MIP Hex tools over time...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After one year of definitely more than average use, I'm grateful that I bought the mips.
There's no flies on @ABabyEater 's pro teks. I like em fine, and for 3s drveshafts they work better than the mips (that extra few mm's of shaft).
However, the mips usually get grabbed first. I just picked up some eds to compare. We'll see if they stack up

I've had great luck with these except for the 1.5mm it broke trying to remove a pinon, probably my fault for not using heat first though stupid WL toys and red thread lock on everything. Bought these November 14th 2019 and they still work great. https://www.amazon.com/NEEWER®-Titanium-Nitride-Driver-Wrench/dp/B00CP2GGBI

Here is a picture comparing the nearly 2 year old Neewer tip vs the MIP tip that only had about a year of use even after I ground the tip back you can see how rounded out it is.

20210806_005010.jpg

I know not everyone has the same experience with everything but for the money I paid for the MIP set I was highly disappointed in how fast the tip wore down.

I've had great luck with these except for the 1.5mm it broke trying to remove a pinon, probably my fault for not using heat first though stupid WL toys and red thread lock on everything. Bought these November 14th 2019 and they still work great. https://www.amazon.com/NEEWER®-Titanium-Nitride-Driver-Wrench/dp/B00CP2GGBI

Here is a picture comparing the nearly 2 year old Neewer tip vs the MIP tip that only had about a year of use even after I ground the tip back you can see how rounded out it is.

View attachment 162232

I know not everyone has the same experience with everything but for the money I paid for the MIP set I was highly disappointed in how fast the tip wore down.
Thats exactly what i first bought😹

Thats exactly what i first bought😹
Eh I figure an entire set for the cost of 1 MIP driver, even if they only would have lasted a year I still saved money in the long run.

I have the Neewer set as well. Mine are at the point that they spin in the handle now. I try to tighten them and use TL, but they just strip out and spin. Had considered drilling and tapping them to a larger set screw and making the flat spot better, but for the money paid I just decided to retire them. I have a set of MIP and don’t really need two sets. My MIP set didn’t have the 3mm hex so I still use the Neewer one.

Real good feedback Jondilly and Slick. Neewer is what I currently have made me start this thread. They are super good fit but I see after time the wear on the tip I don't like. So like some I am at the crossroad do I buy the same again or MIP. MIP can get expensive over time to keep buying those but I guess that depends on my usage if they get me further than year....I heard here there is a MIP warranty...maybe

Whatever I do looks like I need a set of Neewer to get in those 3S driveshaft.

All good replies ..thx

I was told that you're supposed to screw strippers...but until I got my MIPs all I used to do was strip screws!!! I haven't stripped hardly any screws since I got them and they're well worth the price. I have the handle ones and the screw bits that fit into an electric screwdriver and love them both. Probably one of the best purchases I've made since getting into RC in November 2020.

View attachment 162232

mine only lasted a few months at most thought they would have lasted alot longer

So for us guys in the trades, the impact bits MIP offers are awesome... BUT using them is playing with fire. Anyone who regularly uses an impact driver knows the feel of when they tighten up, before they start to hammer, and extended use has taught me how to feel the driver with even more attention to the correct tightness, but I was stripping plastic quite a bit before I really got the hang of it. I use both the Dewalt XR Brushless and Milwaukee M18 Brushless impacts, and the Milwaukee has noticeably better low end fine control.

I use a lot of MIP tools they are great and high quality. I’ve never rounded a screw using them. Also their nut drivers are excellent. Same handle and design. Colour coded with markings so you know which one your grabbing.

On the note of tools I’ll say I have some Hudy drivers and they are excellent high quality also. They actually feel better in your hand then the MIP.

