Kraton Modification of the weekend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had that motor in my Kraton before this one on a 16 tooth. For some reason it got hot fast. Even on a 12 tooth it was getting real hot. I have not heard anyone else ever report on it as it running hot. It may have just been me. Idk.

I'm with you on the chassis to motor support. I don't really know if it's needed. From what I've seen on various RC's with big motors is to support the motor. However.... if I land on the roof again. What's supporting it ? With a all metal center hanger diff supports and a carbon fiber plate on top.... I think it's a little stronger than stock now.

A soft plastic support on foam double sided tape is what I got under mine. It should be fine. :confused: ????

I had that motor in my Kraton before this one on a 16 tooth. For some reason it got hot fast. Even on a 12 tooth it was getting real hot. I have not heard anyone else ever report on it as it running hot. It may have just been me. Idk.

I'm with you on the chassis to motor support. I don't really know if it's needed. From what I've seen on various RC's with big motors is to support the motor. However.... if I land on the roof again. What's supporting it ? With a all metal center hanger diff supports and a carbon fiber plate on top.... I think it's a little stronger than stock now.

A soft plastic support on foam double sided tape is what I got under mine. It should be fine. :confused: ????

Has it gotten hot before? Ussally a BL motor that heats up fast is damaged. (Magnets demagnetizing). I've only destroyed 1 BL motor, ran it around 220, noumerous times. It finialy coged out, took esc with it.

I ran it yesterday with a 16t and temps never got over 108f with the Badlands Mx38's.So much torque!

IDK....everyone I talk to has no problem with that motor. Mine ran hot on the street with a 16,14, 12 tooth.... I have no clue what was going on with it. It shot up to 180 F in no time. I think you are correct Timritchieblue, it may have been defective. I shut that thing down and just gave up on it. The motor I have now 1480KV....much better luck with it. It's good to hear others have success with the one I had....that makes me at least have some more closure to why that motor was running so hot for me. I was shocked to see that it was so hot after about 2 passes. Don't forget... this is all on 6S.

Last edited:
I just saw the other day that the 1480KV is back in stock. Based off your enjoyment of it 'm seriously contemplating ordering one up. I am happy with the 1730KV so far but I haven't gone any farther up than a 14t pinion.

How was it on 14 tooth ? Speed, temp. I seriously only ran mine briefly on three pinions.... checked temps each time, No good. I would have kept it but I sold it just thinking it was too much KV etc and the voltage rating is low. The guy who purchased it, put it in a Ducted fan jet of some sort and said it was fine in that. He even gave me all sorts of good feedback on the sale after he tried it. Who knows.

So far, I like the 14t on 6s, has gobs of torque and is fast enough to get me a little scared at times... It's a little underwhelming on 4s though.
I never measured temps but it does get hot after a full run but not as hot as the 2000KV I had on before it did. I do run the Trencher X's and those things are huge so that probably doesn't help.

IMG_0217.JPG
I got a set of Backflips for my Kraton as my next set of tires for it. They appear to be the best I've had.... only time will tell. It's too cold out for me to bother with the Kraton. Although I did manage to snap a steering shaft on my kids rc. He threw a 3S in it, new tires and a wheelie bar and handed me the controller. I had to launch it for him. Lol. New parts orders for that also.

Attachments

• IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
View attachment 4300 I got a set of Backflips for my Kraton as my next set of tires for it. They appear to be the best I've had.... only time will tell. It's too cold out for me to bother with the Kraton. Although I did manage to snap a steering shaft on my kids rc. He threw a 3S in it, new tires and a wheelie bar and handed me the controller. I had to launch it for him. Lol. New parts orders for that also.
I am running the 16t on the 1730 motor with Badland mx38's,fast on 4s,ballistic on 5s,temps running in deep sand got uo to 120f,i did have the esc shutdown,it was also 120f.I think the Savox 1270 draws to much power from the internal bec and that's what over heated.Have a glitch buster coming to see if that helps!If not i might put in the Blx200 which has a stronger bec.I have a 17t to try next!

I was running that motor on 6S.... it' should be quite happy on 4S and 5S. It's made to run more in the 20 volt range. It got hot on 6S for me.. running a small pinion and the Badlands 3.8 should keep it pretty happy if you went to 6S with it. It can take 6S but for me it was getting too hot with larger tires on it. Mine more so than others. That's why I dropped down a little more on the KV's. So I can revisit a 6S setup again, looks like I can just squeak in the pinion I need to reach the mph I want and still run pretty cool. this thing needs a 20 tooth just to get in the 45 mph range. It's rated for a heavy 1/8th scale to light 1/5 scale rc.

Last edited:
I was running that motor on 6S.... it' should be quite happy on 4S and 5S. It's made to run more in the 20 volt range. It got hot on 6S for me.. running a small pinion and the Badlands 3.8 should keep it pretty happy if you went to 6S with it. It can take 6S but for me it was getting too hot with larger tires on it. Mine more so than others. That's why I dropped down a little more on the KV's. So I can revisit a 6S setup again, looks like I can just squeak in the pinion I need to reach the mph I want and still run pretty cool. this thing needs a 20 tooth just to get in the 45 mph range. It's rated for a heavy 1/8th scale to light 1/5 scale rc.

