Minimum size pinion for limitless spool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcjer

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I am building my limitless and I have the xlx2 with the tp4070 2900kv x spec motor. It came with an 8mm 24 tooth pinion but that won't reach my stock limitless spool. What size is the minimum pinion to mesh with the stock spool.

27T modulus 1 is the smallest pinion that will reach the stock 34 spool using the stock motor mount. With that pinion, the motor mount bracket actually bottoms out. So nothing smaller will fit or reach the spool's 34T spur. In fact, I notice my mesh should be a tad closer mesh wise than I have. But she is all the way in and bottomed out. Wont go any closer. FWIW.

BTW, be careful over revving that TP 2900kv motor running 8S. Gearing will be critical. Not to mention fans. Especially with the XLX2.
2900kv X 29.6v (8s nominal)= 85,840 RPM's ?‍♂️ Ceramics may be in order.
You may know this already.?
:cool:

27T modulus 1 is the smallest pinion that will reach the stock 34 spool using the stock motor mount. With that pinion, the motor mount bracket actually bottoms out. So nothing smaller will fit or reach the spool's 34T spur. In fact, I notice my mesh should be a tad closer mesh wise than I have. But she is all the way in and bottomed out. Wont go any closer. FWIW.

BTW, be careful over revving that TP 2900kv motor running 8S. Gearing will be critical. Not to mention fans. Especially with the XLX2.
Thanks for the advice buddy. I'm gonna be running 6s at first I think. Will it still be decently fast on 6s. And if you were to choose what gearing would you go for.

Absolutely will be a rocket ship on 6S. ?? Will run efficiently and cool on 6s for sure. Pull Castle data to confirm all.
Run 2 x 3s lipo saddle for best chassis balance with stock motor configuration.( motor position)
Nice gear.
I run sensored HW with My Lim. (XR8 Plus/ 2200kv) I just don't have enough room to wind it out. Has long legs. She is a rocket on only 4S also. I originally went 30T pin/6s. Had to drop down to stock 27T/6s. Doing high 70's mph on 4s just playing around. I still have no room and more trigger to go. Hard to get a full sustained pull where I live. Drop your punch all the way down. Highly recommended. No timing. Good place to start and wont tax your gear until you pull data and see where you are.

Last edited:
Awesome man thanks...for that big motor I had to swap motor mount position to fit. So idon't know if I will be able to put the batteries on both sides.I use the xr8 plus on my tekno eb48 that I use on the track. I am a big fan.

Yeah many guys opt to shift the motor over and remove one tray. But that TP would have fit in the stock position FWIW.
It's a 40x70 size motor can correct?
I could be wrong?

It is 40mm x 107mm. It doesn't look like it will fit the regular way unless I'm looking at it wrong.

It is 40mm x 107mm. It doesn't look like it will fit the regular way unless I'm looking at it wrong.
It won't as you've found out you have to flip the mount around.

You can run batteries on both sides still but only if you intend to run a GT bodyshell and to do that you will have to make some extensions on the side for the battery trays to fit onto.

It won't as you've found out you have to flip the mount around.

You can run batteries on both sides still but only if you intend to run a GT bodyshell and to do that you will have to make some extensions on the side for the battery trays to fit onto.
Ok sweet man I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post. I run the delta plastics gt body.

Absolutely will be a rocket ship on 6S. ?? Will run efficiently and cool on 6s for sure. Pull Castle data to confirm all.
Run 2 x 3s lipo saddle for best chassis balance with stock motor configuration.( motor position)
Nice gear.
I run sensored HW with My Lim. (XR8 Plus/ 2200kv) I just don't have enough room to wind it out. Has long legs. She is a rocket on only 4S also. I originally went 30T pin/6s. Had to drop down to stock 27T/6s. Doing high 70's mph on 4s just playing around. I still have no room and more trigger to go. Hard to get a full sustained pull where I live. Drop your punch all the way down. Highly recommended. No timing. Good place to start and wont tax your gear until you pull data and see where you are.

Nice gear.
Thanks buddy

Sorry, I thought it was 70mm long. My bad. Yeah 107 wont fit in stock location. 85mm is the limit there. :cool:

Soooo.., on my Skyline series I’m building I’m installing the 4070cm 2200kv and 27T seems a little high to be experimenting with out of the blue with no logs or history to know where I’m at so with some calculations I found that a 20T pinion would be a fair 100mph playground to test the new limitless build. Sounded great until the pinion arrived and won’t reach the 34T spool like you mention here, I should have KNOWN better lol 🥸… anyway man before buying a 27 with a light mesh, I’d pull the 30T from my K5 just to get the rc vehicle rolling and record data. Do 🫵 you know what size spur will accommodate the 20T pinion? Because now I don’t want to be under geared with too large of a spur on the 20T pinion. Now it’s a matter of finding what TWO gears will fit so that I can keep the 1.7 gear ratio 20/34=1.7

I’ll be okay if I can keep the 20T pinion and successfully run a 40T spur.. I’ll never need or want to be geared to do less than 100mph so that I don’t over rev on 8s. Imo🫡

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back