Kraton Modification of the weekend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 6447
Temp gun is a very good investment,should also monitor battery temps,that will let you know if your pushing your battery.I installed some new fans yesterday,replaced the esc fan with a Maclan 24,000 rpm version and these Hot Racing Turbo fans.Will try and give them a try today after work to see if they make any difference!

You could use an angled mount on your ESC fan with the high speed fan you have. It may actually be strong enough to hit the motor heatsink also.

I wonder if that angled mount would help a little bit to keep grass and debris from getting stuck in the heatsink.

Attachments

• TeamCESCFanMount-3.jpg
    TeamCESCFanMount-3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
That angled mount is a great idea, but is going to need vertical support on the high end. I am sure you guys can make something that will do the trick.

I ordered the HR belcranks recently and some quality bearings to compliment them. I'll be installing these next and hopefully it will be a plug and play deal. I already hear it's a quality part.... I shall see for myself. (Stock is fine s also. I also got some material for new mudguards that I'm making, hopefully that comes out decent and I can share some good pictures in the near future.

What I really want is good weather !!!

Last edited:
The HR Bell Crank is awesome, and come with bearings. I used one of the big shims, from Mugen Diff shim set, on the top of the each assembly. My steering feels really unrestricted now.

So here's what I did last night. I received my spare screws from Grainger, and I guess I made a mistake in my order and I received Shiney Stainless Steel Cap Screws with the Cylindrical heads. I didn't think I ordered stainless and I know it's generally softer, but the Steel qualify was the same as the black screws so I decided to use them.

I went around the whole car swapping the stock button heads for the Stainless cap screws. And it looks pretty sweet!

No stainless in the chassis, but the front and rear bulkheads, and shock towers look sweet. I did them all the way down to the screw that holds the on off swtich, ESC, servo mounting screws, even the 2 on top of the wing, which look cool on the red aluminum wing buttons. I'll have to figure out the picture thing now that it is basically done. Still waiting on the GKA Servo Mount though.

Stainless Sounds real nice to me.

I know the bellcrank part comes with bearings... however, I've been using my brand of choice through my Kraton. some brands are sealed much better I'm finding out.

Gotcha on the bearings. Can you link me to what you are using in the center diff mount and motor mount? I think the Fast Eddie Bearing I put in there, were not seated correctly, and that's why the disintegrated. I have the stock in there now, but will want to swap out soon enough.

And the Stainless Cap Screws add some seriously useless Bling to the car.

Gotcha on the bearings. Can you link me to what you are using in the center diff mount and motor mount? I think the Fast Eddie Bearing I put in there, were not seated correctly, and that's why the disintegrated. I have the stock in there now, but will want to swap out soon enough.

The bearing that failed on my center diff was a Fast Eddie bearing,switched to the stock bearing and no problems since.

I'm thinking about putting the shims underneath the bellcranks if possible. I'm not sure yet.

Thats' a good idea, to add it to the bottom, out of the way. I didn't realize I had slop in there, until after it was put together. Adding one to the top was easiest route for me.

And I will probably keep the stock center bearing until I get the new center diff mount.

For depricenator.....In the areas that I destroyed a bearing too fast...I installed Boca ceramic with grease and seals. In the other areas of the Kraton ....I have Avid installed to save money because they have outlasted another brand and are still going strong. Avid and Boca mixture throughout my Kraton. The Boca's ceramic went in the center drive line. They were advertised for running in harsh, dirty conditions with heat. However, they are about 10 bucks a bearing. I notice the seals are very good on these bearings.

The Avid yellow seals are good but the black seals are weak...more to come about that.
I have never used a standard stock bearing in my Kraton. I never gave them a chance because they look like they have no seal. So I can't comment on them at all, they went in the trash. The Fast Eddie black seal bearings don't hold up long for me. The sand destroys them in the outer hubs after one run. One run...full of grit. They may be fine for other people...not me. The black seal Avids seem to be the same bearing as a Fast Eddie...the Avid yellow seal appear to be a different seal. It may have something to do with the fact that they last in my Kraton. What you will notice with an Avid bearing kit...they will not provide you a "Yellow Seal" bearing unless its exposed to the elements on the outside in your application...an internal bearing of the vehicle will be a black seal or sometimes no seal from Avid. Ahhhh.... This is because they have less rolling resistance and are for racing. So...even with me observing the seals, the black seal seems weak and the bearings seem to spin easier. That's why Avid, in some kits, only put the good yellow seal to the outside...that would be a yellow sealed bearing from them. They give you a black seal for non exposed. They look exactly like a Fast Eddie bearing. (Black Seal) Avid does this to keep the rolling resistance down yet provide the seals were it's absolutely necessary. Avid makes a better bearing kit for the same price as Fast Eddie in my opinion. At least when used in sand with a Kraton.