With the 17t i will get 6s speeds with a 5s battery.Motor temps say i could go even more.

All I want is my desired speed, and longer run times with a 5000 mah size 6S. 50mph is my goal (A little less is ok). I like to balance my vehicle left and right and front and back evenly, so I need a battery that balances well with my motor. I'm perfectly balanced now.

I don't look at 6S as more speed. I look at my power system overall. To see where I can be at my desired speed and run my ESC, battery and motor cool. High voltage low KV = less current, less current = less heat. The torque is higher also. 6S gets me over 1/2 hour run time with this motor and battery. No component is screaming for mercy. From what I can tell, it's very efficient. 5S on the stock motor got me 18 mins with a 5200 mah.. The Battery was a bit warm I noticed and It didn't have the punch which is actually torque, not speed.

After trying a bunch of motors and battery sizes. I'm just finding my recent combo to work well for what I want. I have a 5S pack also and can never get the same sort of punch and torque as a 6S setup with a long can low KV motor. 5S is nice and I likes it. But My Kraton wouldn't launch as far off jumps. I got the torque now of 6S. the speed is still there also. cool temps on everything with stock tires, exactly what I'm looking for. . I found that I rather use more voltage and less current. Then gear for a speed that is insane but still under where I start to see tire issues. By looking at my data loger.... everything looks good.( Found my sweet spot). It all depends what you want to do.

This winter I decided to just stick with the Kraton.... I'll be painting a new body just for something to do. Nothing fancy... just going to try a taller body more of a rounded top.

Last edited:
20161212_173857.jpg
20161212_173857.jpg
I've been really curious about what I can get out my kraton after seeing all the different combos and set ups other people have. With a 14 t, 2000 kv motor and 6s, 5400mah out of each lipo. I was able to pull 55 mph. I thought that was pretty impressive. I knew 60 out of the box would be a little hard to get but now I'm wondering if I had the stock 2050 kv motor in it with the same lipos if I could actually hit 60mph???

View attachment 4345 View attachment 4345 I've been really curious about what I can get out my kraton after seeing all the different combos and set ups other people have. With a 14 t, 2000 kv motor and 6s, 5400mah out of each LiPo. I was able to pull 55 mph. I thought that was pretty impressive. I knew 60 out of the box would be a little hard to get but now I'm wondering if I had the stock 2050 kv motor in it with the same lipos if I could actually hit 60mph???
I tried my Leo 4092/1730 with a 17t pinion and ran it hard on a soft sand track and it got up to 108f, esc was 138f on 4s.I think im going to remove my fan, doesn't seem needed.Haven't done speed runs with the tires i have ,they really turn into saucers.

I tried my Leo 4092/1730 with a 17t pinion and ran it hard on a soft sand track and it got up to 108f, esc was 138f on 4s.I think im going to remove my fan, doesn't seem needed.Haven't done speed runs with the tires i have ,they really turn into saucers.
I have been looking for a new motor. Do you recommend the one you have? And is there a big difference between the the stock motor and the one you have right now?

I have been looking for a new motor. Do you recommend the one you have? And is there a big difference between the the stock motor and the one you have right now?
Hugh difference,and i highly recommend,Rcjuice had them in stock for $79.95.Way more power than you could ever use,cooler battery,motor and esc temps and longer run times.I tried the 2000kv Leo 4082 and it was more powerfull than stock but would run close to 160f and everything was warm( battery ,esc).

The stock motor is fine.... what are you trying to accomplish is the question. Speed runs, torque, long run times, happy medium ? High KV is good with lower voltage. Low KV is good with higher voltage. However.... you can run a high KV motor hot(high voltage) and get serious speed. Or run a low KV high voltage and have to gear it up. But you will get stuff hot easier with high KV high voltage. . If your gear is too cool.... your not getting the most out of it also. Motor temps of 140F are saying your geared right.(just my opinion) you can tweak the motor timing if you don't want to change a pinion gear also. It will make smaller adjustments than a pinion change. There are lots of variables.

The stock motor on 6S with the larger pinion 14 tooth hits 60. 2 batteries used rather than one is known to provide more speed. I never proved it. I like less wire, so I use one battery only . ... Im More into running full packs, long run time, good torque and speed, 140F max motor temp. I have data logs, temp gun, and an app checking all this. Usually a low KV geared up on 6S tends to get that for me. 6S got my 2200 KV and the 2050k setup hot with 12 tooth small pinions and shut down my ESC . On 5S they are fine. 6S lowers the current of your setup when paired with the right motor. So does 5S over 4S and so on. However... there are too many variables for one setup and weight and driving style etc plays into it. Just trial and error. Then there is what you think is best and feels right to you.

