Big Rock Metal Spur = Stripped Input Gear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirovingian

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
Hey peoples,

How goes it.

I've been having stripped input gear and diff case gear issues lately, from the back to the front.

I understand that too tight of a slipper clutch can do that, but any looser than that and the slipper just comes off with driving.

I had recently fixed a steel HR spur for durability. Could it be it causing this issue due to being heavier?

Yeah I do some jumps, but nothing more than a foot or two.

Can't get the HR steel crown gears, diff cases and input gears yet as they're out of stock.

Still though, any pointers about what can be consistently causing it, and how to avoid it from happening so frequently? Didn't have this problem until the motor blew a couple of weeks back. Since then, it's been one thing or another.

Thank you all for the help.

Others have mentioned the yokes flexing too much. You have a bigrock though and I am used to the granite stuff. I believe the brcc and granite share alot of the same parts to include the diff areas.

They all appear to be in-stock according to ebay.

You might get away for now with getting the yokes first.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing...469575&hash=item3da1888b66:g:aeUAAOSw~BRcJmb-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing...405858&hash=item3d985053e4:g:gEMAAOSwm6xd3q3b
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing...978715?hash=item1f068e5a5b:g:uAkAAOSwiX1d6zUY

I upgraded all these parts with the steel spur as well.

Others have mentioned the yokes flexing too much. You have a bigrock though and I am used to the granite stuff. I believe the brcc and granite share alot of the same parts to include the diff areas.

They all appear to be in-stock according to ebay.

You might get away for now with getting the yokes first.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing...469575&hash=item3da1888b66:g:aeUAAOSw~BRcJmb-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing...405858&hash=item3d985053e4:g:gEMAAOSwm6xd3q3b
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing...978715?hash=item1f068e5a5b:g:uAkAAOSwiX1d6zUY

I upgraded all these parts with the steel spur as well.
Thanks man.

They're on ebay but they'll take forever to reach me here internationally.

I usually get em from online stores as they ship em through courier companies.

The metal yokes are on the way from Rcplanet. The Crown gear and other stuff though, I've backordered.

Still strange though, as I didn't have this issue for quite some time when I ran the car stock.

How are your bearings? If they have any give they will eat diffs too. The yokes hold the bearings, so if either have give, diffs are shredded. And what holds the yokes, the chassis and towers. Check them for fine cracks. What holds the towers to the chassis, the long M4 bolts. Make sure they are snug and not stripped. Go thru the whole line and you will find the culprit. ??

How are your bearings? If they have any give they will eat diffs too. The yokes hold the bearings, so if either have give, diffs are shredded. And what holds the yokes, the chassis and towers. Check them for fine cracks. What holds the towers to the chassis, the long M4 bolts. Make sure they are snug and not stripped. Go thru the whole line and you will find the culprit. ??

Thanks dude.

I'm very ocd when it comes to bearings. They're brand new and all oiled up too.

Gonna run through the whole thing as you mentioned, and hopefully find somehtin....Can't seem to get around sorting it out so far.

Thanks dude.

I'm very ocd when it comes to bearings. They're brand new and all oiled up too.

Gonna run through the whole thing as you mentioned, and hopefully find somehtin....Can't seem to get around sorting it out so far.
If you can’t figure it out, it’s probably the yokes. They warp really easily and you might not be able to see the issue. The HR yokes should solve it.

And I also wanted to make sure you didn’t over-tighten the yoke screws before. If they were stripped and have a 0.1mm I’d give that will also allow the gear to move just enough.

If you can’t figure it out, it’s probably the yokes. They warp really easily and you might not be able to see the issue. The HR yokes should solve it.

And I also wanted to make sure you didn’t over-tighten the yoke screws before. If they were stripped and have a 0.1mm I’d give that will also allow the gear to move just enough.
You're probably right, cause it didn't happen when the truck ran new.

It probably wore down enough now to cause this issue.

The worst part is, I'm enjoying opening up and working on the rig though it's mostly been wrench time most of the time ? that's car guys for ya.

+1 on it being the yokes , unless your jumping and landing on the throttle also what is your punch level at

+1 on it being the yokes , unless your jumping and landing on the throttle also what is your punch level at
Ey man, yeah I've watched enough vids and read enough posts to know to keep off the throttle when landing.

It's on level 5, and I recently switched out the STX2 for a Tactic TTX300. Throttle just takes off with that.

You said you just upgraded to the metal spur "For Durability" - were you stripping the plastic spur? If yes, you fixed the weak link. Now stress is passed to the next weak link. Which for your truck, is the diff input. :) :(
The plastic spur got stripped once, and that was when the motor blew up.

I thought upgrading it to a metal one would put an end to it there.

Think I should go back to the plastic spur to go along with the plastic input gears?

The plastic spur got stripped once, and that was when the motor blew up.

I thought upgrading it to a metal one would put an end to it there.

Think I should go back to the plastic spur to go along with the plastic input gears?
Meh I’ve stripped the steel spur when my motor came loose too ???‍♂️

Hey peoples,

How goes it.

I've been having stripped input gear and diff case gear issues lately, from the back to the front.

I understand that too tight of a slipper clutch can do that, but any looser than that and the slipper just comes off with driving.

I had recently fixed a steel HR spur for durability. Could it be it causing this issue due to being heavier?

Yeah I do some jumps, but nothing more than a foot or two.

Can't get the HR steel crown gears, diff cases and input gears yet as they're out of stock.

Still though, any pointers about what can be consistently causing it, and how to avoid it from happening so frequently? Didn't have this problem until the motor blew a couple of weeks back. Since then, it's been one thing or another.

Thank you all for the help.
if u run a hr steel spur u have to run the extra hard pinon. did u do this?

Meh I’ve stripped the steel spur when my motor came loose too ???‍♂️

Any more stripping, and I'll have to start throwing loose change on this thing...!?
if u run a hr steel spur u have to run the extra hard pinon. did u do this?
No man, I'm running the standard 0.8 15T that comes with the thing.

How does that affect the input gears though?

Any more stripping, and I'll have to start throwing loose change on this thing...!?

No man, I'm running the standard 0.8 15T that comes with the thing.

How does that affect the input gears though?
I am constantly making it rain on these hoes...

By hoes I mean Arrmas ???

u still have to run a extra hard pinon with a steel hr spur no matter if its 32p or 48 p. not sure on the input

I am constantly making it rain on these hoes...

By hoes I mean Arrmas ???
Well there are hoes in this equation, but I doubt it's the Arrmas man I'll tell ya that much ?

They sure got us by the ball-bearings! ?
u still have to run a extra hard pinon with a steel hr spur no matter if its 32p or 48 p. not sure on the input
Which mod would that be man?

Would appreciate a link to it.

Well there are hoes in this equation, but I doubt it's the Arrmas man I'll tell ya that much ?

They sure got us by the ball-bearings! ?

Which mod would that be man?

Would appreciate a link to it.
1587579167637.png

Your better of biting the bullet and upgrading to an all metal gear train. Since you have the metal spur minus we'll go for metal crown and input gear. It will spare you from ever stripping the diff gears again which is worth it. Also make sure you have the right amount of slipper pads (4) on the metal spur gear.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back