Mojave Mojave 2050kv motor overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BLX 2050 stockers do run hot easily. Over Heating kills them fast. It only takes like one Tooth larger at the pinion and you become too hot. But Ambients are the key. Your setup will run great in 60F temp ambients. The Mojave is a large 6s chassis. The wheel footprint is spread out... a lot of torque load despite smaller roll out of the wheels compared to a Kraton for example. I don't own one. But makes sense to me.
Fans help. But they will only bring temps down 5-10 degrees if you are lucky. Gearing is the focus here, provided your motor, drivetain and bearings are all in working order.

Hobbywing HS & fan on mine.did the job on mine overheating. Had to extend wiring to reach and put heatsink in clamp to fit.12$ I think
Better pic.i run 150mm tires on stock pinion.stays cool now in 90degrees on 6s

Attachments

• 20200711_164804.jpg
    20200711_164804.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 15951307529726624470025406963778.jpg
    15951307529726624470025406963778.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
^^^ I have the same HW HS and fan, 2 of them. I never could get that HS to fit the BLX 2050 stocker tight enough to get much heat exchange going. The HS is oversized for this motor. Even bending/compressing it didn't work for me. It's machined alu. for 42mm+ motors.
If the HS rotates or moves by touch or general bashing, it is not tight enough for my liking. The stock motor has Raised fins around the can and little surface contact is made with any HS used. So, if the fit is not very tight to the fins, there is little Heat exchange/transfer. Heat soak still remains and is probably worse off IMHO.
A fan mounted and facing the motor directly using No HS gave me lower temps. (y)
That slow 40mm HW fan breaks easily also. If I got 3 runs out of one, I was lucky. The fan cage shatters with any big air. But... fans will be fans.:LOL:
The Yeah Racing twin fan clamping HS works much better. Using that on my Lim. Using a different fan setup on my Kraton :cool:

Truck hasn't o-heated since installed so I guess it works.ive flipped it at high speed end over end bout6 times an tryed hydroplaning it an put entire truck under water HW fan still working even with bigger tires stock pinion.cant stay in the throttle as much cause it just willyz.runnin 1/2 speed gun it it stands strait up.needs willie bar.center diff meltdown an motor overheating has been my only problems so far.i haven't really AIRED IT OUT YET.nothing like airing my outcast 6s senton,Big rock .this thing is huge an heavy.setup to new for full send yet not board of it yet.there will be a video when that day comes.. got to be careful with this truck cuz it will because it will cause some serious property damage if you ain't careful

I'm running 16T pinion/stock spur in my Kraton.
It will break an ankle IMHO. I know. Property damage is bad enough.:LOL:

I got it tight as possible around can.u r right heatsink on a heatsink not tight against can don't make sense but it seems to work.a buddy of mine has stock mojave with same fan with positive results too.on mojave you have to extend wires to reach receiver thou .I would refer it.12$ also

I got two of them for $8. each. Just didn't work out for me. Short fan Wiring wasn't a big deal for me. Extenders are cheap. I even solder leads where needed.
The HS will work fine on larger upgrade motors. (42+mm) I have one fitted to my HW motor (1900kv). But I'm using a different 40mm fan I got from a PC vendor. I ate the two HW fans quickly.:cool:
I am running taller gearing in my rig. So temps are higher for me.

Anybody know what this heatsink goes to it's way too big for the 6s motor I bought it thinking it would fit.i could
Its huge,

Attachments

• 15951665324675021234829435253146.jpg
    15951665324675021234829435253146.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 15951665951685508804557642260058.jpg
    15951665951685508804557642260058.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 15951666967773934803336299396900.jpg
    15951666967773934803336299396900.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 55
That looks like a Kraton 8S HS/Fan. (46mm diameter motor)
Save it for when you upgrade your Mojave to 8S. (y) :LOL: It fits the Spektrum 8S Firma motor if I am correct.:cool:
So I changed it down to a 15T pinion. After a good hard 6S bash, the motor temped at 170 F. I don't love the slight loss of speed and acceleration though. Likely there's not great airflow under that big heavy body as well, that probably doesn't help the heat either. I think what I will likely end up doing is putting on a heatsink and fan, and then just replacing this motor with something bigger once it breaks or melts. Maybe one of the 4082 Leopard motors or something, I'm not exactly sure.
Remember, gearing down may reduce some top end, but you will gain more torque, which helps with more rapid rotation control mid air.
170F is ok'is. I feel comfortable with 150-160 tops. But ambient temps will always dictate where motor temps end up on a given day. We cant control that. Cool downs during bashing and a temp gun will guide you. Govern yourself accordingly. (y) :cool:

Last edited:
I got it tight as possible around can.u r right heatsink on a heatsink not tight against can don't make sense but it seems to work.a buddy of mine has stock mojave with same fan with positive results too.on mojave you have to extend wires to reach receiver thou .I would refer it.12$ also
I just bought the yeah racing heatsink dual fan for my mojave. I open up the receiver to plug them in and there is only one slot left, the other i am using for a lightbar. So is there a receiver i can buy with more imports? or do i need to choose between dual fan (each have their own wire) and the light bar?? I would prefer to get a receiver that will be easy to install with the mojave but will offer more ports, at least three accessories total (dual fan (2) light-bar (1)...Also it would need to be compatible with the STX3 remote. Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
STX3 is a "3 channel Radio" hence 4 ports. You wont gain extra "channel" support by adding a 6 channel RX to a 3 channel TX for instance. That 4th port is a BatteryAux port . All Rx's follow this extra Batt port design. If you run out of ports for powered accessories, you can use an "F" plug Y connector to plug two fans into the one open port remaining at the RX. BEC "power" is always available with any open "channel" port on any Rx.:cool:

I feel like your motor bearing may be bad or something. I run a 20 tooth on my mojave. I also have the scorched parts mudguards installed so the airflow is basically non existent. I have the dual fans and never get above 140... i run 6200 mah HRB 60c batts. 6s.

A Lipos Capacity, brand and C rating has little if any relation to Motor temps! Volts are volts, 6s any lipo is just that... 6s voltage.
Capacity is NOT voltage. Voltage can affects motor temps. Not Capacity.
I see this thread drifting towards misinformation. Keep the fundamentals clear regarding gearing and heat. :cigar:

I just bought the yeah racing heatsink dual fan for my mojave. I open up the receiver to plug them in and there is only one slot left, the other i am using for a lightbar. So is there a receiver i can buy with more imports? or do i need to choose between dual fan (each have their own wire) and the light bar?? I would prefer to get a receiver that will be easy to install with the mojave but will offer more ports, at least three accessories total (dual fan (2) light-bar (1)...Also it would need to be compatible with the STX3 remote. Any help appreciated.
Buying another Rx for that Non" DSMR" STX3 is not worth it IMHO. The cost of another Rx outweighs any benefit. Just upgrade to a DumboRC or Flysky RxTx if you want to upgrade and get more channels. Money best spent in this regard. Or get the Smart DX5C for $100.( without the Rx) and you can retain your current Rx. or get an Spektrum AVC combo. You will have much better adjustment precision over TH and ST AVC with this radio IF you like using AVC in the first place. Some ideas. Its not clear what you really need or want by changing out your Rx. But it seems like you want to do it for the wrong reasons? :unsure:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back