The longer can, low KV motors tend to provide more torque. The mass of the larger internal moving parts does this, Which helps keep a heavy rc cooler. It needs less amps to get moving.

The Leopard motors are nice and reasonably priced. I'm running 6S and have a lower KV than Kaua he's a little higher KV on 4 and 5S. (Perfect KV choice 1780kv ) I prefer the Leopard motor over stock.... overall...my setup seems happier with temps running 6S. (1480kv) I'm hitting 50mph max. I can fit another 2 teeth worth of pinion still. All this while running longer and cooler than I started out. I posted some data logs on it. This isn't just guesstimates, Dee told me so also. I trust what Dee says.

Note !!!! I did have to drill and tap the motor plate for larger screws. Not a big deal.

Usually A 6S setup with the right KV motor will produce lower current draw, more torque, more rpm and greater efficiency than a 4S setup with the properly chosen KV motor. it's simply just more voltage. The torque is noticed when jumping and bashing.

Last edited:
The stock motor is fine.... what are you trying to accomplish is the question. Speed runs, torque, long run times, happy medium ? High KV is good with lower voltage. Low KV is good with higher voltage. However.... you can run a high KV motor hot(high voltage) and get serious speed. Or run a low KV high voltage and have to gear it up. But you will get stuff hot easier with high KV high voltage. . If your gear is too cool.... your not getting the most out of it also. Motor temps of 140F are saying your geared right.(just my opinion) you can tweak the motor timing if you don't want to change a pinion gear also. It will make smaller adjustments than a pinion change. There are lots of variables.

The stock motor on 6S with the larger pinion 14 tooth hits 60. 2 batteries used rather than one is known to provide more speed. I never proved it. I like less wire, so I use one battery only . ... Im More into running full packs, long run time, good torque and speed, 140F max motor temp. I have data logs, temp gun, and an app checking all this. Usually a low KV geared up on 6S tends to get that for me. 6S got my 2200 KV and the 2050k setup hot with 12 tooth small pinions and shut down my ESC . On 5S they are fine. 6S lowers the current of your setup when paired with the right motor. So does 5S over 4S and so on. However... there are too many variables for one setup and weight and driving style etc plays into it. Just trial and error. Then there is what you think is best and feels right to you.

The longer can, low KV motors tend to provide more torque. The mass of the larger internal moving parts does this, Which helps keep a heavy rc cooler. It needs less amps to get moving.

The Leopard motors are nice and reasonably priced. I'm running 6S and have a lower KV than Kaua he's a little higher KV on 4 and 5S. (Perfect KV choice 1780kv ) I prefer the Leopard motor over stock.... overall...my setup seems happier with temps running 6S. (1480kv) I'm hitting 50mph max. I can fit another 2 teeth worth of pinion still. All this while running longer and cooler than I started out. I posted some data logs on it. This isn't just guesstimates, Dee told me so also. I trust what Dee says.

Note !!!! I did have to drill and tap the motor plate for larger screws. Not a big deal.

Usually A 6S setup with the right KV motor will produce lower current draw, more torque, more rpm and greater efficiency than a 4S setup with the properly chosen KV motor. it's simply just more voltage. The torque is noticed when jumping and bashing.
Thanks for the input. The driving style I'm going for is more on the streets than dirt. I'm looking for some good tires and rims for road use but the motor and gearing used for that I'm unsure of. I can't wait to get the Leo. I hear nothing but good things about it.

Thanks for the input. The driving style I'm going for is more on the streets than dirt. I'm looking for some good tires and rims for road use but the motor and gearing used for that I'm unsure of. I can't wait to get the Leo. I hear nothing but good things about it.
For speed i would go with the 1730kv,with the1480kv you might run out of gearing sizes.

Just trial and errror. Keep an eye on the temps... this gives you a good idea of what's going on. I run almost always off road. I hit the street just to test stuff once in a while.

For speed i would go with the 1730kv,with the1480kv you might run out of gearing sizes.

23 tooth max on any KV is what seems to fit with the stock motor mount and center diff. 12 maybe 11 seems to be the smallest. What speeds do you want to reach with a Kraton ? If you're serious... you may want to change the center diff to a spool with a smaller spur. You have to set a goal and do some homework. Going real fast (speed runs) takes lots of work and preparation.

6S on a 1480kv with a 21 tooth puts me in the 50 mph area. I'll have to run a 23 to let you all know where that tops out and how the heat and current reads. I'm guessing over 60 all day long. Plenty fast. For my idea of speed...For straight speed runs.... you will see people going smaller spur to fit bigger pinions. So that's an option. Smaller spur gear... let me know if you want one. I have a person that's getting center spools made to sell. You can probably already get one. As far as what voltage and KV...that depends on what you want .

Had to heat shrink a soft pack today. Biggest piece of shrink tube I ever seen. I have a guard next to the main gear. Thick !!!

Attachments

• IMG_0229.JPG
    IMG_0229.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back