SOLD / FOUND Mitutoyo 500-734-20 caliper ABSOLUTE Coolant Proof

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Niz55

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Brand new.

$175 shipped in us. Thanks

IMG_20220908_072228.jpg

IMG_20220908_072230.jpg

Coolant proof? Not familiar with the brand, but for that kind of money it must be a good one!

Coolant proof? Not familiar with the brand, but for that kind of money it must be a good one!
I swear by my Mitutoyo. Some of the best you can buy, made in Japan. I agree, for the price, it better be good! :ROFLMAO: GLWS!
image0.jpeg

Mitutoyo considered the best.(y)
I use a Home depot "General" brand. (digital) Adequate and accurate enough for Rc use at 1/20th the price. Never let me down. If you never used a digital caliper before, there is very slight learning curve for getting accurate measurements. No matter how expensive yours is. It is a delicate instrument more than it's a simple tool. Never drop it and keep it in its case always. They can get uncalibrated easily.

Mitutoyo considered the best.(y)
I use a Home depot "General" brand. (digital) Adequate and accurate enough for Rc use at 1/20th the price. Never let me down. If you never used a digital caliper before, there is very slight learning curve for getting accurate measurements. No matter how expensive yours is. It is a delicate instrument more than it's a simple tool. Never drop it and keep it in its case always. They can get uncalibrated easily.
I use the General one as well, and it’s worked beautifully for years.
But what about “coolant proof?”

are they good calipers ?
Yes ! Absolutely!
The best ??? Mmmmmm
That’s opinion.
I have a lot of Mitutoyo tools from calipers , mics, to precision Mitutoyo grinding squares, true to .0005
Definitely quality tools .
“Coolant proof” is just stating that said Tool is resistant to the water based machining coolant used in NC machines and other various machines in a shop .
The “cool blue” coolant can gum up a caliper and cause inconsistent readings.
Hope I’m not pooping in a classified ad .
It’s a good caliper !
GLWS

are they good calipers ?
Yes ! Absolutely!
The best ??? Mmmmmm
That’s opinion.
I have a lot of Mitutoyo tools from calipers , mics, to precision Mitutoyo grinding squares, true to .0005
Definitely quality tools .
“Coolant proof” is just stating that said Tool is resistant to the water based machining coolant used in NC machines and other various machines in a shop .
The “cool blue” coolant can gum up a caliper and cause inconsistent readings.
Hope I’m not pooping in a classified ad .
It’s a good caliper !
GLWS
Makes sense, I was wondering why a digital caliper would need to be coolant proof. Sounds like a great caliper, certainly nicer than anything I have ever used.

I use the General one as well, and it’s worked beautifully for years.
But what about “coolant proof?”
+1
Coolant proof???? Was that click bait???
:LOL:

+1
Embarrassingly, it was for me! 😂 And I get the reason, but who mic’s sh’t on a CNC machine with coolant flowing? But dammit, I clicked…

These are basically exactly what I use. It's an awesome caliper. You can feel a night and day difference between these and "Good" cheap calipers like Igauge and Shars. And even the cheapest of calipers can certainly get you good ballpark measurements, but it's too easy to get the measurement you want to see vs the measurement it actually is lol. If something is measuring 0.513" and you expect it to be 0.500" you can easily squeeze cheap calipers tighter to manipulate the reading. On the more premium tools when it measures 0.513 it feels solid, and you end up with a more accurate reading more often.

+1
Embarrassingly, it was for me! 😂 And I get the reason, but who mic’s sh’t on a CNC machine with coolant flowing? But dammit, I clicked…
Coolant proof is a real thing.. not click bait I am sure. These are great tools, used in the major aerospace companies of the world. If it’s good enough to measure the things that fly I’m sure it’s top tier tools eh?

As for the coolant proof … straight from the manufacturer:
FAB09117-2F50-4578-8E6E-526E36A612CA.jpeg
A4BE88A6-6208-4D00-BDE0-9F5BCF299A13.jpeg

Calipers are not for “measuring”.
Don’t know how else to say it .
They are a quick reference to get you close then one would/should use a mic .
Calipers are “close enuf” for “measuring” or determining size of our RC parts
With enuf years of practice a fella can become very acclimated to your everyday calipers and get very close to actual “measurement” …
I use to be within .003+- with my calipers then checking with a mic .
I’m talking using the same calipers every day all day long in a shop …
For years …

Fwiw
In any machine shop I’ve worked in you would be making a lot of scrap parts if attempting to use a digital or dial caliper for final dimension.
It’s literally not what calipers are for. Period.