Another thing I did for the center driveline, and this was a pain, I spent time getting a drive shafts spinning true. Helps the bearing hold up better. I took the wobble out of one. Some are better than others when you get them. I had one that needed work and it was brand new out of the bag. I'm pretty good at this from flying micro helis. I could get the main shafts back into shape without purchasing a new one. It's not real easy but you can get them perfect and most the time a lot better. If I see lots of run out...most the time I can work most of it out.

Last edited:
Right on. I will be watching the center bearings closely. And since I do run in some loose sandy dirt, I will watch the Hub Bearings too. May have to stack a set of Avids in the Amazon Cart.

IMG_0511.JPG
Right on. I will be watching the center bearings closely. And since I do run in some loose sandy dirt, I will watch the Hub Bearings too. May have to stack a set of Avids in the Amazon Cart.

I've been going strong with a set of Avids. Anywhere the outside of the bearing is exposed to the outside, there is a yellow seal on it. however... in my center diff these are ceramic Boca's and they are sealed tight on both sides.

Thats very nice!
When I rebuilt my Kraton (after getting hit by a car:mad:) I installed all Fast Eddie bearings everywhere. So far so good.
I like the Boca's on the center diff. Looks proper.
Not to jump around, but are you digging the Hot Racing additions over stock? I like the revised motor mount.

What's up Dubb !!! My very poorly written bearing explanation is just my opinion and experience. Hope it helps or makes some sense.

Everyone here has been enjoying the HR upgrades. We have been having great fun trying them out. I had to modify the motor mount to work, that was the only part so far with some issues. I was lucky enough to do a clean job on modifying it and getting it to work. With that said, I now love the part. Just mad that I had to modify it. However.... it was a good time. I enjoy stuff like that. I put some pictures up a while back in this thread. A few of us here have been sharing some mods that are slightly extreme. Lots of detail etc. How you been ? What sort of eye candy do you have for us !!!

IMG_0616.JPG
IMG_0615.JPG
I'm making some molded wheel wells that fit my lexan body. I'll be attaching them to the existing side plates with black anodized Chicago Bolts/screws .I'll use maby 3 per side. I matched the rear swing arm mudguards to this pattern also . The pattern goes well with the overall look of my truck. I gave up on my order I placed for the Outcast mudflap. It has been over 2 months. I made these out of the Kydex material. It should really keep a little more debris out.

View attachment 6526 View attachment 6525 I'm making some molded wheel wells that fit my lexan body. I'll be attaching them to the existing side plates with black anodized Chicago Bolts/screws .I'll use maby 3 per side. I matched the rear swing arm mudguards to this pattern also . The pattern goes well with the overall look of my truck. I gave up on my order I placed for the Outcast mudflap. It has been over 2 months. I made these out of the Kydex material. It should really keep a little more debris out.
Are you sure your truck has seen dirt?That is one clean Kraton!

IMG_0359.PNG
Are you sure your truck has seen dirt?That is one clean Kraton!

LOL, Off topic but......

I've been rebuilding this since about (end of summer). It's got lots of new on it and has been gone over 100% now. I think the chassis, main parts are original. Then, electronics etc, same body. It's only seen pavement 2-3 times to try the MaxAmp battery since . However... I posted a vid of my bash area last season but have not been there since very last decent day of summer. It's all grass rollers in sandy soil. The sand is the only thing that gets me. No big rocks to hit, cars to run it over or much top soil dust flying. Just a beautiful area to run in. I've been running RC's for a very long time. I've learned.... a good drainage ditch is fun and relatively easy on parts because they are smooth, wide open...not to much to run into or get run over by. All I need are grass rollers for air time , a powerful rc and cool buzz. Run till it's done... repair.... repeat. Rebuild or improve over the winter. I also don't bother with much off road in the winter...used as down time to stay warm. I'm not a fan of bad weather....If I can't enjoy the weather, I'll build, maintain or repair something indoors. Get ready for spring.
How do you like the side rail mod ? Simple to make. The outerwear is nice also .... but they cut down on air flow sometimes. So I decided to try blocking the front wheel well and the gap under the body's rocker area. Maybe I'll try an Outerwear also. Just trying to stop some sand from blasting in from the front tires. I think this will hold up well and help. I'll take some after run pics next season for K. LOL
http://vid934.photobucket.com/albums/ad184/bailout27/editedVideo_1-7-2017_81206_PM_zpsqj098xxr.mp4

Waiting on the bell cranks to go in soon. Since it's crappy as hell out....I'll keep up on mods. :confused:

Last edited:
These came out solid. Perfect fit up in the front wheel well of the body. Flat black may have been a good color to use also. These turned out to be keepers, the final fit is spot on and just perfectly formed around the sides. It's really going to tame the sand blasting from the front tires. I like the pattern but I could see me coating these with some flat black maybe. Idk.... as long as they work and are well made it's cool.

Attachments

• IMG_0642.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 76
Nah man, that diamond plate pattern looks tough as heck. Nice work.

I was thinking of getting a body hydro dipped in diamond plate like that. Just black windows and diamond plate, would look sweet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back