For me I need good tools that are comfortable because I wrench for a living and I get sore hands and fingers with the little stuff after a brief wrench session. So comfort makes a difference to me. MIP and Hudy are great stuff
So for us guys in the trades, the impact bits MIP offers are awesome... BUT using them is playing with fire. Anyone who regularly uses an impact driver knows the feel of when they tighten up, before they start to hammer, and extended use has taught me how to feel the driver with even more attention to the correct tightness, but I was stripping plastic quite a bit before I really got the hang of it. I use both the Dewalt XR Brushless and Milwaukee M18 Brushless impacts, and the Milwaukee has noticeably better low end fine control.
We use Milwaukee Impacts at work they are great from the 3/8 drive right up to the 3/4 drive. On my RC I use a Milwaukee M12 driver and it works great and the clutch gives out before stripping plastic i love it

Real good feedback Jondilly and Slick. Neewer is what I currently have made me start this thread. They are super good fit but I see after time the wear on the tip I don't like. So like some I am at the crossroad do I buy the same again or MIP. MIP can get expensive over time to keep buying those but I guess that depends on my usage if they get me further than year....I heard here there is a MIP warranty...maybe

Whatever I do looks like I need a set of Neewer to get in those 3S driveshaft.

All good replies ..thx

Their "warranty" is worthless.

MIP offers a 30 day warranty with proof of purchase for all current miponline listed products against defects in manufacturing, materials, and packaging errors. MIP can replace covered MIP product(s) within the Continental US only and shipping fees may apply. Our warranty does not cover your errors in assembly nor installation, wear and tear, or mis-use of product. For more details go to https://www.miponline.com/Terms-and-Conditions, paragraph 11. Click the RED button above to submit your claim with required pic of your receipt and defective MIP product(s).

They do offer a regrind service but you have to ship them the old driver and pay them $10. A new driver is only $16.99 :rolleyes:

If or when the cheap Amazon set gets too wore out to use I think I'm going to give Hudy a try.

MIP offers a 30 day warranty with proof of purchase for all current miponline listed products against defects in manufacturing, materials, and packaging errors. MIP can replace covered MIP product(s) within the Continental US only and shipping fees may apply. Our warranty does not cover your errors in assembly nor installation, wear and tear, or mis-use of product. For more details go to https://www.miponline.com/Terms-and-Conditions, paragraph 11. Click the RED button above to submit your claim with required pic of your receipt and defective MIP product(s).

They do offer a regrind service but you have to ship them the old driver and pay them $10. A new driver is only $16.99 :rolleyes:

If or when the cheap Amazon set gets too wore out to use I think I'm going to give Hudy a try.
Hudy is very good.

I don't know considering the amount of money I have spent on these toys spending a bit extra on tools seems reasonable.

One bad accident recently was over 100 bucks in parts and I even had some spares to throw onto it. If I had to buy two sets of good drivers a year it would be the same as that battery pack which lasted literally 5 seconds before the truck detonated itself against a curb.

When I was painting a lot of miniatures alarm bells would start going off if my new minis were costing me a lot more than my painting supplies and so on: it meant I was building a giant backlog of miniatures. Not sticking to this rule means I have enough unpainted minis to last a lifetime.

I just blew a mortgage payment on a new toy. Spending a hundo a year on quality tools so I can work on them properly seems like a pretty fair exchange. I think if these MIP drivers last me even a few months I'd be pretty happy. Especially since it's summer time and the trucks get out (and break down) a lot more this time of year.

Absolutely zero complaints about the MIP drivers (I have the handled set as well as the 1/4" insert set) and I should have bought them years ago.

In the end, the MIP 1.5/2.0/2.5 set is about 40 bucks, and they're worth every penny. But then again, I come from the machine tool world-- I have individual lathe tools that are over $100 a pop and I usually spend about $300 a year on saw blades, so 40 for a trio of hex drivers is pretty tame.

You’d be just as happy with Hudy they are top quality!

I don't recommend EDS...
I own two sets of EDS and they are OK, for sure not on the MIP level. Either go Neewer or all the way to MIP. Hard to justify the middle brands.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back