Kraton MMX 6s 1515 vs MAX6 4985 combo For V4 KRATON, your opinions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushlesspower83

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
i was just wondering what would be a better fit esc combo for a 13.6lb v4 kraton. hard bashing, built 4 big air with ALL the proper upgrades. just want a set and forget setup. looking for 70s speeds, but also temps that allow for all day bashing.. please post your thoughts. thanks guys. ???

the 1515 is basically the same size as the stock motor - maybe a few mm longer. It will probably make a bit more power than the BLX185 motor, and has a higher KV - so it will go faster with the same pinion. BUT - it is really only a bit more powerful than stock.

The 4985 will be a HUGE difference in actual power... Bigger can, longer can, but lower KV, so you will need to go big with the pinion - plan on around a 20t.

Is that 70mph offroad bashing? That is a high bar... Tires ill get expensive too..

the 1515 is basically the same size as the stock motor - maybe a few mm longer. It will probably make a bit more power than the BLX185 motor, and has a higher KV - so it will go faster with the same pinion. BUT - it is really only a bit more powerful than stock.

The 4985 will be a HUGE difference in actual power... Bigger can, longer can, but lower KV, so you will need to go big with the pinion - plan on around a 20t.

Is that 70mph offroad bashing? That is a high bar... Tires ill get expensive too..
Thank you for the advice

At 20T you will run ~ 65mph on the road with a 4985, it will overheat on grass without fans.
You will blow tires on grass, almost every session (backflip), dirt might be doable. At 70mph you will blow backflips all day long on grass. That is just my limited experience.

4985, check bearings on arrival. Earlier this year they swapped vendors and the installed version is only rated at 32ooorpm, simple bearing swap but need to be aware.
Fans are a must. I went down to an 18T for now but ESC overheats here in FL (grass). Installed a better fan for now, motor is at ~ 160F with dual fans.

Don't know the 1515.

At 20T you will run ~ 65mph on the road with a 4985, it will overheat on grass without fans.
You will blow tires on grass, almost every session (backflip), dirt might be doable. At 70mph you will blow backflips all day long on grass. That is just my limited experience.

4985, check bearings on arrival. Earlier this year they swapped vendors and the installed version is only rated at 32ooorpm, simple bearing swap but need to be aware.
Fans are a must. I went down to an 18T for now but ESC overheats here in FL (grass). Installed a better fan for now, motor is at ~ 160F with dual fans.

Don't know the 1515.
thank you i was leaning on a max 6 combo anyway. but i just want something that will let me bash all day and have 60 to 70 mph with good temps

I'm also thinking of getting this combo,do you think it would still tear up the tyres if they were gorilla taped?

It will help some but then you won't reach that higher speed anyway due to smaller tire diameter. You would have to gear up and that will overheat it all again. There is no simple fix. Extra cooling is a good answer but honestly you will hardly ever bash in grass at 70mph anyway, the tires will come apart when you lift a wheel and you are not fast on your throttle.
These really depends highly on your bashing style and surface. My grass surface is bumpy and cut every 2 weeks or so, public park style and typically above 85F. YMMV

Feel free to try it out, it's fun but will be expensive on tires. Do this at ~60 and 90% of the problems go away, motor fan is still recommended but by default cooler than the stock version..

I think the 1717 castle combo is similar size to the max6/4985hw is this.
http://www.castlecreations.com/en/castle-1717-1y-sensored-motor-1650kv-060-0081-00
With this
http://www.castlecreations.com/en/mamba-monster-x-8s-33-6v-esc-010-0165-00
Not cheap but man, looks sweet and it’s sensored...
I have the hw combo and as @jkflow said, it’s a pretty solid setup, I use a couple different pinions, mostly a 20t with the original Backflips.
$360 for the combo-

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/1-6th-scale/mamba-monster-x-8s-33-6v-esc-w-1717-1650kv-010-0165-02

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/castle-1717-1y-sensored-motor-1650kv-060-0081-00
With this
I have the hw combo and as @jkflow said, it’s a pretty solid setup, I use a couple different pinions, mostly a 20t with the original Backflips.
it is sweet man. ive looked at it i am just after mid 60s 70s i am looking for my rig to just have the power if i needed. but i am still on the fence on what to purchase. I am not worried about the $$$ what so ever, just want a reliable power plant with plenty of power ????????

Actually I ran a 23t with that combo just fine. It's a good combo, but really heavy for what you get. And if it weren't for the fact I have two Max6 ESCs I would get the MMX 8S with a tp power 4060cm?
With this
? I was digging & digging for a 1717, and now they come out with a sensored version.? ?‍♂️ I got a sweet 8S motor anyways?

Actually I ran a 23t with that combo just fine. It's a good combo, but really heavy for what you get. And if it weren't for the fact I have two Max6 ESCs I would get the MMX 8S with a tp power 4060cm?

? I was digging & digging for a 1717, and now they come out with a sensored version.? ?‍♂️ I got a sweet 8S motor anyways?
max 6 combo 1650kv or mmx combo

Yup as others have stated I would not go with the MMX 1515 combo, but you should be able to use the MMX with the 4985 1650kv Hobbywing motor, I run mine with the Mamba Monster 2 and I have no issues, hottest temp I've seen on the motor is 150* and the esc was about 130*.

Don't know the 1515.
what fans should i order? i live in Spokane, it gets hot hear sometimes and i bash hard i don't care for budget fans i need the best available do u have any ideas?

you were saying i could run a 23 tooth pinion without any real heat problems? i am about to order pinions from tekno rc and was wondering what your thoughts are about the pinion size? max 6 4985 w/ pps motor mount. car 13.6 lb

I'm wondering how. Or for how long? I just tried a 23 tooth on a Hobbystar 4092 1730kv and it's stupid fast, but heat, with fans, got a little high just as fast. And that was on concrete. Maybe because of the added traction?

I'm wondering how. Or for how long? I just tried a 23 tooth on a Hobbystar 4092 1730kv and it's stupid fast, but heat, with fans, got a little high just as fast. And that was on concrete. Maybe because of the added traction?
I think they are notorious for running a little hot. I geared my max6/hobbystar 1730's at 22/46 I believe and I have been in the 150's at the most but I run the NTF fans. I gear the 1430's up to 24/46 with a yeah racing dual fan mount and it has been around the same temps on my notorious. I'm looking into some high flow fans that will take the abuse to keep my rigs cooler for sure. NTF are awesome but pricy when you are looking at getting 9 sets for your rigs.
what fans should i order? i live in Spokane, it gets hot hear sometimes and i bash hard i don't care for budget fans i need the best available do u have any ideas?

you were saying i could run a 23 tooth pinion without any real heat problems? i am about to order pinions from tekno rc and was wondering what your thoughts are about the pinion size? max 6 4985 w/ pps motor mount. car 13.6 lb
I'd probably try 20/22 and see what you have for heat. mine did run pretty hot in my typhon at 22/50 but that body sits down low on it and I couldn't get a good fan setup under the body.

I think they are notorious for running a little hot. I geared my max6/hobbystar 1730's at 22/46 I believe and I have been in the 150's at the most but I run the NTF fans. I gear the 1430's up to 24/46 with a yeah racing dual fan mount and it has been around the same temps on my notorious. I'm looking into some high flow fans that will take the abuse to keep my rigs cooler for sure. NTF are awesome but pricy when you are looking at getting 9 sets for your rigs.

I'd probably try 20/22 and see what you have for heat. mine did run pretty hot in my typhon at 22/50 but that body sits down low on it and I couldn't get a good fan setup under the body.
i am gonna try 21 tooth on the max6 4985 combo. i am looking into fans any ideas

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back