Granite MIP - Asking for data points about wheel driveshafts for Granite/BRCC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xertian

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
I've got a conversation started with MIP about potentially making some shafts for our vehicles and they've asked for some links to people having issues with existing parts. Can you guys help me out by compiling some links here that I can aggregate and send along? I assume they can be links to any source that points to the frequency of people having issues with wheel drive shafts. That includes the GPM and HR parts as I referenced them in my initial question to MIP.

I think appropriate links would consist of data around the following:
  • Conversations about frequent breakage
  • IF operator error is believed to be the ONLY cause of breakage then it would be only fair to share that info as well
  • Cost per breakage commentary
  • Aftermarket part options cost. performance, availability
  • Various other efforts to find fixes (4S parts swaps, any other efforts)
  • Pictures of broken parts with consistent failure points
  • Commentary on supply challenges if they exist for factory parts
I'm open to any other data points you guys think may be valuable to MIP as they determine the viability of this effort. Also, don't get your hopes up. this was a one-liner request from MIP, not a boardroom meeting with upsidedown charts and catered sammiches ;-)

I’m pretty sure most of the u-joint issues I’ve had were due to over-tightening of my slipper clutch. I haven’t had any issues since properly setting the slipper. ??‍♂️

That said, I popped four joints in one days bashing session. The final one also broke a diff outdrive shaft. But since that day, I haven’t had a single issue.

I’m pretty sure most of the u-joint issues I’ve had were due to over-tightening of my slipper clutch. I haven’t had any issues since properly setting the slipper. ??‍♂️

That said, I popped four joints in one days bashing session. The final one also broke a diff outdrive shaft. But since that day, I haven’t had a single issue.

I thought I was in the same boat after a few sessions tweaking my clutch successfully. It just transitioned from quick pops, even on new shafts, to slowly watching the holes that the u-joint engages elongating until they eventually popped out even on super mild terrain. Are you running 3s? I had the best luck with an overly loose slipper and rotating shafts from back to front once the holes elongated visually. That bought me the most time until they eventually popped.

I thought I was in the same boat after a few sessions tweaking my clutch successfully. It just transitioned from quick pops, even on new shafts, to slowly watching the holes that the u-joint engages elongating until they eventually popped out even on super mild terrain. Are you running 3s? I had the best luck with an overly loose slipper and rotating shafts from back to front once the holes elongated visually. That bought me the most time until they eventually popped.
I have a Typhon running BLX120 4S and a Kraton 4S as well. The Kraton used to be a Granite 3S and had issues with the u-joints on 3S as well. Never had an issue on 2S tho. But 3S with a tight clutch and you will pop u-joints not problem.

I think the issues will just move from popping u-joints to shredding diffs instead. My original issues started as plastic spurs being shredded. Added a steel spur and popped joints. Loosened slipper a little and all’s well now.

just give me some good American steel and all would be good.
Just wondering if dog bones n diff cups would work some how
Sliding dog bone?

Never had a problem, don't feel I need them on my 2S/3S Granite or my 3S/4S Kraton.

Yes they are fantastic :ROFLMAO:

Warning: Just a little bit of colorful language used in the making of this video :ROFLMAO:
Maybe offensive to younger viewers

That was the old ignorant Bickety. @razorrc has since enlightened me to the ways of the slipper clutch!

I broke 1 or 2 cvd’s per pack so im waiting for good cvd’s

So if my slipper is as loose as I can tolerate it and still enjoy the truck but still lose shafts....what are the chances that my punch setting being on 5 are a factor here? :unsure:

So if my slipper is as loose as I can tolerate it and still enjoy the truck but still lose shafts....what are the chances that my punch setting being on 5 are a factor here? :unsure:

Shoot some video doing full throttle from a dead stop on pavement.

Shoot some video doing full throttle from a dead stop on pavement.

That's not something I'd normally do to my truck but I know what you are after. I'll try to get that done ASAP but the weather in the PNW hasn't been conducive to driving for a few weeks. Maybe this weekend.

You're going to poopoo my wheelies aren't you? :(

That's not something I'd normally do to my truck but I know what you are after. I'll try to get that done ASAP but the weather in the PNW hasn't been conducive to driving for a few weeks. Maybe this weekend.

You're going to poopoo my wheelies aren't you? :(

Nope, I couldn't care less about wheelies. I took off the wheelie bar on my Granite on the first day. I just want to see how tight your slipper is.

Have the same problem. Slipper set so loose that the car is no fun anymore and still popping driveshafts. Not even punch 5 think its set to 3 or 4.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back