Minokawa taping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainQ

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
hi there,

Newbie here, didn't get my Kraton yet, my first RC... but I was wondering... is it possible to remove the tire glue on the stock Minokawa dboots (without destroying those) to tape them inside, to prevent ballooning.... ?

Thx

You can remove them, using heat gun, or bake them in the oven (320-325 degrees for 15 minutes or so) boil them in water (probably least recommended). Some use a gallon paint can with about an inch or so of rocks in the bottom and some acetone poured in (not above the rocks) put the tires in and put the lid on for a day. The vapor breaks down the glue. Personally I use a heat gun. The tire will separate easily when it gets hot enough. You will definately need gloves. That being said, I don't tape tires. Never had it last. 500k fluid in the center diff will cut way down on the fronts ballooning. If you are going to run "speed runs" use belted on road tires.

that sounds dangerous ahah, thx
I read posts about debonder, have you ever tried that?
I did get some better titres, dboots backflip, just I want to make the best use of the stock while they last

that sounds dangerous ahah, thx
I read posts about debonder, have you ever tried that?
I did get some better titres, dboots backflip, just I want to make the best use of the stock while they last

I don't consider the heat gun or the baking method dangerous. The boiling method a little more so. The foams in the tires also seem to degrade a lot faster after being wet. The acetone method definitely requires caution. The vapor is highly volatile. The Minokawa's will wear out very fast if used on concrete or asphalt. Many of us run the Back flips. They hold up well. Just keep an eye on the beads, Some have experienced tearing of the sidewall if the glue comes loose somewhere. Also the increased mass, traction and higher overall gear ratio (due to the larger diameter) can cause some heat issues with the 2050 kv motor. Mainly on 6s. (Which is all I run) It's not too bad with the 12 tooth pinion unless there is a lot of grass running. At least that has been my experience.

oh I didn't read about backflip's mass causing heat issues before :eek:
I did buy an heatsink and a Yeah Racing Tornado Plus Aluminium tho :D

I'll take a look at these heat guns, do they have other use tho? I don't wanna waste 50 CAD for a one time thing eheh

oh I didn't read about backflip's mass causing heat issues before :eek:
I did buy an heatsink and a Yeah Racing Tornado Plus Aluminium tho :D

I'll take a look at these heat guns, do they have other use tho? I don't wanna waste 50 CAD for a one time thing eheh

The overall gear ratio change is the biggest contributer (the larger diameter is basically like increasing the pinion size). The higher mass is harder to accelerate. A heat gun has more uses than just tire glue. It works well to heat tweaked plastic parts to straighten them and to help get stubborn loctite to release. They are also handy for many other things aside from RC when some substantial non flame heat is required.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back