minimizing ballooning: taping or fishing line?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truevine

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
My kraton blx ver 2 stock tires blew apart on 4s and 16T. I've ordered some dboots backflips and I'd like to prevent the ballooning. Anyone has experience or constructive opinions on inner taping vs out fishing line gluing? Seems like the fishing line is a less intrusive and easier solution - but is it effective?

Also does drilling vent holes in the tire to expel water make sense? Does it damage the tires? Is there a less destructive way to get water out?

My kraton blx ver 2 stock tires blew apart on 4s and 16T. I've ordered some dboots backflips and I'd like to prevent the ballooning. Anyone has experience or constructive opinions on inner taping vs out fishing line gluing? Seems like the fishing line is a less intrusive and easier solution - but is it effective?

Also does drilling vent holes in the tire to expel water make sense? Does it damage the tires? Is there a less destructive way to get water out?
Truevine I've been running Backflips for some time on Outcast and Kraton. Great tires!!! I haven't had horrible ballooning issues. Mostly because I run 100k center diff on Outcast and 200k on Kraton, both with 50k upfront. As more rain started hitting my area, I finally vented my tires with 1/8" holes 2 per tire 180° apart. I covered rim holes with Gorilla tape. There's a thread here on ways to do it. I used the brass tubing method to drill small holes, worked OK but worked better on my Proline 3.8s different compound I guess. My tires/foams have stayed dry as the water/dirt would fling out with rotational forces. You can burn holes with a pencil tip soldering iron too if careful not too damage foams. The advantage of venting is you don't suck dirt, water, and sand into rim holes when covered, keeps wheels balanced. Must have air escape though with tire vents. I'm happy with mine and very glad I did it. Think venting also helps prevent ballooning some. Your going to love the Backflips!!!

Thanks Rich! Looks like you don't have to take or use fishing line. Kraton is my first truck so I haven't touched the diffs. I'll have to watch some vids. But I've taped my tires and tried gluing them to get some use out of them until the backflips arrive. I wonder if the fishing line works better.

Truevine I've been running Backflips for some time on Outcast and Kraton. Great tires!!! I haven't had horrible ballooning issues. Mostly because I run 100k center diff on Outcast and 200k on Kraton, both with 50k upfront. As more rain started hitting my area, I finally vented my tires with 1/8" holes 2 per tire 180° apart. I covered rim holes with Gorilla tape. There's a thread here on ways to do it. I used the brass tubing method to drill small holes, worked OK but worked better on my Proline 3.8s different compound I guess. My tires/foams have stayed dry as the water/dirt would fling out with rotational forces. You can burn holes with a pencil tip soldering iron too if careful not too damage foams. The advantage of venting is you don't suck dirt, water, and sand into rim holes when covered, keeps wheels balanced. Must have air escape though with tire vents. I'm happy with mine and very glad I did it. Think venting also helps prevent ballooning some. Your going to love the Backflips!!!
Thanks Rich! Looks like you don't have to take or use fishing line. Kraton is my first truck so I haven't touched the diffs. I'll have to watch some vids. But I've taped my tires and tried gluing them to get some use out of them until the backflips arrive. I wonder if the fishing line works better.
No problem. I've never tried fishing line. I use 2" Gorilla tape for other tires, I've heard Backflip tires won't take tape from YouTube buddy that tried it. Watching vids helps usually, I'd recommend you really heat 3 motor mount screws with very hot soldering iron from under chassis prior to removing center diff/motor or you may strip them. Should smell threadlocker burning. Other 2 screws rest in plastic diff brace, don't heat those or plastic may melt. Heavier fluid will control ballooning for sure to the fronts. Good luck. I've liked 200k in center, but will wheely a bit easier.

No pr
Really detailed advice - thanks man.
No problem. I stripped Kraton screw first removal, had to drill screw out into motor mount, total PITA, just don't want you to have to experience that. That was brand new Kraton, hadn't ran once yet, very frustrating!!! Great rig once it's dialed in to your liking.

You persevered and dialed it to you liking! Thanks again for sharing your hard learned lesson here. My PITA is that all three of my adapters from deans to xt90 has fizzled and stopped working. I've always used deans for my 4s airplanes and 6s EC5 for my bigger planes and edf jets.

You persevered and dialed it to you liking! Thanks again for sharing your hard learned lesson here. My PITA is that all three of my adapters from deans to xt90 has fizzled and stopped working. I've always used deans for my 4s airplanes and 6s EC5 for my bigger planes and edf jets.
That sucks. I only run EC5 single ESC connector to single EC5 6s hardcase brick, 4300mah 40-80c SMC. Got rid of dual pack extra connector. Less wire, less connectors = less resistance in my book. Also run 4s 5000mah 50c hardpacks with EC5 when street testing and kids are bashing.

Don't be scared of the differentials man. I would suggest an electric screw driver, and good hex bits if you are going to do all 3. At the minimum, a nice hand held bit driver. The YOUTUBE video for bullet proofing the diff is perfect. I was able to do the rear and center diffs after doing the front diff while watching the video. Don't over fill the diffs with fluid, I learned you need room for it to expand.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, I was afraid of screwing things up. Especially since it is working fine, to me, right now.

Yeah I really only did mine because I had won a complete set of bearings, in a raffle, and I was waiting for a servo mount and new servo. I only did it because the car was going to be on the shelf for a while anyway. Still don't have my GKA MOUNT, customs must be really worried I'm going to weaponize my Kraton. Maybe I could use it to run goods back and forth over the border.

Just got my backflips today. What do you have to do to get them to fit the Kraton. Their rims have a stopper that prevents the axle from protuding out enough to screw on the nut.

Just got my backflips today. What do you have to do to get them to fit the Kraton. Their rims have a stopper that prevents the axle from protuding out enough to screw on the nut.
For some reason the Backflips come with a slightly smaller wheel hole. I had to debur mine a bit to actually fit right using a round file. Others used a Dremel or drill bit, or sand paper wrapped on a pencil.

That makes sense. I should have used a reamer I have. Backflips perform better than the stock tires. I just ordered a SRC Terrain Crushers. Have you used those yet?

That makes sense. I should have used a reamer I have. Backflips perform better than the stock tires. I just ordered a SRC Terrain Crushers. Have you used those yet?
Funny you should ask, just did brief street test last night, very impressed on road. Testing more hopefully after work today. This is my son's Outcast build project.
IMG_20170211_213602008.jpg

Those Terrain Crushers are awesome wheels and tires. Lots of road traction, and still grippy enough on the dirt. Still not going to be the best for big air at the skate park, but for small jumps and stuff are just fine.

Those Terrain Crushers are awesome wheels and tires. Lots of road traction, and still grippy enough on the dirt. Still not going to be the best for big air at the skate park, but for small jumps and stuff are just fine.
I fully agree. Would not want to really launch these wheels too high, need more sidewall and tire cushion for big stuff, especially for bad landings/rolls on wheel edges.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back