MIP or Protek Hexes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98jdmcivic

Active Military
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
Read how great the MIP tools are for the hobby but have not heard much about the Protek ones. They just launched a new version. Any thoughts?

I am looking to buy a good set soon.

I have seen the add for this on YouTube but haven’t watched it. I’m a fan of MIP but that doesn’t mean that these (or others) aren’t as good or better

I have seen the add for this on YouTube but haven’t watched it. I’m a fan of MIP but that doesn’t mean that these (or others) aren’t as good or better
I agree and both are probably 10x better than they cheap ones I currently use.
MIP has my vote.
I think I will go with the MIPs since they have been tested.

I’ve had some driver bits from Protek and they have been great. Had them 3 years. I’m far from a heavy wrencher. This post made me check out the price difference and I would probably buy MIP next time now that I know they are priced comparable. MIP has great customer service I dealt with them on a drive shaft issue a few months ago.

I’ve had some driver bits from Protek and they have been great. Had them 3 years. I’m far from a heavy wrencher. This post made me check out the price difference and I would probably buy MIP next time now that I know they are priced comparable. MIP has great customer service I dealt with them on a drive shaft issue a few months ago.
Good info, thanks! I think I will be wrenching more often with my son's Kraton especially when he is ready for 6s.
Mip gets my vote too
Thanks

I bought MIP and have to say I’m impressed with them especially compared to what I was using which are the bonhus on the left in the photo.. so impressed I bought a set of mip metric speed driver bits too.. they are in the mail on their way to me now..
F7B2A32F-9BBB-4FA0-9F86-ABA5DE1CAACC.jpeg

MIP all day everyday!

They don’t look as fancy as some but who cares when the work so well.

These Proteks appear to cost more than MIP. (n)The Proteks have no track record of being dependable.(n)
Its an Amain Hobbies store brand. Take that for what its worth. A lot of Protek stuff is ok. Jury is out on their tools though. Too new and cost $$$$. I wouldn't chance that.

MIP all day long. Had them for years. Known to be the absolute best. Cost more than the average. MIP's feel great in the hand and the tips are excellent and proven to be the best. Most other brands Aluminum Handles can be rough on the hands when building. IMO. Have a few lying around. (Tips worn out) Never liked alloy handles.

If you cant afford MIP, get a cheapo set, and don't be upset if you have to replace them frequently. I did that early in this hobby 30 years ago,and could have bought a set of MIPs from the get go from what I payed to keep replacing with cheapos. And crappy tools ruin your fasteners too as they wear out.
(y)

Been a kit builder for years. A Mechanic on scale cars as well. I am serious about my tools. Buy cheap buy twice. Amain puts out tempting videos from time to time. I find that they embellish their Protek line of products way too much.
MIP all the way.
That's my spin.:)

These Proteks appear to cost more than MIP. (n)The Proteks have no track record of being dependable.(n)
Its an Amain Hobbies store brand. Take that for what its worth. A lot of Protek stuff is ok. Jury is out on their tools though. Too new and cost $$$$. I wouldn't chance that.
MIP all day long. Had them for years. Known to be the absolute best. Cost more than the average. MIP's feel great in the hand and the tips are excellent and proven to be the best. Most other brands Aluminum Handles can be rough on the hands when building. IMO. Have a few lying around. (Tips worn out) Never liked alloy handles.
If you cant afford MIP, get a cheapo set, and don't be upset if you have to replace them frequently. I did that early in this hobby 30 years ago,and could have bought a set of MIPs from the get go from what I payed to keep replacing with cheapos. And crappy tools ruin your fasteners too as they wear out.
(y)
Been a kit builder for years. A Mechanic on scale cars as well. I am serious about my tools. Buy cheap buy twice. Amain puts out tempting videos from time to time. I find that they embellish their Protek line of products way too much.
MIP all the way.
Thats my spin.:)
Fantastic information. I didnt know it was their house brand. Cost is not a hindrance...at least not for now. MIP it is. Ordering tonight. Thanks.

I have mips. I need some smaller stuff for some of my smaller machines. I also have snap on . I got the mips to keep in a separate RC bag. Snap ons live at work.

Vanquish tips appear to be longer. Which can be a plus. Vanquish outsources these because they don't have adequate hardening equipment for volume production. Most of their in-house upgrade parts are alloys. Not hardened steel. But these are great tips also. I do not own them but have seen them and handled them and they appear good. Not cheap though. But we know Vanguish is a high end brand and they don't skimp. You get what you pay for. Similar price to MIP. Because you need the 1/4" drive adapter for a standard Handle in addition to the tips. I would bet on a set of these. But my MIP's just wont die on me. LOL.
https://www.vanquishproducts.com/vanquish-tools/

Yeah I’ve had the vanquish tips for a while. No rounding of edges at all. The length comes in very handy but at the same time it can be cumbersome.

Y’all have a good one!

The length would help me. I may just grab a set to suplement my short MIP set.
Enjoy

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back