Notorious Mixing Differential Fluid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizzle

Reaction score
My LHS has 200K CST and 1MIL CST.

I want to try 400K in the center diff. It seems like 500K could be a little heavy. How would I mix these two and end up with 400K?

My LHS has 200K CST and 1MIL CST.

I want to try 400K in the center diff. It seems like 500K could be a little heavy. How would I mix these two and end up with 400K?

My understanding is that you would need 3 parts 200k and 1 part 1M top get 400k.

(3*200 + 1x1000)/4 = 400

Not sure why these calculators don't give the same result... Am I wrong here?

Edit: It seems I was wrong indeed. Formula here: http://profmaster.blogspot.com/2007/12/how-to-calculate-viscosity-of-liquid.html

Last edited:
You guys are awesome. I got the wife to grab a bottle of 10K as well so I can make sure the front and rear diffs are full.

Any recommendations for the front and rear differential weight? I just like cruising around the yard backflips are also fun on this small dirt ramp we have. Also hoping the higher center diff fluid helps with that. Not really into racing just cruising and flipping small bashing around the yard.

Thanks for your help! How is 2MIL working out in the middle? That’s almost locked isn’t it! 😂🤣

There is really nothing it can tear up though being that thick right? I guess it could hurt turning radius but it probably stays pretty cool right?

Quick question... I have the v5 Notorious. I have heard about shimming then pinion gear for the differential. What shims should I buy for that? I think some shims came in the box too I need to check all of that out. I thought someone said to check them and shim them though not sure exactly where I need to shim I seen a YouTube video about shimming the pinion gear where it meets the main gear on the differential. Is that the one that needs shims right behind the bearing? What shims would fit that?

There is really nothing it can tear up though being that thick right? I guess it could hurt turning radius but it probably stays pretty cool right?

Quick question... I have the v5 Notorious. I have heard about shimming then pinion gear for the differential. What shims should I buy for that? I think some shims came in the box too I need to check all of that out. I thought someone said to check them and shim them though not sure exactly where I need to shim I seen a YouTube video about shimming the pinion gear where it meets the main gear on the differential. Is that the one that needs shims right behind the bearing? What shims would fit that?
use the shims in the box and then put the shims on the left side of the diff.

Ok thank you leroychurchill for the advice. Was waiting before I dug into the front and rear diffs. Took the center diff out opened it up cleaned it looked good still was almost full too. Added 200K and 1MIL just about equal parts. See how that goes. I will dig into the front and rear diffs later this week. One more thing though... Are the sway bars necessary? Should I just take them off when I dig into the front and rear diffs?

What does that mean Triggerhappy? Do they cause issues keeping them in is that what your saying or if I remove them they will cause issues? Sorry just didn’t understand exactly what you meant

What does that mean Triggerhappy? Do they cause issues keeping them in is that what your saying or if I remove them they will cause issues? Sorry just didn’t understand exactly what you meant
Sway bars help keep it from rolling in fast turns. You’ll want to keep them on for stability.

I believe they're 13 x 19 x 0.2 & ideally 0.1 if you can find them. I'm full n00b but it seems most people just use the 13 x 16 and shim the left side of the diff in the bulkead to snug it into the pinion but the video I saw it definitely made a difference shimming the pinion bearing as well.

Yep! 13x19x0.1mm shim for the pinion.

I found some on eBay, but I couldn't fit one in without making the mesh too tight at one spot. The way I understand it: it's important to test your mesh over the whole circumference of the crown gear and shim as needed; not just add shims according to what others have done. The shims are there to compensate for the manufacturing tolerances of the diff case and if the mesh is too tight at one spot and causes some resistance, it means you installed one-too-many shim. (Note that I'm in no way an expert at this. I'd be happy to hear from a more experienced member if I am wrong about this. )

On my front and rear diff, I can only use 1 shim one the left side of the bearing. If I try adding another one, the mesh becomes too tight at one spot on the crown gear and it binds. Same thing if I try to shim the input gear.

Misunderstood you thought you was asking do you have to remove sway bars to service your diffs. Like @jondilly1974 said you need them. Will handle like s$&t without them
All diffs will be different. Iv got two behind my pinion bearing and two on the ring gear side. My outher diff in rear iv got two behind pinion one on ring gear. If you have a tight spot make sure you have diff seated all the way in. Also make sure your ring gear is seated flush all the way round.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back