. please help!

Hi all,

In my modding quest i seem to have been buying things without necessarily thinking enough about them, that’s because I like to modify.

I’ve stockpiled loads of parts, mostly gpm/fastrax but now hot racing too. Am not going for ally arms as I need some give somewhere having bought gearbox housings, steering knuckles, hubs, rod ends, hinge pin supports, chassis braces, complete steering set up etc etc.

I’m now looking at the drivetrain and am concerned because I bought the arrma metal diff casing which seems to be in two parts. Hot racing and all the other brands do a one part ally diff casing. Why is this?

is there a difference between them, should I go with one over the others? Am thinking hot racing due to the quality.

I can still send the two piece arrma one back of I need to, just not sure if I should. please help!
Yes all three diffs are the same, I have heard bad things about the metal cases. I hear they leak, and to be honest you won't see it except for the center diff as they will be in the gearbox. To me they are a bit of a waste of money but to each their own. I have a full setup of all aluminium parts including arms and a JBI chassis. The only parts that are stock on my rig now are the dif cases and body mounts. Even my screws are aftermarket. GPM also offers cases and in different colours, I don't know how good they are. One thing with metal cases too is you will have to locktite the screws and if one backs out it will cause a ton of damage in the gearbox. Just my opinion.

Hi all,

Sounds like a solid build ?? I've literally just fitted F/R GPM alloy diff cups and they went in perfectly. The o-rings fit nice and snug under the shims because the slot for them is shallower than stock, and I threadlocked the diff screws so I have doubts they will leak any time soon

The stock plastic ones held up great for me for months, but the diff screws began to loosen often and the o-ring slot is deeper, so over time the oil just wasn't holding in well enough for me. Good shout on the arms - if the build is for bashing, it's best to leave them as plastic

If you've already got the one official diff case I would put that in the centre to show it off ? and use cheaper aftermarket alloy ones in the F/R, if you were keen to upgrade them. They will all fit for any of the 3 diffs ?

Last edited:
I think I’ve gone over board.

I’ve just cancelled the geabox housings, on balance i think I’ll save that mod for later.

I bought the arrma one for the centre diff but I think the hot racing item looks a better design - one piece, fewer bolts, lower leak potential.

Last edited:
Well I’ve changed my mind in that opinion too. It looks like the arrma upgraded diff casing is actually the better design because it is two piece. The reason being the dvd played, which take most of the strain, are steel rather than aluminium as in the cheaper competition.

I’ve now bought another two to make a complete set.

Hi all,

Look up Tekjo gaskets on ebay for your diffs too. They are thicker and seem to hold up better for me. All my rigs run those and he makes a gasket for the bottom side of the diff case to the chassis to help keep crap from getting in.

Hi all,

A really good upgrade to the centre dif, if put together properly it doesn't leak and is just as good as the hot racing stuff. I've got two they stop thing's like this happening to the centre cup. Not needed front or rear
IMG_20200610_181205_793.jpg

Im starting a build and am considering the arrma ones for all 3, my thinking is with a higher power system (4985) they would give better durability/heat management to the drivetrain ?‍♂️

Hi all,

I went custom build up mojave chasiss,M2C center an braces,complete hot racing at front an rear .way more solid sounding car I believe because of all larger bearings. Hot racing hubs all fore corners too. Turns an handles better then any RTR I've had.
0424202134_Film1.jpg

I think I’ve gone over board.

I’ve just cancelled the geabox housings, on balance i think I’ll save that mod for later.

I bought the arrma one for the centre diff but I think the hot racing item looks a better design - one piece, fewer bolts, lower leak potential.
I just put this together for my center diff and will probably give a it a run or two today. I’ll let you know how it goes. I had leakage outta my factory center diff right from the start. Hopefully this does the trick ??
5291A573-3F8B-4034-A1E8-A81B42CD4126.jpeg

I just put this together for my center diff and will probably give a it a run or two today. I’ll let you know how it goes. I had leakage outta my factory center diff right from the start. Hopefully this does the trick ??View attachment 88148
No leakage on the first 6s pack. I made sure to give the loctite 24hrs + to cure. That’s a good sign, I was getting traces of diff fluid every run on my stock center diff

I just put this together for my center diff and will probably give a it a run or two today. I’ll let you know how it goes. I had leakage outta my factory center diff right from the start. Hopefully this does the trick ??View attachment 88148
I to had a leaky C/ Diff straight out of the box after 20 runs i pulled it out ! Only to find that the screws were a little loose thats all ! Still had plenty of oil tho

Metal center diff case is a major improvement if you do lots of high speed driving in grass, dirt, etc. My stock plastic case nearly melted after a couple of packs.

Well I’ve changed my mind in that opinion too. It looks like the arrma upgraded diff casing is actually the better design because it is two piece. The reason being the dvd played, which take most of the strain, are steel rather than aluminium as in the cheaper competition.

I’ve now bought another two to make a complete set.
I have the HR diff bulkheads if that is what you are talking about and they are nice. Makes it easy to put the diffs back in and i felt the stock bulkheads were junk and caused flexing issues with heat and such. I got one HR metal diffs in the center and i have not seen leaking that i can tell.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back