Modge Podge and Cheap Acrylics Sacrilege?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiggs H

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
So if you've ready any of my posts it's no secret that I'm a budget guy so that means trying to make use of anything I have available around the house - that being said, I've got some questionable decal/sticker ideas and I know a good way to "lock in" decals is with a "clear coat". Can Modge Podge work as a clear coat? I ask becuase, you guessed it, the wife has some with all of her art stuff.

Speaking of my wife's art stuff, she has TONS of colors of acrylic paint (in the little dollar bottles) - when I did model rockets I found out quick that regular spray paint is the way to go, but in RC I don't think the aerodynamics are quite as important, especially since the paint is applied to the under side of bodies - so can cheap acrylics do anything special with bodies? Won't need an answer to this until I paint my first body but still, the question is on my mind!

The cheap acrylics can’t bend with a body and, from experience, will crack off at the first slight bend. You should use a polycarbonate spray paint for an rc body. Or, polycarbonate paint in an airbrush. This paint sticks and is flexible.
Here’s one I did. The grey is with polycarbonate spray.
The black was normal paint, from the kid I bought it from. He said he used it as a show body. I ran it, and it turned to the red/yellow one!

Attachments

• 181C7C3C-0536-4594-AB33-402B0705843E.jpeg
    181C7C3C-0536-4594-AB33-402B0705843E.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 26F2D43C-F870-4218-A654-59E1DB919E2B.jpeg
    26F2D43C-F870-4218-A654-59E1DB919E2B.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 58B44A66-23B6-4A5A-A3AB-870E7F4468CA.jpeg
    58B44A66-23B6-4A5A-A3AB-870E7F4468CA.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 34
  • D8BA14DC-E51E-4C4C-8F30-F00DF3AC9976.jpeg
    D8BA14DC-E51E-4C4C-8F30-F00DF3AC9976.jpeg
    524.3 KB · Views: 29
The cheap acrylics can’t bend with a body and, from experience, will crack off at the first slight bend. You should use a polycarbonate spray paint for an rc body. Or, polycarbonate paint in an airbrush. This paint sticks and is flexible.
That makes perfect sense - thanks! So regular rustoleum spray paint also won't do the trick then? Don't recall them having anything on the can about being polycarbonate - figured I'd eventually just invest in cans of the Tamiya stuff, I'm sure that stuff is fine right?

Correct, rustoleum wouldn’t work. The Tamiya “PS-xx” paints are perfect, make sure it’s not anything but PS and then the two numbers. Or, use Traxxas paint, or Duratrax, or I believe Spaz Stix has sprays. Let us know when/if you do one!
Great tips! if I had taken the time to peruse this section of the forum more I probably would have figured that out! Thanks for the quick answers. It's probably going to be quite some time before I do any body work aside from the random spot repair of my Granite BOOST's body lol

Sounds good. Almost all info is already here, and not too bad to find with a couple minutes usually. Luckily, most people here are friendly, so there’s no reason not to be helpful. A bit of research goes a long way though.

I've seen videos in the past where some people were using modge podge to apply clippings from magazines and comics to the inside of their shells with excellent results.

I've seen videos in the past where some people were using modge podge to apply clippings from magazines and comics to the inside of their shells with excellent results.
I remember that being a thing back in the late 90s early 2000s.

Answering the original poster.

Nothing that you will buy at Walmart will correctly work for an RC body.
Tamyia PS paint some colors are cheaper than others… but there’s a few that are $15 to $20 per can depending
Traxxas paint…. Cheap enough. Big can is $15
Duratrax paint pretty cheap
Spazstick paint most expensive stuff…

If you’re doing a $50+ body… another 15$ to $35 to do the right way would be cheaper in the long run. Enjoy!

I remember that being a thing back in the late 90s early 2000s.

Answering the original poster.

Nothing that you will buy at Walmart will correctly work for an RC body.
Tamyia PS paint some colors are cheaper than others… but there’s a few that are $15 to $20 per can depending
Traxxas paint…. Cheap enough. Big can is $15
Duratrax paint pretty cheap
Spazstick paint most expensive stuff…

If you’re doing a $50+ body… another 15$ to $35 to do the right way would be cheaper in the long run. Enjoy!
Great info, thank you!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back