Minimum C Rating Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajdragon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
Hi

How do you guys figure out what the Minimum C Rating should be for your systems, if the Motor and ESC don't have that info in the instructions. I know most will show the max C ratings. Lately I have been having to contact the manufacturers to get that tid bit of info about minimum C rating.

your overthinking this, just avoid Low C Batteries, just buy higher C, they are not much more expensive.

If you really want to know you would need to find the manual for the ESC your using and find that info there or email their support to ask.

I simply use 90C batteries and that covers everything anyone needs.

Hi

How do you guys figure out what the Minimum C Rating should be for your systems, if the Motor and ESC don't have that info in the instructions. I know most will show the max C ratings. Lately I have been having to contact the manufacturers to get that tid bit of info about minimum C rating.

It's not really a minimum C rate it is more of a minimum amp rate. 5000mah x 35c = 175,000ma or 175a. This 175a is about 15% over the amp rating of the BLX185 esc, which is 150a. My general rule of thumb is to try and have 20% more amperage than the esc needs.

So say you have a 100a esc, make sure the batteries at the very least can do 120a.

For the Arrma 1/8 I would not run anything under 5000mah and 40c, Arrmas 35c requirement is too low in my opinion.

You can never have too high of a C rate as the esc and motor will only pull as much power as it needs.

Last edited:
Hi

I'm like an old dog trying learn a new trick, and the new trick is the LiPo's, unfortunately it's taking me a little longer then an old dog to learn this new trick. But thank you for trying.

Hi

I'm like an old dog trying learn a new trick, and the new trick is the LiPo's, unfortunately it's taking me a little longer then an old dog to learn this new trick. But thank you for trying.

Do not eat the battery.

Arrma puts the recommended minimum battery info on the speed chart card that comes with the manual. For the BLX6s cars, they recommend 35c, 5000mah minimums. But - many members have reported ruining budget 35c-45c packs with these trucks. I have some 50C that have been good, but I have also puffed a 60c pack in my Typhon/Kraton.

snap0414.jpg

Arrma puts the recommended minimum battery info on the speed chart card that comes with the manual. For the BLX6s cars, they recommend 35c, 5000mah minimums. But - many members have reported ruining budget 35c-45c packs with these trucks. I have some 50C that have been good, but I have also puffed a 60c pack in my Typhon/Kraton.

View attachment 23376
Sorry for the giant wall of text.

Be very weary of cheap lipos the mah and c rates are not even close to what the label on the packs say. I picked up some cheap Zop Power 5200mah 50c 3s lipos and after the end of a run in the Outcast they were pretty hot, if I remember right the hottest spot was over 120*. The capacity of the batteries was much closer to 5800mah but the C rate was maybe 20 at best. They work well for my SCX10-II barely even get warm and I have yet to hit lvc with them even after a three and a half hour hike, at rest they were at 3.78v. It's not that they are bad batteries it's just the actual specs are not what the label says.

If they are cheap and the specs sound to good to be true they probably are.

Some goods brands are SMC Racing, gensacearespammers, Power Hobby, HobbyStar, Turnigy, Tenergy and I have heard some good things about HRB. Floureon batteries in my personal experience can be hit or miss I have 6 of their batteries of various sizes and voltage, and 2 of them out of the box didn't want to balance and after a run the cells would be way out of balance.

Avoid ebay and Amazon when buying batteries as well, it is almost always better and cheaper to buy from Amain, Tower Hobbies, Horizon Hobbies, Hobbyking or the manufacturer directly. Plus you get much better customer service. The cheap batteries that are on eBay and Amazon are not worth the risk of whether or not you will get a good pack, aside from the previously mentioned brands.

I got some mirahobby packs off amazon. they are 3200 45c 3s packs I got a couple to run in my senton mega and blitz. they were only 17.99 at the time and so far seem to be good for the use they have seen. they aren't even available on amazon right now but they sell other sizes/cell counts. only problem is they aren't hard case packs.

I got some mirahobby packs off amazon. they are 3200 45c 3s packs I got a couple to run in my senton mega and blitz. they were only 17.99 at the time and so far seem to be good for the use they have seen. they aren't even available on amazon right now but they sell other sizes/cell counts. only problem is they aren't hard case packs.
I find the cheap no name packs to work pretty well in 1/10 scale bashers, especially in vehicles that have 80w or less escs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back