A true “vernier” caliper
is more accurate if used correctly.
But that’s not in today’s class folks !
😀
I’ve used 6ft and larger actual vernier calipers (not dial or digital)
But VERNIER
They read similar to a mic .
You also calibrate them prior to each use.
Yes it usually takes 2 people to use it ..
Still not a very accurate measuring device in the Machine shop world .

Last edited:
With enuf years of practice a fella can become very acclimated to your everyday calipers and get very close to actual “measurement” …
For years …

Fwiw
In any machine shop I’ve worked in you would be making a lot of scrap parts if attempting to use a digital or dial caliper for final dimension.

A true “vernier” caliper
😀
But VERNIER
I have to agree 100%.
Only someone who has used calipers extensibly for years would know this.
Mititoyo are the best no doubt. But calipers come in second behind a quality Micrometer in many cases when absolute precision matters. And Nothing is truly absolute when measuring anything. Close enough is what matters to the end user. Getting to within .5-1.0 mm is all thats needed for our RC Hobby.
Laser measuring is the final call with Mfr ing.
Paying an additional premium for IP67 rated Calipers is a personal call. And Mititoyo even claims that the seals can deteriorate and fail. Seems like a disclaimer.... they won't back it if the seals fail.
Being an instrument, it should never be allowed to get wet anyway. IMHO.
My spin.

For years …

Fwiw

A true “vernier” caliper
😀
But VERNIER
So your telling me these measuring devices aren’t for measuring? …. 🤔weird…

Here I thought there was measuring and more precise measuring…. Hmmm..

Soooooo measuring things with a tape measure isn’t measuring them, since it won’t give you an “accurate” measurement? Negative ... but hey, everyone’s entitled to their own opinions.

I do know what you mean by getting a more precise measurement with different precision measuring devices… but to say a set of calipers isn’t meant for measuring … I don’t know if I’d go that far… also, these aren’t the kind of places for debates. The entire reason for my initial post was to try and get this for sale thread back on track for NIZ … after you guys derailed it with your talk of what liquid proof was.

I was just trying to help dude get his product sold..

Last edited:
So your telling me these measuring devices aren’t for measuring? …. 🤔weird…

Here I thought there was measuring and more precise measuring…. Hmmm..

Soooooo measuring things with a tape measure isn’t measuring them, since it won’t give you an “accurate” measurement? Negative ... but hey, everyone’s entitled to their own opinions.

I do know what you mean by getting a more precise measurement with different precision measuring devices… but to say a set of calipers isn’t meant for measuring … I don’t know if I’d go that far… also, these aren’t the kind of places for debates. The entire reason for my initial post was to try and get this for sale thread back on track for NIZ … after you guys derailed it with your talk of what liquid proof was.

I was just trying to hell dude get his product sold..

It matters what you use to measure things and the precision which is required, but when you start needing precision beyond a good set of digital calipers it's no longer the tool that is important. (Speaking strictly for things calipers can adequately measure, like OD/length"
The user becomes more important the more precise things need to get. Also the initial calibration of your tools, and the calibration of the tools that calibrate your tools, and the temperature that everything was calibrated, and the temperature of what you're measuring and the tool you're using...That type of precision measuring is beyond both my needs and my skill. @SrC hit the nail on the head when he said that nothing is absolute.

Anyway, I have had a set of these in 6" for the past couple years and loved them. I paid the price not so much for the coolant proof but for the carbide jaws. I plan on having them a long time and figured carbide jaws were going to give me the most amount of wear resistance.

When I realized this was an 8" tool, I thought heck, $175 isn't a bad deal for 2 extra inches. The 6" does the job pretty well for most of the things I do but sometimes having the extra 2" would come in handy. I also have a cheapo 12" but that thing is unwieldy and often a pain in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back