MMX8S help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flames77

Chasing down triple digits
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Talion
  7. Typhon 3s
Ok guys. So as some of you know I got a MMX8S for the Infraction. Well low and behold it will not work properly when paired with a spektrum avc receiver. It will however work just fine with a regular spektrum sr215 or 315 receiver. Has anybody else ran into this problem?? I need you all’s help!!!

Did you do a full calibration between transmitter and receiver followed by throttle travel calibration with ESC?
For RX/TX you have to follow the right sequence with throttle full/reverse and turn right/left as per manual.

Did you do the Castle throttle calibration?
  • Turn on the ESC
  • Hold full throttle on transmitter while turning it on
  • Wait for the flashing lights to turn red, then full reverse
  • When the lights flash yellow, go neutral
  • ESC should reboot and is ready to rip

Sure did. We even tried 3 different Sr6110at receivers. The receivers have no response to the throttle calibration.
I had the exact same issue, the funny thing is that my receiver isn't responding to any throttle input anymore (even stock Firma ESC) . Did you check if the throttle still works with other ESCs.

• Turn on the ESC
I have. I’m not sure what I may be doing wrong. I’m gonna go and pick it back up from my lhs and troubleshoot it some more. I appreciate your input!

• Turn on the ESC
Ok so I tried that as well and it won’t respond to that. Right now there’s a solid yellow light on the Esc with a red light that blinks 4 times then every few seconds a green light and a beep. I can put a non avc receiver in and it works no problem. And if I put the avc receiver in a different truck, it works with no problem. So I’m super stumped!

Stumped as well, AVC really has nothing to do with anything in this case. It just limits your throttle or impacts steering when the gyro detects movement, which is not the case at all.
Technically you are stating the impossible as there is no way for the ESC to know which RX you have installed.

Silly question, are you plugging it into the throttle output? It's NOT the second slot on this RX, but the third, it's labelled.
Assuming its a SRS6110AT or or 6100AT.
I just did that on mine, just don't tell anyone :rolleyes:

Clipboard01.jpg

Stumped as well, AVC really has nothing to do with anything in this case. It just limits your throttle or impacts steering when the gyro detects movement, which is not the case at all.
Technically you are stating the impossible as there is no way for the ESC to know which RX you have installed.

Silly question, are you plugging it into the throttle output? It's NOT the second slot on this RX, but the third, it's labelled.
Assuming its a SRS6110AT or or 6100AT.
I just did that on mine, just don't tell anyone :rolleyes:

View attachment 101604
Yes sir I am. Matter of fact if I plug the Esc into the steering channel and the steering into throttle channel then the motor works with the steering wheel. But the throttle won’t turn the steering.

Well you’ve got me stumped. I would reach out to Castle support. Maybe @robert@castle can chime in?
Ok I finally got it figured out but I can’t get it to do the throttle calibrate. It runs but you can tell it’s not at full capacity. And I have been in touch with Robert. He has been helping me the best he can. And I really appreciate all of you guys chiming in.

Ok I finally got it figured out but I can’t get it to do the throttle calibrate. It runs but you can tell it’s not at full capacity. And I have been in touch with Robert. He has been helping me the best he can. And I really appreciate all of you guys chiming in.

Do you have ABS enabled on the transmitter?

Do you have ABS enabled on the transmitter?
Yes. I noticed that when I took it for a test drive that it was kinda slow and when I applied the “brake” that it would immediately go in reverse. There was no gradual slow down.Needless to say I didn’t do that to much in fear of shearing teeth off the gears.

What was the solution?

What was the solution?
I changed radios and plugged the white aux wire into the receiver. I have no clue why that did the trick. Now I gotta figure out how to calibrate it. When I go forward and apply brakes, it immediately goes reverse. And that’s with the brake turned all the way down.

I changed radios and plugged the white aux wire into the receiver. I have no clue why that did the trick. Now I gotta figure out how to calibrate it. When I go forward and apply brakes, it immediately goes reverse. And that’s with the brake turned all the way down.
Do you have access to a Castle Link? Maybe your ESC is set to Crawler mode. And I think you need to turn up the brake to 100% while calibrating.

Yes. I noticed that when I took it for a test drive that it was kinda slow and when I applied the “brake” that it would immediately go in reverse. There was no gradual slow down.Needless to say I didn’t do that to much in fear of shearing teeth off the gears.

ABS messes up throttle calibration because it makes it so the ESC never sees a steady value in reverse. Also as you pointed out, it can cause the car to start going into reverse. The transmitter has no indication what the car is actually doing and the ABS function just pulses full brake and full coast. So it will lock up the tires for a second and then the next time I goes to apply the breaks the ESC thinks the car is stopped because the motor isn't spinning from the last time it hit the brakes and starts spinning the motor backwards. We recommend that no one ever use any ABS function on a transmitter because it doesn't work and it just makes it harder to control the car. At the very least, it needs to be disabled for throttle calibration.

Based on your description of going slow forward and instantly going reverse, it sounds like you might have the throttle channel reversed on the transmitter. If you set the car up on some boxes to keep the tires off the ground, you should be able to see 3 LEDs on the ESC. When you go forward, it should show green; When you go in reverse, it should show red; and when you are coasting, it should show yellow. If it is showing red while forward, you need to reverse the throttle channel on the transmitter and then you need to reverse the motor direction using a castle link or using stick programming as described in the manual.

ABS messes up throttle calibration because it makes it so the ESC never sees a steady value in reverse. Also as you pointed out, it can cause the car to start going into reverse. The transmitter has no indication what the car is actually doing and the ABS function just pulses full brake and full coast. So it will lock up the tires for a second and then the next time I goes to apply the breaks the ESC thinks the car is stopped because the motor isn't spinning from the last time it hit the brakes and starts spinning the motor backwards. We recommend that no one ever use any ABS function on a transmitter because it doesn't work and it just makes it harder to control the car. At the very least, it needs to be disabled for throttle calibration.

Based on your description of going slow forward and instantly going reverse, it sounds like you might have the throttle channel reversed on the transmitter. If you set the car up on some boxes to keep the tires off the ground, you should be able to see 3 LEDs on the ESC. When you go forward, it should show green; When you go in reverse, it should show red; and when you are coasting, it should show yellow. If it is showing red while forward, you need to reverse the throttle channel on the transmitter and then you need to reverse the motor direction using a castle link or using stick programming as described in the manual.
Hey Robert I finally got it all figured out and working properly. Now you were saying something about ABS. Were you meaning AVC??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back