Minnesota Typhon speed build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erstadw

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
Hello,
I didn't have any intentions of starting another speed build but I got a request from another member to start one. So far its nothing to crazy, I have got a lot of tips and ideas from other members on the forum. At first I wanted a dual purpose buggy. One I could bash and speed run with but it didn't take long to become a dedicated speed runner. I will simply just share what upgrades I have done so far.

-Savox 1210SG with Hot racing mount
-GKA chasis braces with spools and rear brace stop
-GRP S4 tires
-custom made rear body mount extensions
-Stretched using a Kraton chassis
-Kraton rear springs.
-Saga custom rc carbon fiber wing
-Saga custom rc aluminum esc mount plate
- Hot racing center spool with 34/34 gearing
-Castle Mamba xlx esc
-TpPower 4060 1950kv motor
-HRB 100c 6s Graphene
-Twin yeah racing motor fan
-Outcast side guards
-Avid titanium rounded droop screws
-Fast Eddy bearing kit
And I'm using a messed up saga esc plate for a gps mount. lol

With the Limitless coming soon, I don't know how much more I will be putting in this build. I would like a killmode cap pack and motor if funds are available. we will see.

Last edited:
Hello,
I didn't have any intentions of starting another speed build but I got a request from another member to start one. So far its nothing to crazy, I have got a lot of tips and ideas from other members on the forum. At first I wanted a dual purpose buggy. One I could bash and speed run with but it didn't take long to become a dedicated speed runner. I will simply just share what upgrades I have done so far.

-Savox 1210SG with Hot racing mount
-GKA chasis braces with spools and rear brace stop
-GRP S4 tires
-custom made rear body mount extensions
-Stretched using a Kraton chassis
-Kraton rear springs.
-Saga custom rc carbon fiber wing
-Saga custom rc aluminum esc mount plate
- Hot racing center spool with 34/34 gearing
-Castle Mamba xlx esc
-TpPower 4060 1950kv motor
-HRB 100c 6s Graphene
-Twin yeah racing motor fan
-Outcast side guards
And I'm using a messed up saga esc plate for a gps mount. lol

With the Limitless coming soon, I don't know how much more I will be putting in this build. I would like a killmode cap pack and motor if funds are available. we will see.

View attachment 41189View attachment 41190
Looks nice. I've never been into doing speed runs myself but like watching videos of others doing them. And BOOOOOOOOO Minnesota lol

Looks nice. I've never been into doing speed runs myself but like watching videos of others doing them. And BOOOOOOOOO Minnesota lol
What's wrong with Minnesota other than winter. Lol Last winter was the first and last winter of snow bashing. Just makes everything steel rust. Such a pain.
And if I can find a cameraman I will try and get some video taken. I want a newer model gopro or the new dji camera but all my funds will be going into a limitless build.

What's wrong with Minnesota other than winter. Lol Last winter was the first and last winter of snow bashing. Just makes everything steel rust. Such a pain.
And if I can find a cameraman I will try and get some video taken. I want a newer model gopro or the new dji camera but all my funds will be going into a limitless build.
Nothings wrong with Minnesota. I'm from Minnesota too lol. I'm looking forward to the limitless build!

I used to bash in water and snow, but it's hell on bearings and rusts everything so now I keep all of my stuff dry.

Have you run this rig yet? I am wondering if the 34/34 gearing is a bit aggressive.
Looking forward to seeing your results!

FYI I have used a chest camera mount from amazon and works great. I felt like the head mounts didn't give a good perspective. I couldn't ever count on a camera man being available to join me at a last second notice.

-Liberty

More info, pics of the rear body mounts? Looks good!:)
Here is a more close up pic of the rear body mounts. Used 1/4 inch anodized aluminum rod cut into 55mm length pieces. Then had a local metal fabrication shop drill the holes all the way through just big enough for a m3 screw to slide through. Then I found some m3x70mm cap head screws on amazon. Couldn't find any small packs. All I could find was a 25 pack. Worked out pretty good though.
Have you run this rig yet? I am wondering if the 34/34 gearing is a bit aggressive.
Looking forward to seeing your results!

FYI I have used a chest camera mount from amazon and works great. I felt like the head mounts didn't give a good perspective. I couldn't ever count on a camera man being available to join me at a last second notice.

-Liberty
I have run it. Started with 30/34 gearing and was using the stock wing with about half the lip cut off. Did a few runs and couldn't go past 102 mph. Next I changed to the 34/34 gearing and hit 111 mph. Last update i upgraded to the carbon fiber wing and hit 112 mph. After two runs the esc is at about 180F and motor should be less than that. I can hold a finger on for about 4-5 seconds. Cant find my temp gun, That's why I have been using the touch test. Lol Ambient temp has been 70-80F range.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190619-171006_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190619-171006_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20190619_170201.jpg
    20190619_170201.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Did a few changes this week and thought I would share. Ordered a killmode 2900kv motor and team 6 cap pack. Also added a dedicated 2s lipo for cooling fans. haven't run yet but hopefully tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20190807_194954.jpg
    20190807_194954.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 79
Finally got to run tonight with the new setup. First run felt good. Power all the way through. Hit 112mph. Checked temps and motor was at 118 and esc at 110. Felt good to try another run. Got up to 98mph and esc cut out. Tried driving back to me and car was very jerky. Unplugged battery and plugged back in and tried driving a little in circles and drove normal. Setup for a third run and esc cut at 62mph. After that checked voltage on battery and all were around 4.02v. Only .02v max variance. Brought back home and checked data log. First run voltage dropped to 17.9v. Not too bad in my experience. Run 2 and 3 a whole different story. Voltage plummeted well below 1 volt. I'm surprised the pack didnt puff. What could cause this? Battery is a hrb graphene 6000mah 100c battery. Is the high voltage drop a sign the pack is going bad? Its only a few months old with about 15 runs on it. All the previous runs were on my 4060 1950kv motor pulling the same amps with no cap pack. Also, I'm still using xt90's. They don't get very warm but I feel like they are too small even though the guy at my lhs said they should be big enough. I'm really considering changing to castle 6.5mm plugs.

Last edited:
Total voltage went below 1v? Sounds like the connection broke.

I'd definitely go with 6.5mm or 8mm bullets.
I typically stop running once I get close to 4v per cell.

I don't have experience with HRB so I can't say much there, but I can say Turnigy batteries is my #1 choice if you are in the market.

Total voltage went below 1v? Sounds like the connection broke.

I'd definitely go with 6.5mm or 8mm bullets.
I typically stop running once I get close to 4v per cell.

I don't have experience with HRB so I can't say much there, but I can say Turnigy batteries is my #1 choice if you are in the market.
I want to try the turnigy panther but they are just too big. I will stop and get new connectors today. Thanks Liberty.

Yeah 1V sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Maybe a bad solder joint? Dig deep.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back